• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

What glass houses? I stepped up to the plate and got 1000/600. That is 18/11 KG. That's a man spring right there.
Indeed, right out of the "How to Make Your Mustang Handle" handbook... :rolleyes::tongue::cool::biggrin:

ahh now i get it....group buys=power.....:wink:

I don't think Rob's damper can handle my spring rates. Hehe

Indeed, right out of the "How to Make Your Mustang Handle" handbook... :rolleyes::tongue::cool::biggrin:
Did someone say Mustang?
942824_10200496149783761_1790058572_n.jpg

Did someone say Mustang?
942824_10200496149783761_1790058572_n.jpg

Haha RYU did you get that from my facebook page? I posted it the other day and tagged my buddy in it. His wife laughed and commented. He never has haha

On topic, Yea I would love to hear how that big rear bar feels. I have mine on middle hole on CT bars. The stiffest setting didn't feel right.

Nice capture^^^
Theres alot to learn in this thread.....Great education.

.....yea like how i will never be caught dead driving a mustang:eek:

Nice capture^^^
Theres alot to learn in this thread.....Great education.
Thanks OKI, I appreciate your sentiments. That was at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway where the car worked great.
Still, when I look at that picture, all I see is 'too much body roll'. Hopefully after this weekend at Sears Point, I'll have some updated pics with a noticeable improvement.

- - - Updated - - -

.....yea like how i will never be caught dead driving a mustang:eek:
Last time I did a Shelby Club event, I couldn't help noticing that the most popular tool in the paddock was a sledge hammer. Speaks volumes...:eek:

Thanks OKI, I appreciate your sentiments. That was at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway where the car worked great.
Still, when I look at that picture, all I see is 'too much body roll'. Hopefully after this weekend at Sears Point, I'll have some updated pics with a noticeable improvement.

Man, I don't think that's too bad at all. As long it doesn't affect camber and steering angle too much, I think you're pretty good! Looking forward to seeing the Sears Point pics.

Man, I don't think that's too bad at all. As long it doesn't affect camber and steering angle too much, I think you're pretty good! Looking forward to seeing the Sears Point pics.
Thanks Pb, I'm at the point with this car where I'm looking for mm and 10ths of degrees. The car works exceptionally well, best track car I've ever owned, but you're always searching for that extra 10th of a second. Everything in stages and increments. My worst fear is that we end up going backwards. Since my last event at Sears Point / Infineon Raceway last August, I've upgraded to an OS Giken LSD, changed the gearing from 4.55 FD to 4.06 FD, switched to wider & lighter wheels and bigger trophy sway bars front & rear w/adjustable end links. My only detraction is I'm stepping down from Hoosier R6's to Nitto NT01's which are definitely slower.

Weather looks great; low 52, high 81

I'm running in G4. Its a NASA event so it will be sold out and packed with high HP weekend warriors.

Can't hardly wait to chase me down some some high horsepower, high dollar track tools.

Watch this space for pics & video.

Totally understand - looking for degrees of refinement. Interestingly enough, I've been contemplating changing out the Giken 4.44 and going back to the stock 4.06. I have enough torque so that the dreaded 1 to 2 shift isn't an issue and it would cut a couple of shifts per lap.

Have you considered running the medium compound A005s?

Totally understand - looking for degrees of refinement. Interestingly enough, I've been contemplating changing out the Giken 4.44 and going back to the stock 4.06. I have enough torque so that the dreaded 1 to 2 shift isn't an issue and it would cut a couple of shifts per lap.

Have you considered running the medium compound A005s?
With your 3.6L, I think you'd be much better off going back to a 4.06 FD. It has made a world of difference for me and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs this weekend.

I have been very tempted to throw a set of Yokes on. Last fall at NSXPO at HPR, I had the opportunity to see a head to head comparison of Yokohama AOO5s vs my Hoosier R6's, when I was chasing Bruce McPherson's very well set-up NSX equipped with AOO5s. I saw 1st hand the difference between a DOT race tire vs a REAL race tire. I could keep him close for a couple of laps until his tires came up to temp. By the time his Yokes are just coming on, my Hoosiers are starting to heat cycle out and he would just start walking away from me on every exit. Very frustrating! Yes, I want that!

With your 3.6L, I think you'd be much better off going back to a 4.06 FD. It has made a world of difference for me and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs this weekend.

I have been very tempted to throw a set of Yokes on. Last fall at NSXPO at HPR, I had the opportunity to see a head to head comparison of Yokohama AOO5s vs my Hoosier R6's, when I was chasing Bruce McPherson's very well set-up NSX equipped with AOO5s. I saw 1st hand the difference between a DOT race tire vs a REAL race tire. I could keep him close for a couple of laps until his tires came up to temp. By the time his Yokes are just coming on, my Hoosiers are starting to heat cycle out and he would just start walking away from me on every exit. Very frustrating! Yes, I want that!

OMG I just looked at the prices of the A005s. :eek:

Short & Sweet:
The new Trophy bars, OS Giken & JDM 4.06 FD were bad news for all the other cars on Sunday. The 07 car felt amazing all day and I had the entire field completely covered like a blanket. The only thing holding me up were my own DOT race tires and every other car in my way. The car works so well on that track that it almost seems unfair - almost. I really need to bite the bullet and throw some Yokohama A005's race tires on her and see what her ultimate potential is at Infineon Raceway. Pics below and I'll post some in-car video later after I upload to YouTube.

My day at the track almost came to a screeching halt on the very first lap of the day. I was black flagged for passing on a full course yellow and then told to pack up and my day was over.

This was a NASA event at Infineon Raceway. I don't do a lot of their events and everytime I attend one I am reminded why not. They are well organized and usually on time. Always the most well attended of all the local club events with a Formula Mazda race for the main event along with a Porsche Challenge event. The HPDE portion is broken into 4 groups segregated by ability and performance - so they say... I ran in Group4, which is 'unlimited passing' with the fastest cars and most experienced drivers - so they say... It was about 50% Miatas and these guys are serious. There is a herd mentality amongst the Miata contingent and you can really sense the contempt towards anybody driving anything that is, well, faster. A lot of these guys are also officers in NASA including the Race Director. Thats where my problems started.

They warned us at the morning drivers meeting that passing under yellow will get you kicked and I guess they meant business because they made an example of me. It started when I lined up behind what I thought would be the most competitive car in G4; a fully race prepped wide-body 914-6 w/huge 15" wide race slicks. What I didn't realize was the driver was a complete and total moron and halfway thru the first lap, under full course yellow, he dove for an apex and passed 4 cars going into T7. I was right behind him and my momentum carried me passed the first car he passed. He did the same thing on the final corner of lap 1. He blatantly and purposefully passed 6 cars on a full course yellow. I accidentally passed one car that had slammed on his brakes.

In the subsequent mandatory drivers meeting they called my name and informed me I was excused for the day. No mention of the moron in the 914-6 who didn't even bother to show up for the meeting. Still, they gave him a verbal warning for moronic driving and kicked me to the curb. I was fuming and wanted to throw a chair at the race director but I managed to maintain my cool and waited for the meeting to break up so I could plead my case and grovel a bit to the 'high council of slow' aka race director & course marshals, all Miata pilots (not that there's anything wrong with that;). After paying my respects and pleading my case, they huddled and decided to give me another chance. I was told that 'if I so much as farted wrong, I was history'.

I was on my best behavior for the rest of the day and got nothing but thumbs up from all the marshals. The best I got from the race director was when he approached me at lunch and told me that "I'm very fast and obviously have a lot of race experience.... BUT (you knew there'd be a but) I'm too aggressive for NASA's fastest, most aggressive run group. I just smiled and thanked him for the 3 compliments.

Last edited:
btw.. i'd really love to know your IATs at the track. Seems like you're rippin' it up out there on the 2.3L and not looking back!
Me too! Shad is making me a custom aftercooler and when we install it we'll probably throw a gauge in to monitor IAT's. Just for you! :wink:

so the car felt neutral with the rear bar?

Yes, the car is incredibly stable and predictable with neutral handling and excellent turn-in and track-out. It was good before, but it is night and day better now, especially in fast off camber sweepers like the T6 carousel. At parking lot speeds the car does understeer but Infineon is a continuos radius with medium and high speed turns which is perfect for this set-up.

YMMV and may not be to your liking. IMHO Shad & Kip were on the money again with this recommendation. The 1" trophy bars really compliment the OS Giken on fast & medium corners.

Last edited:
I really like my stiffer rear bias (don't laugh!) but don't mention it on here because it's not the popular choice :) I had tried the stiffer front bias at first and was understeering long fast sweepers so much it got annoying. It was on 235s too.

I picked up a front 1" Dali trophy but gave it to illwillem since I have so many other setup issues right now i'm far from tweaking anything with sway bars :(

Will eventually pickup a front/rear trophy soon I reckon. I don't have the downforce (or the driving skill for that matter!) as Ron so we'll see... I might hate them with my dampers.

.from what i recall Rons' car is relatively softly sprung,so I'm sure Shad et al figured that in.I might try a stiffer bar combo in the future.

I really need to bite the bullet and throw some Yokohama A005's race tires on her and see what her ultimate potential is at Infineon Raceway. Pics below and I'll post some in-car video later after I upload to YouTube.

Awesome write up. Before you try the A005s, do you have an Accusump and baffled oil pan? I'd hate to see what happened to me, happen to you (destroyed engine from oil starvation in a corner). :(

Great write up again!

Awesome write up. Before you try the A005s, do you have an Accusump and baffled oil pan? I'd hate to see what happened to me, happen to you (destroyed engine from oil starvation in a corner). :(

Great write up again!

Thanks! and yes, one of my very 1st upgrades for track duty.

- - - Updated - - -

.from what i recall Rons' car is relatively softly sprung,so I'm sure Shad et al figured that in.I might try a stiffer bar combo in the future.
who is this Ron fellow?

Thanks! and yes, one of my very 1st upgrades for track duty.

- - - Updated - - -

who is this Ron fellow?
Its the new name my senility has given you:redface:

Back