• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

Fair enough, you started this thread, so I can restrain myself..... but 'safety police' - ouch. :tongue:

Regarding an earlier part of your thread. Why the StopTech BBK and not Brembo BBK? Was your decision solely based on cost? What about Brembo's significantly more substantial track record? Or that their calipers are narrower and allow an offset closer to OEM?
Easy choice; As much as I am a huge Brembo fan, having toured the factory outside of Bergamo Italy and I have owned several versions on different vehicles, the Stoptech ST40 system was designed specifically for the NSX and is a great brake system. Where as the Brembo system is a generic off the shelf set-up. My Stoptechs are one of the most significant upgrades I've done for the track and even with the original pads, I am able to out brake and dive in deeper than virtually everything else that comes my way on the track. They turn a negative into a game changing strength. My .002

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Sduffass, hiding in plain sight on his website: stmpo.com

Saves 15lb. over the oem rear beam. (great product)

Who's got a front beam?
Thanks scammy, I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Who you? nah, must have been some other notorious post whore who just can't stop himself from beating that dead horse one more time... That doesn't resemble anybody around here... :rolleyes::tongue:

Sorry. Deleted. I was just replying to another post, and I was sharing some new information I had found on the subject. Didn't mean to sound repetitive. Will stay off the subject

yikes........best of luck with that.......:frown:

Looking at your mod list, there's isn't much left in terms of weight savings unless you want to go extreme and start ripping out carpets/door panels. Here are some things that would shave off a few more pounds...

02 Conversion -37lbs
Aluminum Front bumper beam -16lbs (requires alternative mounts for the windwasher bottle)
Aluminum Rear bumper beam -14lbs
00+ ABS Conversion -15lbs
SOS clutch -11lbs (not sure if you have this)

Alway Look On the Bright Side of Life

You could also contact that certain Lawyer friend of ours on here before he wins his trip to who knows where...

On the bright side.. More time and more money for mods on the NSX.

More time, yes! More money? not so much... But...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SJUhlRoBL8M?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Awesome and inspiring, loved the newest track update.

Looking at your mod list, there's isn't much left in terms of weight savings unless you want to go extreme and start ripping out carpets/door panels. Here are some things that would shave off a few more pounds...

02 Conversion -37lbs
Aluminum Front bumper beam -16lbs (requires alternative mounts for the windwasher bottle)

He could save ~20lbs by replacing the Civic battery with a certain 7 pound battery combo...

02 Conversion -37lbs
Thanks for the input & suggestions dablackgoku,
I like the fixed headlights but not on my 91.
Bumper beams are definitely on my short list. (Looking for a front)
ABS delete is also along with TCS since they are both disconnected.
I have a CT Powergrip clutch that I am happy with.

Wipers & motors are also on the block.

re clutch...do you have the pg1 or pg2 clutch? how's the pedal pressure and engagement compared to stock?
PG1, It's definitely a "manly clutch" heavy but with a great feel & bite. I was advised that the PG2 is only necessary if you are going extreme. Kips 600whp twin turbo has a PG1.

600 HP isn't extreme? What's extreme? 900? I am about to buy the PG1 I hope it's not too stiff. Sorry to hear about the divorce thing man. I know it's tough but the bright side is you still have an awesome NSX. I have the Phryxis battery. It's 5 pounds. 4.9 to be exact, 6.8 with mounts and posts. Love it. Do that ASAP. If you need Ross's contact I have it. He has rear bumper beams and they are well done.

Maybe, it depends on how much your Civic battery weighs.
But our combo is about 7 pounds.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...ery-Tray-Package-7-pound-setup-Direct-bolt-on

Dammit! I hate it when you're right! :wink: My 'lightweight' civic spec battery & bracket weigh 27lbs. :mad: How does my car get out of its own way???

I signed up for your group buy. What is the approx. current wait time for a NA1 with whatever's quickest finish on the bracket?

- - - Updated - - -

600 HP isn't extreme? What's extreme? 900? I am about to buy the PG1 I hope it's not too stiff. Sorry to hear about the divorce thing man. I know it's tough but the bright side is you still have an awesome NSX. I have the Phryxis battery. It's 5 pounds. 4.9 to be exact, 6.8 with mounts and posts. Love it. Do that ASAP. If you need Ross's contact I have it. He has rear bumper beams and they are well done.

Thanks Dave, more proof the NSX is not a babe magnet :redface:

I think you'll be fine with the PG1. You just need to get used to the increased pressure. Start your left leg presses now :wink:

Got a line on an alloy rear beam but still on the hunt for a front beam.

Onboard for the Shorai group buy.

FYI: I have never seen a front beam for sale. Procar makes a front "plate" in CF but it looks totally cosmetic imho. illwillem made a front plate as you see from the pics. I made a 4"x4" front "beam" out of AL square tube. I got rid of my windshield washer reservoir as a consequence. You might have to make your own on this one unless you buy Procars for a gazillion Euros.

Ryu are the front beams on the 97+ cars aluminum versus steel like the rear? Or are they all steel? Do you know?

Since the rear beam is available, I'll just support our venders on that. When I get around to it I'll probably fab up a front one..

I've been going over the in-car video from Sears Point and its a little disappointing due to the lack of competition. Some of the sessions I lapped a couple of the cars twice in a 20min. session. The biggest 'highlight' was when I hit some oil in the exit of the T6 Carousel, got all crossed up and almost swapped ends. Still need to edit it down and upload to youtube.
T2

T2

T2

Front 'Straight'

Front 'Straight'

IndyCar Chicane

Man you are going so fast your zero is peeling off....

How much did the newest upgrades affect your lap times?
Dramatically, even though I was on slower tires (Nitto NT01 vs Hoosier R6) and I was unable to get clean laps with all the moving chicanes, I was able to click off identical lap times repetitively and consistently without drama, all day long, session after session. I spent most of the day practicing late braking and passing skills. In the afternoon sessions I gave rides to a couple of friends who have experience at Sears Point/Infineon. Both of them made similar comments that it seems the car is so well balanced that I can put it anywhere on the track, anytime, at will. With a good set of a race tires, the car just feels sorted.

I'd love to know your alignment settings and your overall rake. The only thing you have I may not be able to get to is your total front neg camber.

I tried to max out the caster on my other car the other day (much easier to adjust) and the straight tracking was good but the steering felt a bit dull. Not sure how my NSX would react to max caster..

Last edited:
I'd love to know your alignment settings and your overall rake. The only thing you have I may not be able to get to is your total front neg camber.

I tried to max out the caster on my other car the other day (much easier to adjust) and the straight tracking was good but the steering felt a bit dull. Not sure how my NSX would react to max caster..

Back