• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

I suspect you have exceeded the original 50K budget/objective. Slippery slope was steep for you...:)

Objective:
Purchase & build an NSX for trackdays that can compete with late model Porsche GT3RS, Corvette ZR1/ZO6, Nissan GTR, Ford GT, and other track prepped super cars.

Must be able to drive to the track, kill everything with fenders & doors, then drive home - for $50,000.00

I have the CT camber bushings with 3 deg camber in front. You will like this. :)
I am using Tecnomagnesio 18x10 rims and can fit a 185 but has only use a 175. I suspect a 185 will rub.
I have been using R's on all 4 corners but the backs are always the first to go.
Kip suggests using an A compound on the front and R's on the back. Next set I'll give this a try.
The Giken will help you put the power down coming out of the corners Not sure you will need the wider rear tires at your power level?

I suspect you have exceeded the original 50K budget/objective. Slippery slope was steep for you...:)

Objective:
Purchase & build an NSX for trackdays that can compete with late model Porsche GT3RS, Corvette ZR1/ZO6, Nissan GTR, Ford GT, and other track prepped super cars.

Must be able to drive to the track, kill everything with fenders & doors, then drive home - for $50,000.00
Yep, budget blown. I was at budget up until the to the CTSC install and had achieved my objective.
Now well into phase 2 with new objectives. *Chase down and play with race cars, then drive home*

I have the CT camber bushings with 3 deg camber in front. You will like this. :)
I am using Tecnomagnesio 18x10 rims and can fit a 185 but has only use a 175. I suspect a 185 will rub.
I have been using R's on all 4 corners but the backs are always the first to go.
Kip suggests using an A compound on the front and R's on the back. Next set I'll give this a try.
Assuming you meant 285, I am aware that Kip used A6's up front but you need to take in account that his car is 500lb lighter than mine and probably yours too. I wouldn't put those softer autocross compound tires on my car, especially at Sears Point. I would shred them in 2 sessions.
The Giken will help you put the power down coming out of the corners Not sure you will need the wider rear tires at your power level?
As I'm sure you are aware, what you do to the front, you must do to the back.
By going with a 245/40/17 up front, you must also go wider in the back. 245 - 275 is too close. 295/30/18 is a better match for the 245/40/17. I'm sure I'll grow into them :wink:

Last edited:
Yep, budget blown. I was at budget up until the to the CTSC install and had achieved my objective.
Now well into phase 2 with new objectives. *Chase down and play with race cars, then drive home*

Assuming you meant 285, I am aware that Kip used A6's up front but you need to take in account that his car is 500lb lighter than mine and probably yours too. I wouldn't put those softer autocross compound tires on my car, especially at Sears Point. I would shred them in 2 sessions.

As I'm sure you are aware, what you do to the front, you must do to the back.
By going with a 245/40/17 up front, you must also go wider in the back. 245 - 275 is too close. 295/30/18 is a better match for the 245/40/17. I'm sure I'll grow into them :wink:

I never had the 50K budget. You are starting to catch up to me.
My goal has always been to have fun. The car is more capable than I am.
I'm ok with that... :smile:

Yea 185 was a typo. I have 225's on the front so the 275 in back is a good match.
Kip is familiar my car. He suggest A6 for the front. When the rears are done the front still have life left.
not sure I can't go wider up front with out wider fenders with hooisers.
I have use a 245 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup but they would rub and get cut up by the fenders. Sigh.
I am happy with the current setup so not sure I'll try the A6 yet.
I only have a few days on my current set, so I am not in need yet.

Update:
Just thought I'd chime in with an update since it's been several weeks since my last report. The new OS Giken LSD is installed and everything's else is pretty much done but we're still in a holding pattern waiting on synchros from Honda. One thing we discovered when we tore down the trans was that to our surprise, I don't have a 4.23 final drive as I had been told by the previous owner :rolleyes:
It's actually a 4.55 final drive which explains a lot in terms of how the car was driving. No wonder I was constantly flirting with the rev limiter!!!:redface: The good news is it does have the JDM short gears so we've retained those and combined with the new 4.06 final drive, we should be in good shape. With 400+rwhp, it's a miracle I didn't blow that poor trans to kingdom-kom. Hopefully we'll be getting the synchros in this week and get her running shortly there after - fingers crossed.

Very excited to test her out at the track with the OS Giken, longer track gears, wider tires & wheels with increased negative camber settings. Stay tuned.

Happy Holidays All

//Rob

Wow !! The car should be completely different with the new 4.06. I think you will be much happier with the near gearing.

No doubt about that, we were really handicapped by the 4.55 FD. What worked well @ 260whp, really became a liability @ 400+whp. What was a nicely balanced, mildly built NSX, was really thrown out of its sweet spot with the addition of the CTSC & 145whp. Combined with the OS Giken and larger footprint, it should really help to capitalize on the additional HP.

Any updates on your car?

Shad sent me a video of it running last week and some exhaust pics . He sent a pic of the intercooler last month and I saw your car in the backround so I figured you were doing the LSD. I'm starting to get excited !

Update! (finally) w/pics

I finally have time to post an update after a very busy holiday season. My car was sequestered @ Driving Ambition since NSXPO from late September until late December. Once again, I'd like to give a big shout-out and take my hat off to Shad @ Driving Ambition, with the assistance of Kip Olson and his wealth of track/setup knowledge. Shad is truly the Zen Master when it comes to our beloved NSX. Once again, he worked his magic and my car is now an even more formidable and balanced road & track weapon. We all agree that this latest series of upgrades was probably the most significant in terms of lap times and drivability. Even more significant than when we added 145whp from the blower. Here's a list of the latest improvements with comments.

4.06 ring & pinion F/D with JDM short gears - a huge improvement from that poor 4.55 FD. Now I have 'autobahn gears' for the track.

OS Giken 1.5 Way Limited Slip Differential - holly cow! what a difference over the stock LSD. The beast is now civilized!

Camber Bushings kit (front & rear) - enables us to achieve 3.2 deg. neg. camber front & 2.2 deg. neg camber rear.

New Yokohama ADVAN RSII wheels 17x8.0+37, 18x10.0+37 - for a bigger & wider contact patch.

Bigger APR GTC-300
rear wing - for added downforce.

Downforce Stacy side skirts - just cuz.

Really looking forward to testing all the new bits at the track real soon. stay tuned!

DSC00275_zpscc8d95d1.jpg

DSC00233_zpse6499fda.jpg

DSC00226_zps828c388f.jpg

DSC00228_zpsc5c20658.jpg

DSC00253_zps99aa736c.jpg

DSC00230_zps408edffe.jpg

DSC00229_zps59a55842.jpg

Last edited:
So what is you're safety equipment when you track? Are you really racing or doing time trials or what? Running on stock safety gear?

So what is you're safety equipment when you track? Are you really racing or doing time trials or what? Running on stock safety gear?
Helmet & suit, Recaro Pole Positions, 6pt harnesses, DOT R compound tires, Fire extinguisher + 30 years of track experience.
I do not 'race' wheel to wheel with this car, I 'track' it and time trial it. I used to race wheel to wheel with SCCA, IMSA, NASA, etc. with my 911, but I have a different philosophy with this car. The car will always be 'street legal' with air, heat, stereo and full interior. Because of this, a cage is not practical.
Drive to the track, kill everything with doors & fenders, go thru drive thru on the way home.

So you're comfortable with a harness and no rollbar? It's not your experience that's the issue, it's others... A sudden oil leak in front of you... Etc. those are always my worries... With this car, tires and experience you are probably flying.

Last edited:
So you're comfortable with a harness and no rollbar? It's not your experience that's the issue, it's others... A sudden oil leak in front of you... Etc. those are always my worries... With this car, tires and experience you are probably flying.
Safety is always a compromise. No, I am not thrilled about the no cage/harness issue, but I'm willing to live with it (hopefully).
My very first track experience was in 1983 at Riverside International Raceway. I watched a guy screw his 930 turbo Carrera into the wall and completly write it off. I remember thinking to myself the same thing I think every time I see a car wreck: poor SOB, better him than me. I track my car at my own risk with full knowledge that 'stuff happens'. Its a calculated risk that I choose to take because I believe the rewards out weigh the risks.

What about the car itself? does CA isurance cover you on the track? or are you SOL?

Drive to the track, kill everything with doors & fenders, go thru drive thru on the way home.

Been watching and reading the thread. I do like your philosophy as i quoted. I signed up for my first track event and maybe if im lucky i can have the same feeling you do tracking. I'm tracking my 10 mazdaspeed 3 though!! Excellent thread and very informative, thank you.

looks great......I'm surprised though at the simple standard front lip spoiler.....I have to lol though because Kip helped you build his car all over again before he went turbo:biggrin:

I love the new look with the new wheels. What is the color on the wheels called ? I would like to do a track day when I visit out there.

Last edited:
Would love to know more about this. What insurance do you have? Mine won't cover anything that happens on a racetrack - incl. HPDE.

Most don't. He's lucky. The state has a lot to do with it.

Most don't. He's lucky. The state has a lot to do with it.

Well, he and I are in the same state as far as cars are concerned, so I would like to get on whatever insurance gravy train he's riding :)

looks great......I'm surprised though at the simple standard front lip spoiler.....I have to lol though because Kip helped you build his car all over again before he went turbo:biggrin:
Thanks John, Kip has been a huge influence on my build. Both he & Shad have shortened my learning curve exponentially. If you scroll back to the beginning of this thread you will see that for the track, I use Kip's front spoiler & sealed under tray. I take it off for grocery getting though. It is not driveway friendly.

- - - Updated - - -

Would love to know more about this. What insurance do you have? Mine won't cover anything that happens on a racetrack - incl. HPDE.
USAA - must have current or prior military service. Great coverage for home, auto, moto, life.

- - - Updated - - -

I love the new look with the new wheels. What is the color on the wheels called ? I would like to do a track day when I visit out there.
Thanks! They call it 'hyper black' but looks like dark silver metallic to me.

Still one of my favorite builds on here. I'm glad you upgraded wheels (I hated your old ones lol). I think you're going to love the taller 4.06 FD with the SC! Can you remind me what boost psi level you're running? Also, what kind of IATs where you getting last time? (sorry if you had already stated this before)

Back