• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Building a $50K Track Tool to beat $500K Track Tools

Still one of my favorite builds on here. I'm glad you upgraded wheels (I hated your old ones lol). I think you're going to love the taller 4.06 FD with the SC! Can you remind me what boost psi level you're running? Also, what kind of IATs where you getting last time? (sorry if you had already stated this before)
Thanks RYU, 9psi, I've never measured my IAT's. The 4.06 is just what the doctor ordered. Now I can really stretch each gear out and build max boost to match each shift point. Combined with the Giken, the car has a completely different demeanor, much more precise and sorted. It almost feels like launch control only its measured by my right foot. :biggrin:

Do you like the Stoptech brakes ? Do you hear any excessive noise under normal street driving ? Thanks.
They are a direct bolt-on upgrade designed for the NSX. They are lighter than OEM and have twice the stopping power...

No excessive noises (from my brakes anyway) :wink:

So what's not to like? :smile:

1K, where do you run? what track? I am in the bay area a lot. I would love to see your car. I went to a vineyard a few weeks ago. I forget the name. Had a great view of infineon. I could watch and hear the cars. Is that track open year round?

1K, where do you run? what track? I am in the bay area a lot. I would love to see your car. I went to a vineyard a few weeks ago. I forget the name. Had a great view of infineon. I could watch and hear the cars. Is that track open year round?
Living in the SF Bay Area, we are very fortunate to have three world class road courses within range. Infineon/Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway is my home track. I live 45min. from the gate entrance. I also frequent Thunder Hill which is about a 2hrs drive away. Laguna Seca is 90min. away but its strict noise restrictions have always been a turn off for me, otherwise I'd be a frequent flyer to Monterey too.

Currently, I am in So Cal in Indian Wells (near Palm Springs) working on my condo getting it prepped for sale. I'm about one hours drive from Chuckwalla Valley Raceway which I plan on checking out while I'm down here in the very near future. Ping me when you're coming into town and I'd love to get together.

//Rob

UPDATE: Downforce!

Now that I've had the car back from Driving Ambition for a few weeks, I've finally found the time to address some of the aerodynamic issues on my to-do list.
My 1st priority was to repair my damaged front splitter under tray. Thats a pretty big project so in the interim, I picked up a Downforce NSX-R front battery & bumper under tray. This is a very nice piece and may decide to just leave it on the car permanently.
100_4325[1].jpg
Installed
photo-40_zps3c65f4f8.jpg

photo-40_zps5e88b260.jpg

Next, I decided to finish up the front end with a Wings West front air dam. I deliberated over this for a long time and I finally settled on the WW because its made of polyurethane. Anyone here with a lowered car knows how vulnerable that area is. Knowing that its going to take its share of abuse, I decided not to paint it but I did take the time to color sand it and hit it with a buffer to give it a nice finish. Over all, I'm pretty happy with it.

DSC00257-1_zps0eeaae5f.jpg

DSC00255-3_zpsee4dc073.jpg

DSC00251-3_zps14bb6a2c.jpg

DSC00254-3_zps5c1ae198.jpg

Next came the back of the car. I've never been satisfied with my rear diffuser and have always coveted the Taitec carbon diffuser. It turns out that Downforce makes a version of this and theirs is much more refined. I contacted Downforce directly and they went to work on making me one with some added refinements. Its a very nice kit that includes all mounting hardware. I must say, It is not an easy afternoon project as it requires the removal of the entire rear bumper to extract your oem valance. They sent me a link to a pdf that had detailed instructions for installation. It took me about 5hrs to complete but I'm pleased with the results.

DSC00224-11_zpsbc4adf85.jpg

DSC00237-3_zpsb0247b29.jpg

DSC00270-2_zps9cec8941.jpg

DSC00269-1_zps96138527.jpg

DSC00246-4_zpsa03ab70c.jpg

Looks great. Did you have a pre 2002 rear apron before?

I have the DA undertray/splitter. After I dinged mine I wised up and made a splitter.
I got some 1/8 inch Aluminum and went at it with a plasma cuter.

It protrudes ~2-3 inches in front of the carbon fiber piece. I used the same mounting hardware that holds up the DA undertray.
You need spare hand to hold it up when you install or a scissor jack. Sort of a PIA
I haven’t goofed up the undertray since I installed the splitter. The splitter take the abuse and holds up well.
Yes a little added weight but probably some added downforce as well.

I think the new diffuser works better with the BAW. Looks wise...

1K2GO - With all that nice underbody aero, I wonder how you'll do with maybe a Type R wing instead of the big APR wing. Like sleeper style. Have you consider doing a track event w/o the APR?
I own a R-wing and I've tested it at Thunder hill. When I switched to my GT-One (big ass wing) I noticed that I was able to hold an additional 500rpm in T2.
I'd consider going with a smaller wing only if I were going for all out straight line top speed. On a road course, I'll take all the downforce I can manage.

IMG_9947.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

Interested in selling the bottom half of your rear bumper? I know a guy in the Bay Area in need of one.

This weekend, I went for an awesome 120mi mountain drive up Hwy 74 (Palms to Pines Hwy) through the Santa Rosa mountains to Idyllwild and then over Hwy 243 down the other side. About 9K feet of elevation. The car ran perfectly, no hick-ups what so ever. All the new aero bits really helped inspire confidence on all those long sweepers and tight twisties. I had a big $hit-eating-grin on my face the entire time. The car really hooks-up and hauls ass! The one thought that I kept thinking was 'balance'. I think I've finally found the sweet spot of this car. There maybe prettier NSX's, there maybe faster NSX's, but I doubt there are better balanced NSX's out there. The car has come along way in one year. I could have never come this far, this fast, without a lot of very experienced help.

DSC00228-11_zpsd86aced5.jpg

DSC00238-7_zps6012280d.jpg

DSC00240-4_zps2bd69939.jpg

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your sentiments. There are a lot of beautiful X's right here on Prime, including yours. Mine's certainly no beauty queen but she still cleans up pretty good. She looks best from about 30 feet away with a total eclipse.

Back