• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying 95 nsx - am I making a mistake?

Craig:

This seems like a good price if the car is as advertised...I bought a 95 not long ago with 50k miles and paid about $8k more, with some service items needing to be done to the tune of about $2500, plus new wheels and tires for another $2500. See if you can have it checked out by an NSX tech at a local Acura dealership - they'll do an 85 point check for around $80, and it is well worth it before you sign on the ......... line.:)

Good luck!

Todd

Here is the NADA report, for your own info.

The Recognized Authority Since 1933 Home | Subscribe to Trade Guides | Site Map | FAQ | Contact Us

New Car Dealer Quote | Free CARFAX Check | Free Finance Quote | Free Insurance Quote | Warranty Quote | Check Your Credit | Sell your Car

You are here: Category > Make > Year > Model > Vehicle Options > Vehicle Value Report > Get Another Price

Used Car Consumer Prices
November 19, 2003
1995 Acura NSX-V6
Coupe 2D Targa
125,000 miles

Low Retail Average Retail High Retail
Base Price $37,300 $40,650 $42,775

Mileage Adjustment
125,000 miles subtract: ($1,275) ($1,275) ($1,275)

Certification and Extended Warranties
Total Price $36,025 $39,375 $41,500
Average Retail Price represents a clean vehicle in good condition and is assumed to have a Clean Title History. Looking to purchase a new car? Get a free quote from a dealer near you. Obtain used car financing rates as low as 4.59% APR for 12-36 months. Selling your vehicle? Print a checklist and the required DMV Title & Registration forms to complete your sale. Sell your car through AutoTrader.com, and get the most money for your vehicle.
Other Vehicle Information
Model Number: N/A
Weight: 3208
Value Explanations
The free consumer values on NADAguides.com are based on the Consumer edition of the N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide ®, and should not be utilized for industry purposes. The consumer values may vary from the N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide values presented to you by insurance companies, banks, credit unions, government agencies and car dealers due to vehicle condition, regional market differences and frequency of updates

Low Retail Value
A low retail vehicle may have extensively visible wear and tear. The body may have dents and other blemishes. The buyer can expect to invest in bodywork and/or mechanical work. It is likely that the seats and carpets will have visible wear. The vehicle should be able to pass local inspection standards and be in safe running condition. Low retail vehicles usually are not found on dealer lots.
Average Retail Value
An average retail vehicle should be clean and without glaring defects. Tires and glass should be in good condition. The paint should match and have a good finish. The interior should have wear in relation to the age of the vehicle. Carpet and seat upholstery should be clean, and all power options should work. The mileage should be within the acceptable range for the model year.

An Average Retail vehicle on a dealer lot may include a limited warranty or guarantee, and possibly a current safety and/or emission inspection (where applicable).
High Retail Value
A high retail vehicle should be in flawless condition. All power equipment should be functional. The paint should match and have a high gloss finish. The carpet and seat upholstery should be clean and have minimal wear. The engine should start quickly and run smoothly. The tires should be like new with a spare and jack. The mileage should be significantly below the acceptable mileage range for the model year.

A high retail vehicle on a dealer lot should be fully reconditioned and is likely to include a warranty, guarantee or manufacturer certification and current safety and/or emission inspection (where applicable).

i received your email and tried to reply but it bounced.
i test drove this car this past sunday. i don't think you'll be disappointed. it's a very nice car for the price. the driver's floor mat was missing... but he said it's around somewhere so make sure you get it. the car was sitting kinda high... i dont know if it was because i was used to my lowered nsx. or perhaps the springs were installed improperly by the previous owner (if the plates under the spring are placed upside down, the car will sit about 1/2" higher).

i think you got a great deal.

edit: after looking at some photos of other stock nsx's... it seems that your nsx does not sit any higher.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good to me. Price seems way low. I would replace the shift knob ($100) and Wheel (dunno) right away. They give away the age immeditately. Other than that, it looks great.

NetViper said:
Price seems way low. ... Other than that, it looks great.
Wow, looks like a deal, Craig.

nicholas: did you check for overspray or other signs of previous damage?

eBay ad Says " spent the rest of its life in St Louis, MO." Anyone here know the car?

Wow, thanks for all the feedback, and thanks for the call Nick. I am definately looking forward to the car. I haven't owned a performance car in about 7 years; have been doing the sportbike thing. I decided that it was time to buy myself a company car, and I thought nothing could be more practical than an NSX with 114k miles.:D

- Craig

p.s. F* you!-- that's my name! - I haven't thought of that movie in years. (GG/GR) Thanks for the laugh, Todd!

Craig, my mistake, looks like this is a two owner car. Originally purchased in Florida and then purchased by someone in MO in 1999.

With a price like that, short of a catstrophic accident rebuilt, I would be all over it.

DucatiCraig said:
Then how come the auction says $28,900?

This is Matt's "Green Tea". He's knowledgeable enough that the car should have been extremely well maintained. I'll let him know to check this thread out and maybe he'll post here.

If you still feel more comfortable having the car checked out, I think Bill Taylor is still the NSX tech at the closest Acura dealer, in Grand Rapids, and he's pretty knowledgeable about them.

I think the price is an incredible bargain. But you already knew that, I'm sure. A lot of times, when people say, "Is this a fair price?", what they really mean is, "Look at the terrific price I stole this car for!"

that's my baby, er, that WAS my baby.

Does anyone know the car? (chuckle).

I remember bringing it home, and how I felt then:

http://www.falkharrison.com/m/nsx/gyokuro/

Any questions, class? (Other than the incredible case of seller's remorse I am just now going through).

-Matt
01 allroad
98 vfr

(Gone, but not forgotten)
95 NSX brooklands green over tan that Craig just bought.

Wow! I can't tell you how cool it is to find the previous owner. Thanks for your reply, Matt. To let you know, the car has found a good home in Hillsboro, OR ( 15 miles west of Portland ). If you don't mind, I would like to keep the car's name as Green Tea. It will be well taken care of. I will do my best to keep my MR2 head friend from sneaking a turbo kit on it. ( He's currently working on a 400RWHP '92 MR2, and I fear it won't be long before he's looking under my hood. )

Do you have service records for the car? The seller said that they have details on the last major service, but nothing else. I would like to build as complete of history as I can, so any help would be appreciated.

Do you know of any quriks that the car has, or any components that may need to be replaced soon? (clutch, brakes, oil, etc.)

When you say '98 VFR, do you mean Honda VFR motorcycle? While I have never owned a VFR, I have owned a Honda 600 F2, a 900rr. I currently have a '00 RC51, a '98 916 w/ 984 kit (For sale, due to imminent nsx), a '92 RS125 for track days ( the ugliest, most beat up RS125 in existence ), a '59 Ducalt elite 200, and a '77 BMW R100. My wife also rides, and has a '00 996.
Although the end of auction price says 28,900, I did not buy the car through ebay. I had been talking to the seller before they listed it, then when I committed to buy it, they asked that I bid the buy it now price to end the auction.

Thank to all for taking the time to reply!

Last edited:
More Tea, anyone?

Hi, Craig.

I'd be honored if you choose to keep the car with the name that I christened it with (strange what 'honors' people nowadays, eh?). If you are a custom license plate kinduv guy, I can recommend 'GRN TEA' and 'GREEN T' (both of which get the point across to the cognoscenti). I never went for custom plates (why give cops a reason to hate you more?) but was SORELY tempted...

I bought the car with 60k on the clock at Heubler Nissan in Indianapolis (the car was sitting at Huebler Acura, but a friend's salesman worked at the Nissan Dealership, so I bought it through him). Heubler got it from a Florida auction.

Since then, our local Acura dealers in STL (Saint Louis Acura and Leta Acura) have done all the major service items. Because the car was serviced at a local dealership, all records are in the Acura Database - a friend at a dealership can print the entire service history of the car for you. Of course, I have a few records that I can ship, too, including those from its life before me. I have done a few items (oil and filter changes, CD changer install, headlight bulb replacement, etc) and have tried to care for the car as best I can - with time, interest (and a lil $). Hit an Acura dealer and ask them to pull the service history of the car. If you need more after that, feel free to e-mail me.

Disclaimer: anyone who knows me, knows I am pretty anal when it comes to nitpicky things. Keeping that in mind, I think you will be VERY happy with your purchase. As far as quirks go, the car is really in pretty good shape. I stayed on top of any need the car might have, and had things immediately addressed and fixed:

I did a clutch, and all the belts and the water pump, etc. I JUST did new pads all the way around (OEM) and replaced the left rear caliper (was dragging more than it should). Please note: About a year ago, I did have the timing checked and adjusted a couple of times to remove a hiccup and rough running (symptoms of this was the car hiccuped or misfired under heavy acceleration when too much fuel was dumped into the engine, and the OBD-II 'Check Engine' light would come on the dash). My local Acura dealership (Leta) performed an emission recall no it (new coils and plugs for all 6 cylinders) which helped, along with a bottle of fuel system cleaner. Since that time, there has been little evidence of the issue resurfacing - and the car ran great for me for a year afterward untill the guys from Alan it drove away

Honestly, I think that the biggest issues (if there are any left after the dealer addressed them) are some interior cosmetic things you might want to look at: the shift knob (leather baseball) is the worst culprit showing wear (as you can see in the photos). The steering wheel is in VERY good/solid shape for the miles, but there were a couple of tiny smudges on it (dealership may have addressed). The radio knobs are in dire need of some attention, too (after a hundred thousand miles worth of listening, some of the black masking on the outer rings of the volume knob tends to wear). Lastly, a flap on the very back of the leather on the driver's side 'pad' where the fuel flap release lever is and the hand rest tends come unwrapped over time. Some hide glue (as in, animal hide) on the underside of the leather will fix nicely (again, if it has not already been addressed).

Though the course of its existence in STL, there were some minor body/paint things, but I fixed them to my satisfaction. There were a couple of remaining things to look at, but I pointed them out to the dealership, and they said they would take care of them. You might look at to make sure it was done to your satisfaction:

- there was a minor (3" long) paint rub on the passengers' side rear wheel flare (easily buffed and blended).
- there was a small (size of a quarter) paint rub on the driver's side rear corner of the back bumper (easily buffed),
- There was a 1.5" long tear in the seam of the driver's side outboard seat bolster (the photo on eBay shows this to be fixed).
- The radio antenna mast needed to be replaced. (I provided a new reaplcement mast AND motor to the dealership when they drove off in my car).

It may bear keeping in mind that I did virtually nothing to prepare the car for sale. The allroad became available (from the same dealership) and I found it was a good opportunity to sell the NSX. It happened so fast, however, that I had no time to bring the car up to showroom conditions. The dealership, however, did an amazing job prepping the allroad that I bought from them, so I feel very confident in their abilities. Rob Venlet was VERY helpful to deal with, and the dealership general manager (whom interviewed me about the NSX) was very knowledgeable. I would be confident in their work.

Again, from the description, it sounds as though the dealership addressed all these issues. When the car arrives, though you should look to make sure you are satisfied.

Frankly, I am sad to see the car go, but the cash helps offset the allroad, I no longer dread serious snowfall (the car was my daily driver, and an alternate to the bike) and now my girlfriend and her daughter have a place to sit comfortably.

Hmmn - you have a bike for sale, you say? (chuckle - I almost bought a Duc (748), but decided on the Honda (the 800) for a variety of reasons).

Let me know if you need more details, and happy driving. Keep the shiny side up for me, okay?

-Matt
01 allroad
98 VFR
and once proud possessor of Craig's new Green Tea.

Last edited:
Re: More Tea, anyone?

GreenTea said:

Honestly, I think that the biggest issues (if there are any left after the dealer addressed them) are some cosmetic things you might want to look at: the shift knob (leather baseball) is the worst culprit showing wear (as you can see in the photos). The steering wheel is in good solid shape, but there were a couple of tiny smudges on it (dealership may have addressed). The radio knobs are in dire need of some attention, too (after a hundred thousand miles worth of listening, some of the black masking on the outer rings tends to wear). Lastly, the driver's side pad where the fuel flap release lever and the leather hand rest tends come unwrapped. Some hide glue (as in, animal hide) on the underside of the leather will fix nicely (again, if it has not already been addressed).

none of the above was addressed by the dealer. they did, however, clean it up very nicely. the rocker panel on the driver side is misaligned... the gap is pretty noticeable. another minor issue. i'm kinda regretting not picking this up myself.

Re: Nice!

SOLOTYM said:
WOW — Great story guys!

I truly enjoyed reading this, it's trully is a close family the NSX is in!

ENJOY.

Hi

Yes I am glad to read things like this. I was fortunate to buy a NSX from another member here that are very fond of the NSX and had taken very good care of his car. Stories like the above reminds me that NSX owners are special kind of people.

NSXPrime is surely a great place with a lot of great people (and some of them even have great GF/wifes too which they post pictures of :)

Regards

Thanks for the info Matt. I would love it if you could forward any documentation as well as the service printout. I would be happy to pay you for your time / costs.

I think I will avoid custom plates for the same reason you decided to. I think if you have custom plates, they might as well say "TKT4ME".

Also, if you are ever in the Portland area in the future, I would be happy to loan you the car during your visit.

You can email me directly at [email protected]

- Craig

p.s. No, Martin, I'm not going to submit a picture of my wife. She's mine, mine, ....all mine I tell you!!

Tea

Craig,

Thank you for the kind offer - I've never been in Portland, but have always had a yen for the Pacific Northwest. Seeing the movie 'intersections' only reinforced my love for the place (and for older Mercedes' roadsters... and for Lolita Davidovich naked). er, sorry - momentarily distracted.

While I've yet to visit your neck of the woods, I had some opportunity - my brother used to fly rescue helicopters (the newer French 'Dauphins') for the Coast Guard out of Coos Bay. Still - I never made it up thataway. If I ever find myself out your way - I will defintely look you up. Pick out a decent spot for brunch and we'll go from there.

It'll be a while, though, so - in the meantime - I'll wrap up and send any relevant documentation that I find up to you. (I'll catch you on your AOL account for details). Look for it in a little bit.

Pay me for my time? (Chuckle) Oh, boy, that's rich. (Ask keN - ANYthing to keep the community strong and good).

Now.... about that Duc of yours.... (just kidding)

-Matt
'01 allroad
'98 vfr

DucatiCraig[/i] [B]the car has found a good home in Hillsboro said:
Because the car was serviced at a local dealership, all records are in the Acura Database - a friend at a dealership can print the entire service history of the car for you. Of course, I have a few records that I can ship, too, including those from its life before me. I have done a few items (oil and filter changes, CD changer install, headlight bulb replacement, etc) and have tried to care for the car as best I can - with time, interest (and a lil $). Hit an Acura dealer and ask them to pull the service history of the car.
My understanding is that this is not true. An individual dealer can pull a service history from its own files (service performed at that particular dealership), but those files are not accessible from other dealerships. If you go to your local Acura dealer, they can provide you with a limited service history - including all recall services - but cannot tell you when it had oil or timing belt changed, etc, even if it was done at another Acura dealer. So you would have to contact the dealerships in St. Louis to get a history of services that the car has had while Matt owned it. They might or might not provide it to you, Craig, but I'm sure they would provide it to Matt without question.

hmmmn

Hmmn - good point, Ken.

Frankly, I'm not sure what's possible and what's not. I had one of my local dealerships pull the records on the Tea from the other dealership (they are competitors, though may have some sort of agreement), and then just made an assumption.

I do have the original dealership's printed records, too, so I can include those (they were just a phone call away)!

I'll try and get a complete set from each local dealer in the meantime, too.

More to come!

-Matt

Re: Re: Nice!

martin said:

Yes I am glad to read things like this. I was fortunate to buy a NSX from another member here that are very fond of the NSX and had taken very good care of his car. Stories like the above reminds me that NSX owners are special kind of people.

Hey, martin: thanks! :)

I only saw this topic now! I am glad you are enjoying (ok, maybe not now since the winter is kind of hard there...) my ex NSX!

Re: Re: Re: Nice!

gheba_nsx said:
Hey, martin: thanks! :)

I only saw this topic now! I am glad you are enjoying (ok, maybe not now since the winter is kind of hard there...) my ex NSX!

Your welcome.. :)

I remember we talked about what choices I had to do to make this come true..one of them is to be without a car in the wintertime.

When walking home from work in -9Celcius last night it made me think if it was worth it..and yes it is worth it :)

Regards

Back