• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying first year model cars

I've always had the mindset to avoid buying first year production vehicles because of possible defects and items that may need to be addressed with new model year.
Does this apply to the 1991 NSX? I know about the snap ring transmission, but have there been other issues to be mindful of?
TIA

Last edited:
Window regulators, stereo amplifiers, stereo antenna come to mind.

that seems to run across all years
anything specific to the 91's? Would you consider a 91 just as reliable as subsequent years?

There were tweaks made through the years to address issues, but most all are minor in the grand scheme of first model years. The 1991 NSX has been demonstrated as a reliable, enjoyable vehicle.

Like the first year S2000, the early coupes are considered by some (including myself) to be the most focused versions.....but they're all great cars

Brian

...........be proud of that massive mast.

They stopped using the retractable antenna in 2006 :)

- - - Updated - - -

At this point the 1991 cars are as reliable as any other year. you would have to believe any inherent issues that existed 24 years ago have been repaired on any pre-owned vehicle you would purchase

I bought a 91 in the snap ring range and the transmission cases were replaced with Honda help.
I would agree with chrisbailey13 that by now that any NSX's in the snap ring range have been fixed or have turned out to be fine.
There are well documented fixes of weaknesses that have shown up over time but outside of the snap ring issue none of them have been major.
It's been the most reliable car I've owned.

Last edited:
They stopped using the retractable antenna in 2006 :)

- - - Updated - - -

At this point the 1991 cars are as reliable as any other year. you would have to believe any inherent issues that existed 24 years ago have been repaired on any pre-owned vehicle you would purchase

Thanks guys for the info, so where can I get a 2006? ;)

Back