• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying furniture -- seeking adivce.

So the wife and I figure its time to grow up and buy real furniture. We are looking for microfiber or leather. We know enough to buy real leather, not the vinyl leather. We found a couch we really like however they call it leather to the touch. Meaning anywhere you touch will be leather, seats, seat back, arm rest and down low where your feet would hit. What is not leather is the sides (below arm rest) and the back. That is vinyl. I am thinking we should stay away from it or order it in all leather, that is an option as well.

Does anyone have experience with this "leather to the touch"? Any suggestions or advice? I don't care to spend money on quality, but I want to make sure I am getting quality.

Thanks,

If it sees any sunlight the vinyl will fade differently and won't match the real leather.

So the wife and I figure its time to grow up and buy real furniture. We are looking for microfiber or leather. We know enough to buy real leather, not the vinyl leather. We found a couch we really like however they call it leather to the touch. Meaning anywhere you touch will be leather, seats, seat back, arm rest and down low where your feet would hit. What is not leather is the sides (below arm rest) and the back. That is vinyl. I am thinking we should stay away from it or order it in all leather, that is an option as well.

Does anyone have experience with this "leather to the touch"? Any suggestions or advice? I don't care to spend money on quality, but I want to make sure I am getting quality.

Thanks,

My wife and I just bought a new L shaped couch for our living room.

I don't personally have any experience with the product you're mentioning. However, unless you're planning on treating this furniture as throw away furniture, I'd focus more on the construction of the couch, the springs, and the padding before you get too wrapped up in the material.

Is your couch going to see sun? If so, the two materials will fade differently. Do you have kids or a dog? Are you thinking of adding either to your family? The material you chose will make a huge difference in wear and tear.

Thank you all.
Yes we do have a 9 or 10 yr old dog. She is not allowed up on the furniture but will lay right next to it. We also have a 7 month old boy with plans to add more brothers or sisters, maybe both. Which in time I am sure will lead to adding another dog after this one teaches the hard life lesson of death. Wow thats sounds really cold hearted.

Any way. We (well I am) are active duty military and move about every 5 years. So we def need a couch that can with stand being moved every few years.

Thanks again,

In your situation I would go to various stores to touch and sit on the couch.Then buy the cheapest one that fits/works estheticly.

I got 4 pcs of contemporary italian leather furniture off ebay brand new and delivered for $1450.00 1 Sofa, 1 love seat, 1 Chair and a ottaman. :biggrin: It took a while to get here and it was only a sidewalk delivery but at that price I couldnt say no.

My dogs have the tendency of gnawing at certain areas of the couch where leather is present. This is my 3rd full leather couch:frown: Talked to my vet and he said that leather has a distinctive smell and taste ( i guess the oil ) that's similar to a rawhide chew...I decided to go with the a mix breed of vinyl and leather where leather is just the cushion areas and vinyl for the arm rest and foot areas. :tongue:

I went through this when I was purchasing new furniture for the house.

In my experience, the vinyl stuff looks and feels like real leather....cheap real leather.

There are different grades of leather.

Go to the store and ask to look at some different pieces with commercial leather and top/full grain leather. You'll be able to see a notable difference. When you press on cheap leather, you will see a distinctive cracking pattern. Full grain leather will crease, not crack. It is also thicker and softer.

You will be hard pressed to find top grain leather pieces with vinyl on any part of them. In fact, you probably won't see any, unless you order it that way. And you'll have the sales person thinking you're not very smart.

I'd say spend the money and get a full top grain leather piece. It will feel better, last longer and look prettier. :) Nicolleti and Calia Italia are very good manufacturers.

Last edited:
leather
And leather to the touch, touched with a Yellow Lab's nail.:biggrin:

Attachments

• couch.jpg
    couch.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 45
  • couch 1.jpg
    couch 1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 39
In your situation I would go to various stores to touch and sit on the couch.Then buy the cheapest one that fits/works estheticly.
I understand your logic, but if it does not hold up in one move then we are right back at square one, minus the money we spent.

I got 4 pcs of contemporary italian leather furniture off ebay brand new and delivered for $1450.00 1 Sofa, 1 love seat, 1 Chair and a ottaman. :biggrin: It took a while to get here and it was only a sidewalk delivery but at that price I couldnt say no.
Yes that does sound like a great idea. However both my wife and I are tall so we need a deep sitting furniture. I would be worried about that buying online.

My dogs have the tendency of gnawing at certain areas of the couch where leather is present...
Hum. Never thought about that. This dog is through with the puppy stage, however if we do get another dog it is something to think about. It does make sense, and I might have to get rid of the dog if it chewed up my couch.

...There are different grades of leather.

Go to the store and ask to look at some different pieces with commercial leather and top/full grain leather. You'll be able to see a notable difference. When you press on cheap leather, you will see a distinctive cracking pattern. Full grain leather will crease, not crack. It is also thicker and softer.
Thanks this is the kind of advice I was looking for.

All I'm saying is if money is an object and you are a person who will get crazy if something nice you buy gets screwed up ..take my advice.Nothing you check out from a reputable store is going to self destruct.We bought a large sectional L shaped sofa at a "going outa business sale"( thats often a hunk of dudoo as well) for 700$ delivered,microsuade and "faux" leather.Believe me It looks great and I don't care what kid deficates/micturates :redface: on it!Ahhh peace.:smile:

Yes that does sound like a great idea. However both my wife and I are tall so we need a deep sitting furniture. I would be worried about that buying online.

I was lucky to find that the sofa and style of furniture I wanted was sold by every store that had contemporary furniture. I went to so many places and it was the same sofa. If you find one you like well you might find the same one cheaper somewhere else is all im saying. The markup on this stuff is nuts

We purchased a Leather sofa and chair and also a microfiber u shape coach.
Both from Natuzzi and the quality is top notch.

Back