• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Buying parts from non vendors or new members

I have bought quite a few parts from Prime members since joining the forum. No issues. Heck I even sent a fairly expensive part to a member with no price established and just asked that the recipient evaluate the part and "be fair". It worked out. The member paid me a fair price via paypal. No issues.

A prime member who who shall remain nameless has contacted me and offered to sell me some carbon parts I'm looking for. Specifically an armrest, center console and nav pod. Each part is fairly expensive but combined well over $1000.00 in total. I wouldn't think twice about it if the member offering the parts was a well known established poster. They are not. Sub 100 posts and a fairly new join.

If this was Docjon, sduff, turbo2go, Shawn, Gil or anybody else who's reputation is stellar and well documented I would send them the money no question. They have earned that type of respect and trust. This does not mean the member offering the parts is a bad guy or shady at all. It's just a lot of money to send to a relatively unknown member for a complex part where looks and fitment are everything. Not to mention I don't have the luxury of reading reviews on part quality and fitment from other Prime members.

Am I justified in my caution or just paranoid? What would you do?

This may be an internet based forum but our money is real and we all work hard for it.

you are 100% justified. It is better safe than sorry.

Some steps that I do to prevent shady transactions:

1) find someone local you trust to pick it up for you and ship
2) have the seller take pictures with tags of their username / time / phrase etc
3) make sure to use a credit card backed transaction (paypal / etc)
4) broker service (never used this one but others have)

If you want to take this further, ask for more information such as phone number, address, references, etc

It's your money, you have the right to choose how to spend it.

This is why the marketplace was redone a few years back, because of increasing fraud from non-registered vendors and new members. PM me the info.

thanks for compliment makes me feel gushy inside

BUT NEVER WIRE MONEY EVER once it is sent there is no getting it back ever. wired money over to a guy in NC to hold an NSx for me to fly up, called me a scammer
and kept the cash, I then drove from tampa to NC and was gonna ring the doorbell, but stopped blocks from his house and decided I could get shot and having a pistol in the car wouldn't have looked good to the police, kinda I drove up to kill him kinda thing LOL so had the local police go ring his doorbell for me, never saw a dime, drove home empty handed

If that is the case, I will ask for their fourm name on other fourms that they are a part of and search thier rep there. Like for me. I have 500-600 posts, lurked a lot but havent bought a lot of used parts from members. But my post count and parts bought count/rep on ClubRSX is steller. I think I have a parts bought count of 23 over there.

I have never been, nore have the conscience to rip another member off. We are a close knit group here on Prime, and the last thing I want is to get my name drug through the mud, lol.

Tomaske is still out there some where.....

.we are two wild and crazy guys.........looking for sexy shiny carbons fibers.......

Where is the tamoske video when you need it...

Some people crawl back from their hiding layers. I suggest never sending money to people with no or little rep. Especially carbon parts because there's some well documented situations from years back as RSO has stated.

Hell even now I've been following a few threads in the marketplace to see how they pan out

Well.... ummm... It looks like this certainly blossomed into something interesting. Thanks for saving me about a grand and lots of explaining to the wife. Props to the forum for flushing folks out of the weeds to support the greater good of the Prime community.

buahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha EPIC! If RSO made that he deserves an emmy or whatever that award is called. Holy smokes!

That is mine. The dipstick actually filed two separate complaints with youtube claiming I was violating his intellectual property rights to his real name, which I never even used.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iRt9Hq5zoCg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

To the OP I sent you a link to a registered vendor (advancpap) to buy the NavPod after seeing your post in the WTB section a week ago. Not sure why you just don't buy it from him.

Not that it matters but... one had carbon and one wasn't I'll buy the one from the forum vendor. I'm just not sure if the one SOS supplies or the one advancpap supplies are the same or not. But that's for a different thread.

I know thus the proxy statement...

I see the OP has posted again looking for the NavPod in the WTB section after being given a link to buy one from a Registered Vendor.:confused:

I see the OP has posted again looking for the NavPod in the WTB section after being given a link to buy one from a Registered Vendor.:confused:

He has his reasons and will purchase from a Vendor or private seller once he is ready. Not a problem as sometimes people can be on the fence about things.

LMR, would you like to be my purchasing agent? :biggrin:

Yes for a fee.:tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

He has his reasons and will purchase from a Vendor or private seller once he is ready. Not a problem as sometimes people can be on the fence about things.

Was just trying to help. I have done this several times for others who have not seen or missed posts in the Vendor or For Sale sections for what they are looking for.

Yes for a fee.:tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

Was just trying to help. I have done this several times for others who have not seen or missed posts in the Vendor or For Sale sections for what they are looking for.
+1, LMR is one that if given the opportunity will jump in and help, that being the case I think he is just a little hurt that his name was not mentioned in the OP #1 (can't blame him after all the things he does for the Nsx community):smile:
And thanks to the OP for sniffing out "The Great Tomaske", aka: Sasha, Douch, The Lith, Borat, Bruno...........:biggrin:

Back