• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

C8 vs NSX comparison

lets see where all these "alliances" end-up...Ultimately they are all scrambling to catch up to Elon...

Porsche loyalist will continue drinking the kool aid but what is in danger is the Jr Porsche the Cayman. The Corvette makes that car irrelevant to a rational mind.

Not really. The Cayman still comes with a manual, and there are plenty of people who would pick it over the Corvette on that basis alone.

Not really. The Cayman still comes with a manual, and there are plenty of people who would pick it over the Corvette on that basis alone.

I guess "plenty" is the variable number. A stripped 718 is around $61K if you can find one which would be a manual . Most 718's are optioned into the $80K+ range. Porsche demographics for 718 buyers are age 25-40 of which only 18% know how to drive a stick. Porsche sells 85% of their US cars as PDK's. So the numbers are pretty low on the numbers of stick shift 718 that are sold. I'm guessing around 350.
Euro markets make up the bulk of the manual sales.

Since the C8 wasn't available in 2019 it's only a bench racing argument that one would chose a Jr. Porsche over the C8. Sagging sales numbers and regulatory problems plague the 718. The new C8 Corvette doesn't help. Who knows Porsche thought the 911 was dead in 1978 but they figured out a way to breathe life into the legendary tail wager, which I owned a few.

Jimmy aka sled driver

The new Corvette will sell at least 20,000 units for the 2020 model year. They have more orders but cannot make them in time for this model year. I really don’t see someone wanting either the Corvette or a Porsche 718. I see them as so very different. While I think the mid engined Corvette is the right direction for GM, I cannot get the gold neck chain out of my mind. Flash with no cash.

Interesting that you mentioned the demise of the 911. I have watched that car go from a Widow maker rear engine car to a mid engine car in the making.. when you open the rear compartment there is no engine per say.

I will cross shop the GT4 RS and the ZO6 or Grandsport whatever...The midengine C8 has broadened the buyer pool no doubt. I'm laughing at GM for being snake charmed by Nikola....shades of We Work and Softbank....

As a big Mary Barra fan I am disappointed by this move - Trevor Milton is a charlatan. Honda's joint venture with GM and the Japanese fascination with hydrogen are equally disappointing - Soichiro must be spinning in his grave.

Last edited:
I will cross shop the GT4 RS and the ZO6 or Grandsport whatever...The midengine C8 has broadened the buyer pool no doubt. I'm laughing at GM for being snake charmed by Nikola....shades of We Work and Softbank....
So you are saying that you would cross shop a loaded GT4 RS, that Porsche would insure falls below the 911 performance wise, against a Corvette Z06 which would be significantly faster and comes with a flat plane overhead cam engine. While they would seem to be priced closely they are very different types of cars. One is a surgical device while the other is somewhat in your face. Would you not look at the 911 as well? Or is the Stick Shift the one defining option?

Cars are like vinyl records of old.....You buy the album for a few great songs and put up with the rest. I'm not a brand guy..I buy what I feel suits my needs..I would like a track/street car that I don't need to trailer....The RS GT4 will outperform most 911 on track.

I did some dealer inquiries and boy are they unmotivated!

The one I bought my Z06 from (17 years ago) doesn't know when the convertible will be available (they are making them now!), and can't even guesstimate an order to delivery time frame.

After some investigation (a few clicks of the internet) I found the only difference is about $8k and 80 pounds between the coup and convertible and the coup has a removable "T" top.

You would think a motivated salesman would point this out.

However, you are dealing with GM.

https://carbuzz.com/features/2020-chevrolet-corvette-coupe-vs-convertible-the-7500-question-answered

Selling Corvettes for a Chevy dealership is probably not as common as we might think. They are probably moving a lot of SUVs of all sizes as well as trucks. A Corvette is a specialty car for them. Probably one person there has some understanding. They make a lot of money from the Trucks and SUVs. Just for the US, Chevrolet sold 1,958,821 vehicles in 2019. Contrast that with Acura which sold 157,385. That is a factor greater than 10 to 1. So for Chevrolet the Corvette at around 17,988 which is 0.918% For Acura 237 NSX sales for 2019 represents 0.15% This is a factor of 6 to 1 for Corvette versus NSX. Another way to look at it is to consider for every 109 vehicles that Chevrolet sold one Corvette was sold. Contrast this with Acura where 664 vehicles were sold for every NSX. Chevy should have more people knowledgeable about the Corvette. Just saying...….

Last edited:
Often dealerships designate a person responsible for sales of a particular vehicle to insure they have their best foot forward. Understand in your case that was not what you saw. Many of the "old" dealerships are still around even after the Great Recession. GM and Chrysler tried to drop a lot of them but got sued in the process. They are behind the times and don't recognize that people are changing and want different things. I still don't understand why you would want to get a C8 Corvette when you already have a car that is extraordinary. Mario Cano has over 50,000 miles on his car and tracks it all the time. It will hold up nicely.

Often dealerships designate a person responsible for sales of a particular vehicle to insure they have their best foot forward. Understand in your case that was not what you saw. Many of the "old" dealerships are still around even after the Great Recession. GM and Chrysler tried to drop a lot of them but got sued in the process. They are behind the times and don't recognize that people are changing and want different things. I still don't understand why you would want to get a C8 Corvette when you already have a car that is extraordinary. Mario Cano has over 50,000 miles on his car and tracks it all the time. It will hold up nicely.

A "good" salesman would have pointed out that the "T" on the Stingray is removable so is the difference worth it, especially for a car that isn't available yet as a convertible.

As for why I want a convertible, I am at the point in my life where I want my biggest concern for the day to be wether I put the top up or down. lol

The Vette would be my DD.

A "good" salesman would have pointed out that the "T" on the Stingray is removable so is the difference worth it, especially for a car that isn't available yet as a convertible.

As for why I want a convertible, I am at the point in my life where I want my biggest concern for the day to be wether I put the top up or down. lol

The Vette would be my DD.

I hear you.

One would think the commission on a $90k sale would elicit some motivation from sales people.

The dealerships that I know of that still use commission sales reduce the commission for the higher priced specialty cars especially those that are ordered. The stores without a commission based pay plan offer bonuses for volume usually in terms of number of cars sold not gross profit ( which the dealership would never disclose to the salesperson anyway ). The higher commissions and spiffs apply to vehicles that have been there a long time and are killing the dealer with floor plan charges. That is why no one at your local Chevy dealer is in lather to sell you a Corvette.

Not a NC1? I had you pegged for one of those and assumed the Bee would be relieved of track duty.

If Ohio decides to create a more track focused version ...sure.....I'm hoping. We'll find out next year.

So, I happened to be out with a buddy yesterday and after a nice hike at one of the local Metroparks we wound up at a Bakers in Milford, MI. They have a car show every Sunday -- usually the same guys with the same cars (easily upwards of 75 cars in attendance) but worth 30-60 minutes looking around. Sometimes sca037, alum04 and I show up in our NSXs. It is primarily American Iron but a very mellow group and we are always made to feel welcome. I was not driving the NSX yesterday.

There was a bright yellow C8 in attendance with way too many stripes -- guessing that was not factory but honestly since I am not in the market for a Vette I really don't know if this treatment is something that can be ordered from the factory. My up close observations confirmed what I've felt from looking at pictures of the car and seeing perhaps 6 or 7 over the last few months in the greater Detroit area. While I do not find it offensive, to my eye it is a very "busy" design with a few too many discordant angles, an unattractive rear end treatment and a very pointy hood. Overall, I just find that there is too much going on for my old eyes to take in. Park my /94 NSX beside the new Vette and the words that come to my mind when looking at the 25 year old Acura are "clean, organic design and purposeful." It just flows nicely. The Vette, on the other hand, not so much to my eyes. I've also concluded that how the Vette hits my eyes is very color dependent. Some colors hide the bulk and aspects of the design I find busy/overdone.

I'd love a new NSX to keep Baby company. The new NSX when compared to the Vette stikes me the same way -- clean design that is easy on the eyes. Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Best,
Jeff

If Ohio decides to create a more track focused version ...sure.....I'm hoping. We'll find out next year.
I saw the video on a possible R version. I can already tell you that if it came to be that we would get the same bullshit complaints from the many who really wanted 750 hp so that they had the biggest D..ks in the neighborhood. Of course those folks have every right to voice their opinion. See, I am trying to be open minded here. Though to be honest most of them could not pony up the money. I have to think if you aren't turned on with the current NSX, you will not find enough of a difference in the type R to pull the trigger? If they did come out with a Type R I do not think it would be discounted by much as well. As was the case with the previous NSX, one can modify the new car to improve the performance in significant ways. I believe looking for a Type R or S is another way of not making a decision. The current car is a lot more of a car then the previous NSXs in my opinion. Most of us owners probably cannot drive the car at its limits on a track with other cars. I could never drive like Real Time Racing's Peter Cunningham. Taking off in launch mode in a straight line is just not the same. OK, I have my fire suit on.....

You have a consistent message. I appreciate that ..One thing I have learned from prime. Not everyone has the same perspectives as me. Acknowledging other folks prisms has helped me in my interaction. I wish to have a "special" edition NC1 if made...I'm patient .

I saw the video on a possible R version. I can already tell you that if it came to be that we would get the same bullshit complaints from the many who really wanted 750 hp so that they had the biggest D..ks in the neighborhood. Of course those folks have every right to voice their opinion. See, I am trying to be open minded here. Though to be honest most of them could not pony up the money. I have to think if you aren't turned on with the current NSX, you will not find enough of a difference in the type R to pull the trigger? If they did come out with a Type R I do not think it would be discounted by much as well. As was the case with the previous NSX, one can modify the new car to improve the performance in significant ways. I believe looking for a Type R or S is another way of not making a decision. The current car is a lot more of a car then the previous NSXs in my opinion. Most of us owners probably cannot drive the car at its limits on a track with other cars. I could never drive like Real Time Racing's Peter Cunningham. Taking off in launch mode in a straight line is just not the same. OK, I have my fire suit on.....

I am sure there is some "bad ass" who has a NSX GT3 street "legal" (LOL) if one was to really want an "R" type and could afford it ($550k plus spares last time I checked).

https://www.torquenews.com/1574/2018-acura-nsx-gt3-racing-price-admission-548700-us

One guy who I spoke to at a car show that had an NSX said he always regretted taking it to the track.

The paint was pitted in a lot of places.

My buddy had a PORSCHE GT that he tracked, and he got rid of it because it changed the way he drove in that he was more concerned about damaging it.

As they say, "All ships are safe in the harbor, but that isn't what ships are built for".

The one review that floored me was comparing the PORSCHE 918 and the NSX.

Last edited:
Back