• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

C8 vs NSX comparison

Whoa. I guess I'm the sole person that isn't a fan.

Saw a neon sky blue with red line accents everywhere and it furthered my initial opinion. Trying real hard to be open minded but it's a losing battle.

But to each their own. I'm just glad they're at the track.

Last edited:
Whoa. I guess I'm the sole person that isn't a fan.

Saw a neon sky blue with red line accents everywhere and it furthered my initial opinion. Trying real hard to bed open minded but it's a losing battle.

But to each their own. I'm just glad they're at the track.

No, there's two of us. :D I feel like the C7 captured the essence of what Corvette is and can be. It was the only Vette that ever captured my interest. I like that they are trying to deliver the mid-engine performance experience to the masses, but it just doesn't do it for me. I vastly prefer the NC1, but it is a different car aimed at a different owner, even though the performance between the two will be close. I do with they would spruce up the NC1 interior tho...

I was waiting for this thread lol.

I think it's fantastic that Chevy threw into the mid-engine game. It's a big enough sports car to challenge the paradigm and they certainly delivered from a value pov and engineering aspect also with the DCT, convertible/open top offerings with minimal weight compromises. Now, with Nissan GTR rumors being Midship and MR2 revival - Bring them on! The more the merrier, now that sports cars are in the 500+ hp tier.

With that said, the rear end of the C8 is definitely too busy, very much like some of the interior details (props to them for probably hearing the criticism of the NSX and made the paddles metal) and hopefully they can refine the almost obnoxious huge side scoop.

If you watch the Leno presentation of the C8, the reason they could offer such a great value is because the engine is just a high performance version of the ultra refined V8 they've been churning out for years. So all of the complaints about the NSX should be cheaper and lighter, could potentially happen still thanks to the C8. Drop a high-rev J V6 sans electric motor into a modified cheaper NC chassis. Corvette killer. Call it the S2000 successor.

Now that MT Video of NSX vs. Ferrari Pista is like showing a 1993 20K MR2 vs 2002 NSX-R lol. I would love to see a video in the future with the upcoming C8 Z06 (HiRev V8 in development), NSX-R (Heavy bets annoucement coming 2021 - Hope they can shave off hundreds of lbs) and then, again the finally relevant perhaps Pista and some McLaren Variant if they're still in business. Because the Pista destroyed the 500 hp C8 and as expected the 4 year old NSX did a lil bit better but given the Pista is ~3370 lbs with 700+ hp, who did you really think was gonna win???

Honda has so much to tweak in the software department along with the battery tech evolving to maximize the NSX. I'm just grateful the platform exists. For instance the 23 hwy mpg vs the 28 for Corvette. First of all, epa testing needs to update their procedures. Because I imagine that driving around 55 mph around the city freeway, not roadtrip speeds, the v6TT hybrid will get much better hwy numbers than 23. But also Honda needs to tweak the hybrid parasitic drag/ battery recharge during highway cruising....

In the next few years, we may see mid engine GTR, and MR2 revival stepping up to compete also with new i8 stepping it up also. I am gonna guess that the Toyota would-be Midship is gonna be the best surprise, over Nissan and BMW still...

Last edited:
Fact check, the paddles are metal. The switch gear is likely the reason folks don't like the feel of them.

The NSX can't become a Corvette killer. Honda isn't going to invest big (again) in a car selling 4 units a month in it's major market to cheapen it up to compete with a car GM has been selling under cost.

GM has made something that will allow lots of folks to enjoy a mid engine driving experience.

If Toyota does something in that direction it won't be cheap.

Nissan is in financial trouble, the R36 GTR has been delayed, delayed, delayed and based on their heritage approach, kind of hard to see them going mid engine. Nissan stuck their foot in their mouth saying the R36 would be the fastest car, how can they possibly deliver on that with the Tesla Roadster on the horizon?

I don't see Acura/Honda chasing the Corvette. They could shave around 200 lbs. from the car in a relatively straight forward manner. I don't see the switch gear changing as that is a theme that is current for most all the Acura lineup. Perhaps some changes in the front facia as well as the rear facia. Just dropping some weight would improve performance. Newer electric motors in the front would shave some weight as would a different exhaust system. Battery technology is changing and they could utilize higher density batteries. What ever they do it will be in support of their overall values associated with the car. They will not go backwards to satisfy someone who wants an NSX but at a cheaper price point. I kind of laugh when I hear someone say they need an extra 100 hp and 200 lbs. of lost weight and then they would buy the car. Really, you could buy the car and strip it of extra weight. If you opt for the Carbon Brakes that saves a good 50lbs. The Carbon roof is around a 28 pound save. You can dump the 12 volt battery for a lithium and save around 35 to 40 lbs. You can drop the exhaust and save another 40 lbs. Go with carbon wheels and save another 35 to 70 lbs. That is the easy stuff. Changing out the electric motors will perhaps require software changes. But there is weight to save there as well as pick up performance. Go on a diet might save some weight as well.

As some have suggested there may be some minor refresh changes coming in the 2022 NSX. If and when that happens I doubt the folks who complain will all of sudden become satisfied. The basic car is what it is. They could add addition safety features like adaptive cruise, 360 degree camera view, rear backup warning, blind spot warning, etcetera. They could change the software used in the center stack. They could do something with the sun visors. A lot of little stuff to make the car even better than it is now. Additional cup holders. Even with all those changes I would probably not trade in my 2017.

As some have suggested there may be some minor refresh changes coming in the 2022 NSX. If and when that happens I doubt the folks who complain will all of sudden become satisfied. The basic car is what it is. They could add addition safety features like adaptive cruise, 360 degree camera view, rear backup warning, blind spot warning, etcetera. They could change the software used in the center stack. They could do something with the sun visors. A lot of little stuff to make the car even better than it is now. Additional cup holders. Even with all those changes I would probably not trade in my 2017.

Yes, they COULD do all those little tweaks, constantly improving the car, but I don't see it happening. If Honda/Acura wanted to, they would have been on this path already. The problem is that doing so doesn't "pencil out", because none of those things is really going to blip the numbers on monthly sales--all they're going to do is increase the satisfaction of those who were going to buy anyway (and, ironically, perhaps tick off the early adopters who would inevitably feel left out of such upgrades). I also don't see them adding all the little technology items you listed, because they add weight with no improvement in track performance which is really what the car was designed for. I'm not saying they SHOULDN'T do what you described, just why I don't think they will.

Now let me throw out another idea based on what an earlier post suggested. I think they could (and would be silly not to at least investigate) put out a more entry-level NSX rather easily. They could leave that awesome space frame alone, bolt a less exotic set of body panels onto it, use a highly tuned version of the J-series engine, get rid of the hybrid set-up (which alone should please so many of the nay-sayers who don't realize how awesome it truly is) which by itself will reduce weight and leave room for a storage frunk, and put in an updated but less fancy interior. Not being an automotive engineer I have no idea where that would leave them in terms of weight/horsepower, but if the thing can do 0-60 in 5 seconds and still handle acceptably then I think it would be attractive for many buyers. Price it at something like $70k (maybe up to $90k for a loaded advance model) and it would be REALLY attractive. I don't think it would cannibalize NSX sales because it would really be a much different car, and it would actually help bolster the NSX's reputation as a clear halo supercar with this other very respectable sports car produced on the same line. And speaking of the line, it would help Honda get their money's worth out of the PMC, because they'd be cranking out a lot more of these than the small handful a month of NSX's they current do (but wouldn't require any retooling or adjustments at all when those few NSXs do come through).

HaHa you guys are comforting one another....:tongue:...what Honda needs to do is revive the S2000 in some form...The CTR should get the awd platform and about 350 hp. The NSX is a more grey. I will be very interested in how the press and the youtubers rate the new Mac vs the NSX. Price is really Brand specific.

300 RHD C8 for Japan for 2021

Looks like 300 RHD C8's are scheduled to be built for Japan for 2021, and every single one has already been spoken for.

Guess people lust after cars that they can't get, just like the initial demand for the GT-R in the US when the R35 came out, that demand tapered off after 7 years or so (turns out that GT-R sold over 1000 cars until 2015).

Wonder how many C8's will be sold in Japan in 2022, 2023, etc?

Will the cancellation of sales of the NC1 in Japan affect sales of the C8 at all?

Will GM go through the trouble of making the Hybrid-C8/E-Ray available in Japan?

Last edited:
You guys forget that Honda has been toying with cheaper mid engine vehicle for some time with the CTR engine (K20 would be very tuner friendly).

I'm not knocking the 2.0 NSX. I just hope they drop the weight to under 3600 lbs somehow and tweak the software.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...eage-estimate-without-hypermiling-144922.html

Corvette owners get 29 mpg going 65 mph. I used to get 29-30 mpg consistently going about 79 mph with large 19 inch rims in my NA1 during driving 300 miles to college from home for seasonal breaks even tho the NA1 was rated at 24-25 mpg hwy.

The Corvette, no matter if they are not in the same price range, is making a lot of 100K+ cars and the NSX look bad in many categories. Honda will respond if they car anything about image lol.

Side note, Toyota is really good at selling cars. Don't underestimate them especially if it has a Lexus badge. They may suck at building sports cars, but they really did get the SW20 MR2 right and the Supra too I guess. HOpefully they learned thins From BMW and Subaru.

Nissan like many other companies may file bankruptcy but the "400Z" and GTR are inevitable.

I don't underestimate Toyota.

I have an LC 500 convertible, best built, most luxurious car I have ever owned. Wonderful V8 under the hood.

I also had an original round allocation for an LFA, but gave up my build slot after paying the first deposit (my wife was not comfortable with how loud it was going to be). If you ever had a chance to drive one (I have) you wouldn't be so tough on Toyota regarding sports cars.

Lexus and cheap are not words that are combined.

They are behind on their SUV and general electrification efforts so expecting an ICE powered mid engined Lexus is a stretch.

Toyota doesn't suck at building sports cars. They just don't emphasize the category. Folks love their BRZ/86,buts its a low price point, low cost ride. The Supra was just a category filler done on the cheap with BMW, folks were grumpy about it being called a Supra. Big deal, don't like it buy from another manufacturer.

I thought the R36 was a sure thing, the longer it takes, the less likely it seems. The new Z is a parts bin car (good parts bin) and that will help keep cost/pricing viable.

You guys forget that Honda has been toying with cheaper mid engine vehicle for some time with the CTR engine (K20 would be very tuner friendly).

At least in the Japanese market the S660 served it's purpose, mid engine toy car for those who wanted a sports car experience from Honda.

I have seen S660's once in a while on the roads in Osaka, few FK8's and few FK7's as well.

I am yet to see a single NC1 on the road.

I think the mystique of the LFA is that it is advertised as a limited production run under 1000 units - 500. Like the Legendary McLaren F1 is never gonna be owned let alone driven by more than maybe a few hundred people.

The difference is that the F1 and maybe the new GMA T50 or whatever they'll call it, is that the F1 is truly a benchmarked car that people seek to do better than whilst offering a cheaper price point and higher volume.

The LFA when benchmarked , like both NSX models do not offer anything great on paper to justify their relatively expensive costs. So I can't dispute I know what it's like to own an LFA. They sound amazing. But the tech that comes with it and paper performance is not great sports car figures... I'm sure the 500 owners or so, lavish seeing accumalting value in some garage/warehouse whereas probably only 10% of the buyers truly enjoy the actual driving mileage on that Toyota.

If Honda would have said they were only gonna sell 1000 units of the NC1 for the next 8 years for 250k a piece, I bet every single one would be spoken for because people don't like to not have a choice lol. When you have options, you then turn your nose to others.

https://jalopnik.com/toyota-reporte...tm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook

Criticism gets to the best of them, even Toyota. They can sell a lot of cars and Lexus has command of luxury, but again, lots of work to do when it comes to sports car development. Their "sporty looking" LF inspired Camry is not helping their cause. That article sounds like they want to make a serious sports car and not just a half assed Saloon masked Sedan platform.

The LFA was a sales flop and only gained in value the last couple of years.

It was late to market and as you pointed out didn't have magical specs.

As we all understand, when driving a car, the experience is the big thing.

I have driven a couple of LFAs and they are just such a blast.

And with under 170 in the US, the scarcity is leading to big prices.

The F1 was produced in much tinier numbers, 106 total and that was split between the road (64) and track versions. A good chink of production is held by the Sultan of Brunei.

That leads to insane money chasing very few cars.

At least Toyota is putting some resources back to work for performance.

My LC 500 convertible is such a fun car.

The IS 500 is something they did without top tier management scrutiny.

They have hinted strongly that more full on F product is coming.

I imagine their electric cars will also be fun.

Back