• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Caliber paint question.

caliper paint question.

I would love to get my caliper painted on my NSX. Can someone answer the questions below?

What type red paint to use?
Where can I find the paint?
Cost?

A local dealer is trying to charge me 300.00 dollars. Good or Bad price?

Last edited:
Go to the dealer and get those "calibers" painted the right way! You do mean calipers right?

rogers said:
I would love to get my caliber painted on my NSX. Can someone answer the questions below?

What type red paint to use?
Where can I find the paint?
Cost?

A local dealer is trying to charge me 300.00 dollars. Good or Bad price?

Here is how I did it.
DIY-Caliper-Paint-Kit

Hope this helps!

rogers said:
No acura dealer will do it in the local area. :mad:

I wouldn't even take it to an Acura dealer to do in the first place. I'd suggest going down your local independent mechanic and ask him how much they will charge to remove the calipers and paint them. It shouldn't take more than a few hours and its a very easy job to do. If you have the right tools you could easily do it yourself on a Saturday or Sunday.

Re: caliper paint question.

True, but not my cup of tea. Any of you local dc metro area guys know a local shop I can take my baby to?

Last edited:
Don't wanna be mean...... calipers are the part of the braking system that are for show. Fo' sho'.....sholey you didn't go to a innah city hah sku. :wink:

slip a piece of paper between the Rotor and pads. then Mask off the rest of the rotor and spray paint with High temp engine block paint.

I am changing my pads and the rotor looks pretty nasty too so I wired brushed the entire rotor / caliper assembly. and spray paint it silver. Looks 100% better.

Yes the pads will get paint embedded but I'm changing it out anyways.

see it here. it used to be all rusty looking.

attachment.php

Painted my daughters integra calipers with red caliper paint from Pep Boys. My NSX is next. I used high temp engine silver as a base paint to really brighten the calipers and then red over the top. It looks bright clean and has held up extremely well. Just make sure you mask off everything you don't want to paint and clean the calipers well with a wire brush. That's all there is to it. Just spray evenly and allow time for 2 or 3 coats of the final color. If you spray on too much at once you get orange peel or drips and that looks nasty.

Good luck :cool:

I picked up some VHT caliper spray paint at the local Parts Source for CDN$10 and some acetone to clean 'em up with first. There was another full kit there with a cleaning solvent and brush etc but it stated a max intermittent temperature of 500F. The VHT spray paint says its good for 900F.

Holy! Nasty Rotors Batman!!!!!

Poohbear what did you spray on the rotors? look like Acid burned..

That happens when the car sits for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time. No acid burn....I just need to take the car out and drive. :D

fkong777 said:
Holy! Nasty Rotors Batman!!!!!

Poohbear what did you spray on the rotors? look like Acid burned..

VHT caliper paint report

CokerRat said:
I picked up some VHT caliper spray paint at the local Parts Source for CDN$10 and some acetone to clean 'em up with first. There was another full kit there with a cleaning solvent and brush etc but it stated a max intermittent temperature of 500F. The VHT spray paint says its good for 900F.

FYI...I too got suckered into the VHT paint with it's supposedly high temperature rating. Here is a before picture. They looked great until my next track day. Here is what they looked like after one track session. Obviously the temp rating is bogus, my pyrometer measured rotor temps of about 700F but nothing near that on the caliper itself and they blistered black after the first 30 minutes of track use. I have since gone to a black 1200F paint used for headers and such.

Attachments

• brakepaint-002s.jpg
    brakepaint-002s.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 252
  • fbirdeast4-1-05-014s.jpg
    fbirdeast4-1-05-014s.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 346
Back