• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can anyone tell me what my damaged NSX is worth?

I have two people interested in my damaged 1994 NSX even though I have not advertised it for sale. I really could use some help in estimating what it is worth. Someone ran a stop sign and even though I tried to avoid him, he hit me and my car has front end damage. No air bags were deployed. The two front fenders, hood and front bumper have damage and the windshield has a crack in the driver's side lower corner.

I drove my car home, so the car runs (though one fender is hitting the wheel) and everything appeared to work. I will attach some pictures and have many more if people would like me to send them via email. The carfax when I originally bought the car had indicated it had a prior front end accident, but I have never had any problems with the car. I believe my car has ~ 75,000 Miles on it (I need to recheck) and it is an automatic.

I bought the car back from my insurance company and I have received my original title back from my loan company, so I believe it is a clean title. The car is located in NJ. Any help in pricing this car would be very much appreciated! My cell phone number is 215 275 0483 and my email is [email protected].

I will also be looking to purchase a 1995 or newer NSX very soon, in case any of the members have any leads on NSX's for sale in the NJ or Houston Texas (relocated!) areas.

Thank you,
Lisa

Attachments

• NSX Passenger full side reduce DSC08607.jpg
    NSX Passenger full side reduce DSC08607.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 351
  • NSX Passenger front fender reduce DSC08608.jpg
    NSX Passenger front fender reduce DSC08608.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 355
  • NSX Driver Front reduce more DSC08610.jpg
    NSX Driver Front reduce more DSC08610.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 370
  • NSX driver rear reduced DSC08604.jpg
    NSX driver rear reduced DSC08604.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 350
  • NSX Closeup under Hood DSC08617.jpg
    NSX Closeup under Hood DSC08617.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 343
No one can tell you exactly what it's worth, because there are no other cars that are comparable in condition, mileage, etc. Is it worth $2K? $7K? It's worth whatever someone will pay you for it, but there's no way of coming up with an accurate estimate other than putting it up for sale and seeing what you get. As for selling the parts off it, I doubt that an automatic or a 252-hp NSX engine are worth much... but again, you won't know till you try selling them.

I would assume that it's not worth repairing; if it were, you would get an estimate and go ahead and repair it before selling.

BTW, if you sell a totalled car as having a clean title, that sounds like FRAUD to me. I wouldn't recommend it.

I am curious as to why this car is not just taken to a high quality body shop and repaired? If the other guy ran the stop sign have his ins. cover the cost and sell it after. This entire post sounds fishy to me. I just got into an accident how much is my car worth? Maybe it is just me...
How long has the car been sitting now that the mileage needs to be double checked? I can tell you the mileage on my car and it is nothing close to an NSX. :confused:

I have to assume that since you bought it back from the insurance company, that they totaled your car.
Why would you buy it back? They paid off, go find and buy another car.

There is far more damage to this car than fenders, hood, etc. or they wouldn't have totaled it. Part it out, but don't try to pass it off with a "clean title".

As to the thread title: what did you pay for it? That might be a clue to what it's worth.

Sulley

If you bought it from your ins co after they totaled it, it does not have a "clean" title "salvage" is the type you have and after it gets repaired and a inspection (in most states) you will have a "rebuilt" title.

zahntech said:
If you bought it from your ins co after they totaled it, it does not have a "clean" title, "salvage" is the type you have and after it gets repaired and a inspection (in most states) you will have a "rebuilt" title.

Very correct. Once the insurance company "owns" it due to an accident and they have payed a claim equating to the total value of the car, it is at that point a salvage title and probably says so on the title somewhere. The rules vary greatly from state to state, but in many states the car can be repaired, inspected, and the title can be "cleared" or in some states "rebuilt", although Carfax should show it as having salvage history. I would imagine you were able to buy it back for a pretty reasonable price. Insurance companies will typically sell it at a discount to the insured party since it saves them from having to pay towing, storage, and auction fees. I'm sure you can sell it for more than you paid the insurance company for it but it's hard to say how much. Basically, whatever someone is willing to pay for it. You may also do well to part it out, but that take up alot of your time. Personally, if someone is already interested and I could make quick, easy money, I wouldn't spend alot of time on it.

Thanks everyone for your replies back - it is much appreciated!

I loved my car and bought it back since the buyback was such a small amount and since everything worked and it was driveable. I originally was going to get it fixed myself by buying parts from this site and ebay. I was surprised that the insurance company totalled it out, but I couldn't complain with what they valued it at. I don't think they wanted to get involved in an exotic car repair. In NJ your own insurance company settles the claim (no fault insurance) and they go after the other insurance company for their payout plus my deductible, which they then paid to me.

My title isn't listed as salvage because I did examine it and what the insurance company did was payoff my car loan, the original title was forwarded to the insurance company as paid in full, which they then forwarded to me with no changes. This is all new to me since I haven't ever had this situation before, but that was how they handled it.

I have since been relocated to Houston Texas from NJ and it is going to be hard for me to repair my car from long distance with me coming back to NJ once a month and all my relatives tell me I am crazy to try and repair the car and I should just sell it the way it is. So, that is where I am at and the full story, plus I would like to get a newer NSX with a targa top.

I appreciate all the comments since I haven't sold a damaged car like this - should I have the future purchaser sign a statement about the car being damaged or something like that to cover myself since the title doesn't reflect anything?

Lisa

You might want to give ERZ a call. They specialize in parting out crashed NSXs. They have facilities in Brooklyn NY as well as Florida. They might be interested in making you an offer you find acceptable, and since they're close by, I'm sure they could come pick it up in NJ.

There is nothing fraudulent about selling a wrecked car with a clean title, unless you offer the car as an unwrecked car. Titles get salvaged as part of the insurance payout process. If you owned the car outright, and the car was wrecked, you would end up in a situation like you have now. Carfax reports will likely show the accident history for that VIN anyway. The clean title actually adds some value to the car since the next owner would not have to go through the inspection process once it is repaired. As for disclaimers, I'd sell any car "as is" regardless of whether or not it has been wrecked.

My title isn't listed as salvage because I did examine it and what the insurance company did was payoff my car loan, the original title was forwarded to the insurance company as paid in full, which they then forwarded to me with no changes. This is all new to me since I haven't ever had this situation before, but that was how they handled it.

You may not see on the title the word "salvage" but there maybe a number code on it that notes it as such. If your insurance co did what you discribe than they broke the law and commited fraud. :mad:

zahntech said:
You may not see on the title the word "salvage" but there maybe a number code on it that notes it as such. If your insurance co did what you discribe than they broke the law and commited fraud. :mad:

That is speculation at this point. I find it unlikely that an insurance company would put themselves in jeopary like that. We really don't have all of the details, so there's no way we can know for sure.

Looks like the ownership never changed hands, and the ins company just netted out the payment from the buyback. I would assume that the next time you have to renew something DMV will issue you a branded certificate. Just check with DMV the report is already likely on file

I highly doubt her INS CO did what she discribes and only what she discribes, here in washington even if you are the full owner of a vehicle when your insurace company pays out to total it they VOID your title with the state and the state issues you a new one that is "salvage" ..I get to deal with this all the time buying stollen recovery cars..I would eather find a way to fix it right for a reasonable price or sell it on ebay..just my opinion..JZ

Back