• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can mouse eaten leather seats be repaired?

My car has been sitting in the garage for two months and I found that a mouse somehow got inside the garage and inside the car. I have no idea how he got in the car. Anyways, I found that he took a few nibbles out of the leather seats that were perfect. There is a small part where the leather is actually eaten through.

Does anyone know if this can be repaired? What would be the process? Where would I take it?

[This message has been edited by gobble (edited 18 January 2003).]

Individual pieces of the leather can be replaced and resewn if you can find a top notch leather upholstery craftsman.

Where to find one? I don't know. I suppose I would try asking John Vasos at Acura of Brookfield to start with; maybe he would know of a place. Other than that, I might look up leather repair - particularly leather furniture repair - in the internet yellow pages as well as in internet search engines, and start making phone calls. Call the place whose name and/or location sounds like a good match, and ask them if they can do it (and perfectly, because you're really picky); if they can't, ask them who can.

Try www.drvinyl.com
let us know the outcome..good luck..

time for you to get the "cat from hell"
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by spartan2-3 (edited 19 January 2003).]

Or you can order an exact piece from your Acura Dealer. IMO, I'd get the OEM piece. It makes life easier.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

My NSX was left in the garage during last winter and when I cranked up the AC for the first time in the spring, the AC drain was clogged and I ended up with about 3" of water on my passenger's side floor board. I caught it right away and got it dried out ,but I found out a mouse had got under the car and was eating the drain hose to get water. This mangled the line so that water could not get out. So, you may want to check that drain line....He may have wanted some water to wash down that leather!

Sounds like buying an individual piece of leather is the way to go. The mouse confined his eating to one panel on the bottom of the seat. I don't see these leather pieces in the online parts catalog. Is there anything special I should tell the dealer, or will they know where to find them?

By the way, I set two traps last night and caught two mice.

If/when you go to the dealer, you should be able to see a picture(or tell them) of which piece you need. I'm sure they'll have no problem ordering it.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

Looks like you guys aren't putting enough mothballs around your cars!!!! :) So far this winter I havn't noticed anything inside my engine bay!

(for those that don't know, I've done two threads on the pros and cons of mothballs to keep mice out of my car)

Mothballs? Doesn't that make the car smell bad? I'll have to look for those threads.

I've stored cars in my garage and my parents garage for the last 10 years and have never had a mouse problem. I think what happened is that my wife decided it would be a good idea to feed the birds all winter and leave the birdfood bags in the garage. I found piles of birdseed in the car when I opened the door. It's a good thing I started the car this weekend or I would have never found the problem until it was way to late. By the way, 3 traps set last night and 2 more mice this morning.

Does anyone have any guesses as to where a mouse could enter an NSX? Are there passages in it or would he have to eat through somewhere?

[This message has been edited by gobble (edited 20 January 2003).]

Originally posted by gobble:
Does anyone have any guesses as to where a mouse could enter an NSX?

I have no idea (assuming the doors and windows are shut tight, of course). I have had mouse in my garage and none have ever gotten inside the car.

Do NSX seats taste good? It's an expensive cuisine, I suppose
smile.gif

In any case, I would be interested in seeing how it could be fixed just in case something similar happens in the future!

I found out this morning that Acura of Brookfield can order individual pieces of leather for the seats. The prices are as follows:

small 10x18 $62.86 Part# 81999-001006B-S
medium 17x23 $163.29 Part# 81999-001005B-M
large 19x25 $242.95 Part# 81999-001004B-L

They send their trim work to a place called the custom top shop. They can sew in a new piece of leather in the damaged area. Cost estimate for the labor is +/- $100. They say that any differences in the dye lots would not be noticable.

[This message has been edited by gobble (edited 20 January 2003).]

Is that factory leather from Acura, or are they just working with a good leather upholstery shop? If they are from Acura, please post the part #'s.

P.S. A mouse can get in anywhere a decent amount of air can get in. Mice are very good at squeezing through small spaces.

gobble, gobble...

mmm....

Sorry, just had to do it!

I've seen very new Mercedes come through auctions with listed "rodent damage" This usually is eaten hoses, insulation, etc. I've never actually seen seats eaten. How large are the bites?

The bites aren't all that bad. There are three spots with the worst being about half the size of a dime. I'm starting to worry that the mouse tried the leather, didn't like the taste and found something else to eat. The trim shop said they normally eat seats from the inside out. I didn't see any other damage but haven't had a chance to pull the car out and fully inspect it.

The Acura dealer can order individual pieces of leather that are exact replacements for different parts of the seat. You only need to tell them/show them which part you need and they should be able to order it.

I'm guessing that the above mentioned leather pieces are aftermarket and not OEM, correct me if I'm wrong.

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

I say tan the hide of the mouse and sew him in as a patch. Let it serve as a warning to his brethren.
I suggest getting the panel from Acura if available, then get a pro to put it in. We had a mercedes seat fixed in this fashion and it was indistinguishable from new.

------------------
Happy Motoring At all Costs!

Not looking for a new record...but it was the only thread I could find while searching for the part no. of 'PATCH, LARGE LEATHER *NH188L* (REAL BLACK) - ACURA (81999-001004B-L'

Did anybody work with it? I know that a lot can be repaired before replacing but if it's too much to repair...

Back