• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can you get a speeding ticket even if you are not in your car?

FWIW, I never lie or act evasive nor confrontational when approached by the police. If I get a ticket, and I have, I accept it and opt for "guilty with an explanation" in court. It has resulted in reduced fines in the past.

Sonny, I don't know why you would begin your exchange with the police by lying and being confrontational.

Also, all your hypothetical what-ifs are meaningless. Deal with the problem at hand and don't make any more problems for yourself.

Last edited:
It's my view to say to the bobby: yes sir, no sir, 3 bags full sir. I'm in my 1987 Grand National making an illegal left turn. I said to the cop, I did not realize it was illegal...I was busy watching the oncoming traffic to make sure it was safe to turn left. He let me go in a Buick "give me a ticket" Grand National. Regards...Andrew

p.s. paid dividends to be nice.....

Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail like you did.

Why is there a double standard that allows cops to lie and punishes a citizen for doing the same? Doesn't this very standard promote cops not only to lie but to also assume that everyone else lies too? From my observations of life I have noticed that those who often accuse others of something are most often doing the exact same thing they are accusing others of doing.

Funny you say that. When involved on that side of things... I hear "everyone lies" on a daily basis.

I'm definitely no lawyer and I won't pretend to know the laws but over the years I have learned it's much bettter to obey and respect cops vs. your current attitude.

All said and done if you hire a lawyer, etc even if you do win, you will lose in the bottom dollar as the costs for the lawyer and time are far greater than just be willing to cooperate. I have plenty of friends in LE and they all deal with a lot of crap each day. A small hint of cooperation probably would have gotten you off with on problems. If you have nothing to hide, why park your car??? That in itself is very suspicious if they saw you (an nsx is hard to forget really)

btw whenever you lie to a cop, legal or not, it's probable cause for them and you will never out lie a cop since they are trained to find inconsistencies which is what you did in contradicting yourself. There is inothing illegal for them to lie as it's their job to find out the truth. Can you imagine if every police officier tells the truth to suspects? Ever watch Law/Order?

In the end you will lose....being young is nothing special as we were all young once and we will all get old one day. Better to go through life smelling the roses IMO :)

I'm definitely no lawyer and I won't pretend to know the laws but over the years I have learned it's much bettter to obey and respect cops vs. your current attitude.

All said and done if you hire a lawyer, etc even if you do win, you will lose in the bottom dollar as the costs for the lawyer and time are far greater than just be willing to cooperate. I have plenty of friends in LE and they all deal with a lot of crap each day. A small hint of cooperation probably would have gotten you off with on problems. If you have nothing to hide, why park your car??? That in itself is very suspicious if they saw you (an nsx is hard to forget really)

btw whenever you lie to a cop, legal or not, it's probable cause for them and you will never out lie a cop since they are trained to find inconsistencies which is what you did in contradicting yourself. There is inothing illegal for them to lie as it's their job to find out the truth. Can you imagine if every police officier tells the truth to suspects? Ever watch Law/Order?

In the end you will lose....being young is nothing special as we were all young once and we will all get old one day. Better to go through life smelling the roses IMO :)

Never sell a car without taking care of the fix-it ticket against that car. Is that correct, Rick?:wink:

I too have to call BS on this scenario. I do not know what the OP actually did, but his actions were suspicious to say the least. What is "revving" your exhaust block to block? Does that mean you pushed the clutch in and revved the engine while coasting at 25 MPH? Or, were you accelerating and revving your engine like leaving it in first or second and redlining it from light to light? Regardless, it was a poor decision. What's with the loud exhaust? It draws attention and echoes off buildings-poor decision to have it and drive it like that which alerts everyone to your presence. "Look at me" exhaust. Now, I had a CompTech muffler on my '01 NSX but did not drive around in town at high RPM to draw attention to myself. Had I done that and the police stopped me- 100% bought and paid for ticket.

You appear to have acted foolishly and are lucky they did not arrest you for lying to them and tow your car. I suspect they were able to see you speeding somehow or hear you speeding (not good on their part). However, your actions controlled your fate. So I regret that you then came on this site and tried to gain sympathy for your foolish actions. I know cops are not angels, but come on now....man up.

What is "revving" your exhaust block to block?

This can be considered as exhibition of speed; therefore, the officer can issue a ticket without the driver actually going over the speed limit.

FWIW, I never lie or act evasive nor confrontational when approached by the police. If I get a ticket, and I have, I accept it and opt for "guilty with an explanation" in court. It has resulted in reduced fines in the past.

Sonny, I don't know why you would begin your exchange with the police by lying and being confrontational.

Also, all your hypothetical what-ifs are meaningless. Deal with the problem at hand and don't make any more problems for yourself.

Hey old man, who you calling 'Sonny'?

;)

Well, in Washington there's no 'display of speed' law that I'm aware of, but you could get arrested for making a false statement to a cop. Provided that they are investigating a crime, such as speeding.

If a cop is just talking to you and doesn't think you've done anything wrong, you could tell him your name is Luke Skywalker, and they can't do a thing about it.

Nick

Here's the law: "Any person who willfully flees or attempts to evade a peace officer performing his/her duties is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in a county jail..."

If a cop is just talking to you and doesn't think you've done anything wrong, you could tell him your name is Luke Skywalker, and they can't do a thing about it.
You have the right general idea, but it's not about whether or not the cop thinks you've done anything wrong. It's about whether or not he's in the process of investigating anything. The cop can consider you to be innocent, uninvolved, and a saint, but if he's talking to you in the course of an investigation, you still can't legally lie to him.

The only time you can lie to a cop is if you're just plain chatting with him during some down time between cases, that sort of thing. Even then, if you told him a lie that then caused him to do something in his capacity as a police officer, you'd be in violation of the law. Basically, you don't want to take the chance of appearing to interfere with his duties, because that's what the law is there to deter people from (or punish people for) doing.

Back