• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Can You Hear Your Clutch In Neutral?

At idle (inside the car and doors shut) I can hear a whirring sound when I let out the clutch pedal in neutral. It's not loud, but I can hear a soft whirring sound. It goes away completely when the clutch pedal is depressed (I believe the PO put a racing clutch in this car - if it matters). Normal - Not Normal?
Thanks,

Last edited:
Maybe your throw-out bearing is making a little noise. Nothing to be worried about I think unless it's dramatic.

You guys are worth your weight in gold. How nice is it to have unbiased and knowledgeable people helping you out on issues that are beyond your technical expertise about something you really enjoy! KUDOS :smile:

I just had my Acura dealer install a new OEM twin plate clutch in my 1991 after a defective clutch or bad installation a little over a year ago.

The new clutch works much better than the old one but, after a couple of weeks of driving, it began to whine when the clutch is depressed. The noise disappears as soon as the clutch is released. And it does not matter whether the transmission is in neutral or any gear - as soon as the clutch is depressed it makes the noise. :confused:

I am going to take it back to the dealer but, until I do, does anyone have any thoughts?

...it began to whine when the clutch is depressed. The noise disappears as soon as the clutch is released. And it does not matter whether the transmission is in neutral or any gear - as soon as the clutch is depressed it makes the noise. :confused:

Bad throw-out bearing or installation. TOB need to be greased properly, otherwise it can be actuated off-center by the lever.

I got the same problem, I hear it a lot when I let off the gas at about 4 or 5000 rpm in 1st or 2sec gear.

If the mileage is about 100k the countershaft-bearing (inside the tranny) can be worn out and cause this sound (grinding noise) during decelerating in 1st and 2sec gear.
We had some of such cases here in Germany and Switzerland and recommend to replace this bearing during clutch install.

If the mileage is about 100k the countershaft-bearing (inside the tranny) can be worn out and cause this sound (grinding noise) during decelerating in 1st and 2sec gear.
We had some of such cases here in Germany and Switzerland and recommend to replace this bearing during clutch install.

Do you have to open up the trany to get to the bearing or can you just drop it and change it out?

Back