• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

car cranks when key is turned

In my store, before we do any work to a vehicle, my techs perform a checkout on the vehicle and note any problems,scratches,dents, ect.. Well, one of the installers is somewhat of a smartass and will write odd comments like "car cranks when key is turned", "car wont move in park", "exhaust makes rumbling noise", and so on...
So we are closing a ticket on a customer when he ask to read the checkout sheet. We hand it to him and he replies in an harsh tone" What is this about my car cranks when key is turned? It never had any problems like that before?" Amazed that he even asked, I said it was the installers way of joking. He still didnt get it and insisted that we get the installer to explain what his comment.
Where do these people come from????

SNDSOUL said:
In my store, before we do any work to a vehicle, my techs perform a checkout on the vehicle and note any problems,scratches,dents, ect.. Well, one of the installers is somewhat of a smartass and will write odd comments like "car cranks when key is turned", "car wont move in park", "exhaust makes rumbling noise", and so on...

That's great. I'd laugh my ass off if that was written on my statement.

Here's a funny one from my days during my residencey program. I go on an call with another resident to assess a patient prior to their general anesthesia clearance. Well this patient had four front teeth that were "flapping in the wind" as my co-resident wrote in her chart. I laughed when he told me what he wrote, but the next day during our rounds meeting we got our asses handed to us by the department chief. Actually, since I didn't sign my name in chart I was cleared from any administrative actions, but my friend had to go and explain to the surgeons what he meant. Lesson learned; never write something on a legally binding contract or chart that may come back to haunt you. Even if the stataement is harmless, use an acronym that only you and your staff undertand.

One of my favorite "pranks" is when I call a client at their office, very often the secretary/receptionist will say; "May I ask who's calling", I answer very nicely, "Yes, you may", and then all you hear is a perplexed silence, before they realize that they can then ask "who may I say is calling", it seems that they never learn as very often they continue with this question forever!!!!:mad:

It looks like the installer is board, maybe wants attention and comes across as not taking their job/work seriously. When I spend 100's or 1000's of my money I expect skilled and professional service. I would say this employee needs some constructive criticism.

“If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.” Vince Lombardi

Briank said:
It looks like the installer is board, maybe wants attention and comes across as not taking their job/work seriously. When I spend 100's or 1000's of my money I expect skilled and professional service. I would say this employee needs some constructive criticism.

“If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.” Vince Lombardi
He has been installing for 13yrs so I'm pretty sure he's got the skilled/professional part down and there are no idol hands in my shop, so he's definetly not bored. For the most part these comments are only viewed by store employees and are meant to lighten the mood. It gives most a good chuckle, so as long as its not vulger, I have no problem with it. If you were a customer and were offended by a comment like that, then you are most likely IMO a little too anal and should take a vacation and relax.:biggrin:

RPM217 said:
One of my favorite "pranks" is when I call a client at their office, very often the secretary/receptionist will say; "May I ask who's calling", I answer very nicely, "Yes, you may", and then all you hear is a perplexed silence, before they realize that they can then ask "who may I say is calling", it seems that they never learn as very often they continue with this question forever!!!!:mad:
along these lines are a couple of my personal favorites:

them (usually filling out a form): "do you know how to spell your last name?"
me: "yes, since i was 3"

or

them (over the phone): "and what was your name again?"
me: "it still is, XXX"

uh-mazing.

Maybe you could have forms made up that only carbon copy "in house" comments on the "in house" copy and not the customers copy of the paperwork.

SNDSOUL said:
If you were a customer and were offended by a comment like that, then you are most likely IMO a little too anal and should take a vacation and relax.:biggrin:
The problem is, these "little too anal" customers have money to spend... do you want it? :wink:

EIFFEL said:
Most NSX owners are anal, that's why we bought an NSX. IMO, the comments should be left in the shop and not written down for customer viewing.
You guys must be misunderstanding what I am talking about. The checkout sheets are for the store only, not customers. Only nosey customers that ask to read the checkout sheet(maybe 1 out of 3 or 400) see the comments. And thats only if there was something written on it. Its not like its every car gets a joke written on it. But you guys are right, I need to instruct my employees to be more stiff and nonpersonable, that really makes for good customer care?? I think we are doing fine with our clients, rich and poor, but I will take your suggestions into consideration.:cool:

Back to the topic, the thread was making fun of the stupid customer that didnt pick up on the car doesnt crank comment.

SNDSOUL said:
You guys must be misunderstanding what I am talking about. The checkout sheets are for the store only, not customers. Only nosey customers that ask to read the checkout sheet(maybe 1 out of 3 or 400) see the comments. And thats only if there was something written on it. Its not like its every car gets a joke written on it. But you guys are right, I need to instruct my employees to be more stiff and nonpersonable, that really makes for good customer care?? I think we are doing fine with our clients, rich and poor, but I will take your suggestions into consideration.:cool:

Back to the topic, the thread was making fun of the stupid customer that didnt pick up on the car doesnt crank comment.

Back to the topic, the thread was making fun of the stupid customer that didnt pick up on the car doesnt crank comment.:eek:

SNDSOUL said:

I think his comments are funny and wouldn't bother me a bit if I saw them on my checkout sheet.

How would a customer even know that there is a checkout sheet?

Why are so many people so easily offended these days? I think it is hilarious. I would probably be "dumb" at first until it was explained to me then I would think that it is funny. Some wise guy who installs systems likes to add humor to his work, so what. At least he does not think it is funny to hide cigarette butts or the rest of his lunch in the box he installed. Because you are a paying customer you can control everything? He is not cutting corners on an install, he is putting down a goofy side comment.

Most people are not very interested in "Humor" when they are writing a check for 500$-1000$-2000$....But what would I know about Auto service??:smile: :smile:

zahntech said:
Most people are not very interested in "Humor" when they are writing a check for 500$-1000$-2000$....But what would I know about Auto service??:smile: :smile:

No, they are interested in getting a quality product that is installed well, if that comes with humor than I would be a customer for life.

For every uptight bozo who is upset about something like this there will be three people who will find humor in it and will be more comfortable dealing with someone who is human and not a robot.

Carguy! said:
For every uptight bozo who is upset about something like this there will be three people who will find humor in it and will be more comfortable dealing with someone who is human and not a robot.

Most people trust robots more than Humans.

The bigger Issue here is that most drivers know very little about their cars ..so when someone that they think knows more than they do says that something is wrong (joking or not) they freak-out!!!....Its very understandable...seen it many times.....

Obviously this customer was not interested in humor involving his paperwork.... Brett can choose to make sure the humor stays in the shop or he can choose to not deal with certain uptight customers....otherwise stuff like this is going to happen..

Last edited:
SNDSOUL said:
, I need to instruct my employees to be more stiff and nonpersonable, that really makes for good customer care??

...and a boring work environment.

If you have a problem with any business around here you get a big FU from the owner. There is no other place to go so you have no choice but to be happy with what you get.
I always find it amusing when a new person moves into town from an uptight fast paced city, and we the people of this town force them to calm their asses down and relax.

OH MY GOD!!! You guys are outta control...get over yourself...

The comment was meant to keep someone who is a manual labor position happy and entertained with his position. This keeps happy dedicated employees that turn out great work, put in that extra effort and makes sure that your $500 or $2000 job gets done to there best of their ability.

The customer who freaked sounds like he would drive an NSX if he could afford such an "exotic". He did not even READ the comment he just assumed there was a problem; this is what makes him stupid. The majority of people have very little in the way of reading comprehension skills.

As far as stupid customer with money to spend.... doesn’t Brett want it? SHUT UP!!!

Of course he wants it

There was no disrespect shown to the customer or his car, I know and sell product to Brett and I am 110% sure that everything was handled professionally and that he went above and beyond the call of duty.

01blacks4 said:
The comment was meant to keep someone who is a manual labor position happy and entertained with his position. This keeps happy dedicated employees that turn out great work, put in that extra effort and makes sure that your $500 or $2000 job gets done to there best of their ability.
I understand that completely. However, by my benign comment (The problem is, these "little too anal" customers have money to spend... do you want it?), I am just aligning that approach with the real world, as in, from the perspective of people with different senses of humor than those who work at his shop. Note: I understand the joke, and would have found it enjoyable.

01blacks4 said:
As far as stupid customer with money to spend.... doesn’t Brett want it? SHUT UP!!!

Of course he wants it
By your tone, it sounds like you, too, could benefit from some humor on an invoice. :biggrin:

yeah i was haveing a bad day and went overboard with the shut ups...sorry for being such an a$$clown,
i still feel the same way just not with the hostility

A friend of mine, while teaching school in Ann Arbor, phoned a family and told them that, after extensive testing in physical education, it was determined that their son was a homosapien. Their reaction, "No! How could that be? He's so normal at home!" :wink:

Back