• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Healed Itself?

Check this...My CEL light has been on because of a O2 sensor that need to be replaced, as told me by the mechanic, so I've been putting off getting it fixed this winter as I've not been drivng the car that much. However, last night, the wife and I took it out about 12 or 15 miles away and had dinner. Afterwards on the drive back, I noticed the light was turned off. Checked when I got home to see if it had burned out but it had not. I thought once a light comes on (throws a code), that it is on until you reset the computer. What do you think happened? I don't have a device to read codes.
-Robert

Check this...My CEL light has been on because of a O2 sensor that need to be replaced, as told me by the mechanic, so I've been putting off getting it fixed this winter as I've not been drivng the car that much. However, last night, the wife and I took it out about 12 or 15 miles away and had dinner. Afterwards on the drive back, I noticed the light was turned off. Checked when I got home to see if it had burned out but it had not. I thought once a light comes on (throws a code), that it is on until you reset the computer. What do you think happened? I don't have a device to read codes.
-Robert

Let's see here - how bout - don't look a gift horse in the mouth or let sleeping dogs lay. Something like that - otherwise I have no clue. Hope it stays off!

Yeah...I was thinking about putting a smiley face sticker over the light! Tim, Its starting to smell a lot like golf here in our area again. This year...It happens! See ya soon, dude!

-Robert

Entropy-things tend to get worse not fix themselves.

I've had things like this happen before and I tried a quick search to see what the causes may have been.

thing with mine was it popped on and scared me. I drove home and let it sit a while. came back later to drive it (few hours later) and it was off, and it hasn't come up after abour 1k miles.

Yeah...I was thinking about putting a smiley face sticker over the light! Tim, Its starting to smell a lot like golf here in our area again. This year...It happens! See ya soon, dude!

Played on Saturday - one of 3 times since Thanksgiving and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I 3 putted all day though....still shot 93 - awful. You're on dude!

2 years ago, the same thing happened with my '92. I was cruising along at about 65 and the cel came on. After checking it, it was an O2 sensor. I cleared the code and the next time I took it out, the light stayed out and has not come on again since ( 12,000 miles ago).

I wonder if a piece or carbon or something gets lodged into the sensor and then burns off(?)

Last edited:

We used black electrical tape in the Tomcat when we couldn't get a warning light out...mainly during night traps.

Last edited:
On OBDII cars , the ecu can determine if the problem is intermittent and it will turn off the CEL if there is a certain amount of time without the problem happening , if your O2 sensor was pulling a code it will surely happen again soon.

Back