• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car lost electricity for no reason.

Hi everyone,

My 91 NSX was working very well without any problem recently until tonight, I parked outside my friends place (was raining) and chilled for a few hours.
But when I got out of his place and about to start my car, the power just died and never had any electricity again! (there was still light when i stepped into the car, and the power died right when I put the keys into the ignition)
I pumped the hood and the battery did not get loose, and the battery gauge was still high up in the morning.

Have anyone experienced this before?

Let me know

Thanks

Some ideas:

- Your battery is in distress and needs to be replaced. Have it tested.
- The battery terminals are dirty. Remove each side of the terminals and clean them, also clean the post. When I say clean, I mean use one of those battery terminal/post cleaner; it's like a wire brush. Ensure that the terminals are solidly connected to the battery posts.
- The car's ground is loose or has come disconnected. Trace the negative side of the battery to where it is grounded on the frame. I'm not sure about this, so I'll refer you to the shop manual (search on it here on Prime to find a copy of the manual), but if there are other ground points, find them and also check that they are connected solidly.
- If you are getting interior lights but no power on things related to the ignition key (such as accessories and dashboard, or turning over the starter), your ignition switch might be needing attention. If this is the case, try jiggling the key and see if electrical items wake up.

Hope this helps.

Battery terminals stretch over time and become loose. Clean the posts up and replace terminals clamps with ones from you local auto parts store should solve your issue. I did mine a few years back. I also added some dielectric grease to keep everything for corroding.

You left it out in the rain. It was probably pissed.:tongue:
Seriously though, so you got no clicking, no dash lights of any kind, absolutely nothing? Id start by checking "all" the fuses under the front compartment and engine bay with a test light. You'll want to rule that out first.

Freaking Terminals probably .. since our battery gets wet non stop down there ... I had an embarrassing experience as all ferraris vettes and lambos were bulletproof yet my car wouldn't turn on = TERMINALS, FML!

76721_133551646698313_100001304359666_173938_5690830_n.jpg

They waited though, LOL!

Oscar

Thanks guys,

Yes it turned out to be the terminal's problem, and when I had my friend come over and jump start my car, once the clamp was connected the car came back to life lol.

Well, im glad it was nothing major but was kinda embarrassing haha

Everyone should have a check list for when they purchase a used car. I do. I've always worried about previous owners overlooking the simple things. When I got my car the pos. terminal was so loose I'm shocked the car started. I just accidently stumbled across it. That and the main relay was changed just because.:wink: Glad you resolved it.

Back