• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Shipping Experiences?

My friend rear ended an SUV with his car and he's selling it to me cheap so I can fix it up and get it on the road again. It drives fine according to him, but I just don't feel like driving it across the country.

Does anyone have any experience with shipping cars? I've gotten quotes, but all the companies are brokers and I'm not sure who to go with and who to trust.

I have used this person, she is a broker and i couldnt be happier with the experience.

503-760-3232 and her name is Cathy (or Kathy) She was direct and personable. had several quotes from different carriers and i got to pick which was going to work best for my needs.

Sample Transport service. The owners name is John Sample. He's not a broker and is the one who actualy transports your car. Operates out of Madison Ohio. Highly recomend him for enclosed transport service. Had a great experiance with him. I found him on Uship.com He has a ton of feedback on there. Phone # is 216-870-7939.

After watching shipping wars, there is no way I'd use a broker :eek:

After watching shipping wars, there is no way I'd use a broker :eek:

what happened on shipping wars?

- - - Updated - - -

Check out the BBB and online reviews before you select. I actually used an auto shipping broker before to ship and had no problems whatsoever.

Dasautoshippers.com. I have been using them a few times in the past 8 years to ship my DD Honda across the country back and forth and have had no issue.

This guy named Det- 801-631-0844 enclosed hauler. He's awesome.
Stay away from Turbo auto transport the guy is a crook. Yes thats based on personal experience.

Jim Wilson 925-518-6860
Excellent shipper. He has a 2 car covered trailer. He shipped my M6 from New York.

I recently shipped a vehicle and I can tell you that the majority of shippers are brokers. Check out autotransporters.com for reviews on transporters. I thought I had hired a shipper but he was booked and just brokered out my shipment. Downside of brokers is the vehicle will not be picked up for a week or two even after you have scheduled pick-up. Upside is you get the lowest price.

im negotiating on an M6 in NY.........what did the transport run you?

He transported an M6 in the month of December 5 years ago. I think he was involved in racing. When he retired he wanted to stay connected to the auto related stuff, so he decided to do auto transport. Great old guy, highly recommended. I suggest you call him first, if you have any reservations.

Rich

PS ask if he remembers me - Richard Wong - red M6

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 97414View attachment 97415

Cost me $1100 from Greenbay, WI to Phoenix, AZ enclosed insured transport. Vehicle picked up one week after scheduled pick-up date.

Hey Nick,

I got a call last week from someone that has Jim's phone. He told me that Jim passed away during a transport delivery. And that his son has taken over the business. If anyone needs a number...PM

Rich

Here is the info for the son of the guy I used.
Tony 925-787-0276
But he only transports from the east side of the Rockies - westward.
He does know someone that does longer trips

After I purchased my 2002 Imola, the dealership - Ed Martin Acura, coordinated a closed container shipment from Indianapolis to San Antonio for $975 with "Dealer to Dealer".

I believed I was dealing with an actual company that owned trucks. They gave me the name of the trucker and seemed to have everything worked out. They did not pick up the car on the day promised and then the memorial day holiday hit and we could not get ahold of the driver or Dealer to Dealer for 4 days. Then they still did not pick up the car and a week had passed. By then I was getting frustrated and called to see if I could get another company to do the job.

I called Chris at CSL Auto Transport 626-771-3294. He had good reviews and transports many of the new Audi R8's and Lambo's in the USA.

He looked at the computer system that the trucking companies use and saw my car. He told me that the odds of my car getting picked up were not very good since Dealer to dealer was offering $800 to transport my car.
Turned out they were just a broker and put out such a low bid that nobody would ship for that price per mile. Chris explained that if someone picked it up, they would be a low bidder and I would get what I paid for. He even told me that the computer system showed a Bently that "Dealer to dealer" had a bid out for that had been waiting a few weeks and nobody would pick it up for what they offered to pay. Bottom line, I ended up using CSL Auto Transport and they picked up the car the next day and had it at my door 2 days later. It was $1525 for the trip, but I got it when promised and on the car was well taken car of. Chris was very helpful and explained how the whole enclosed auto shipping system worked. Many brokers making money while they don't own the trucks or drivers and have to rely on the drivers to accept bids and then pick up your car.
Bottom line - I would ask if a company actually owns their own trucks or is putting out for a bid for any driver to pick up.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back