• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

car won't start

Please can anyone offer advice on a perplexing problem.
I have a 1992 5spd NSX with 120,000kms (75,000 miles).
It is driven to and from work 4 days a week.

About 6 weeks ago on a Fri I returned to my car after work to find that I could not start it. I used my alarm remote successfully to unlock the doors but when I turned the key in the ignition there was no response at all, no engine turning, no lights, no electrics at all. After this even my alarm remote would not work.

I called the AA who jump started the car and told me to replace a probable dead battery. So I drove the car home and on Mon expected to have to jump start the car to take it to the Honda dealership (we don't have Acura in NZ). Surprisingly it started without a problem but I took it to Honda anyway. By mid morning they called me to say that they could find nothing wrong with the battery and the alternator tested ok too.

The car has been fine for 6 weeks and then just this week the same thing happened again when I came to start the car on Mon morning. I jump started it successfully to get to work.

I don't think it is a faulty ignition switch as it would not start no matter how many times I turned the key.

I wonder if it could be due to a fault with the Alpine SEC-8057 alarm system. I operate this in valet mode ie the alarm is not activated and is used only to remotely unlock the doors. It does have a problem when unlocking in that intermittently it will unlock the doors then repeatedly keep unlocking the doors until stopping by itself after up to 20 pulses or when the doors are locked by remote or door switch. Although I can't think how a jump start could start the car if it had been immobilised by the alarm system.

Thanks for any help given.

Hello and welcome to the forum. The first thing I would try is to completely disconnect the alarm and see if the problem continues.

Regarding the ignition switch, that was my first guess. Try this, turn the key to the "on" position and move it around to try and see if you can get the dash lights to flicker on or off. Hopefully it's something that simple.

The last thing I would guess is you might have corroded power cables running from your battery.

Good luck

CHeck the Main Fuel Relay. That seems to be the most common problem with cars not starting.

How old is the battery? You said when you jump started it all was well, correct? If the battery is 4 years old or older, I would just replace it.

Anything over 4 years on a battery is a gift IMO.

HTH,
LarryB

Make sure the battery terminals are clean and very TIGHT on the battery terminals, if you can wiggle the terminals by hand, it is loose, and must be tighten securely. Also make sure the terminals are pushed all the way down on the battery post.

Thank you all for the helpful advice.

hlweyl - moving the key around did not cause the dash lights to flicker, the power cables do not appear corroded, if the problem occurs again I will try disconnecting the alarm

NetViper - I'm not sure how to check the main fuel relay, the fuse for the fuel pump is fine

Larry Bastanza - the battery is 10 years old now - certainly due for preventative replacement

EIFFEL - the negative terminal was a little loose and could be wiggled, I cleaned it and tightened it, hopefully this will solve the problem

The main fuel relay is in your interior, behind the passenger seat. If that goes completely bad, you will not hear the fuel pump run for 3 seconds after turning the key to the "on" position (its a good habit to get used to listening for that each time you put your key in).

Larry probably hit it right on the head(as usual), your battery is way overdue.

woh. ten years? holy crap. even if it's NOT the problem, no doubt it will BE a problem. replace it today.

If you do have a faulty main fuel pump relay, the engine WILL STILL turn over, without cranking. All other electrical functions remain normal, but motor will only turn over, until the battery goes dead. So, that is only a fuel delivery issue, not electrical (although, obviously, the relay is an electrical device.).

Thanks again for the advice.

The car's service records indicate that battery was replaced in 1994. I bought the car last year so I am only assuming that was when it was last replaced. I may be wrong. When I asked Honda to replace the battery they told me it had tested ok and didn't need to be replaced. If I have further problems I will replace it regardless.

Hi Kiwinnsx,
Nex time when it happen, turn on your headlamp and see if it work or not. If it doesn't, that mean there is no battery power. There might be a loose conection somewhere. Hope this help.:)

From what your saying it sounds like you have a intermittent electrical draw on the battery. If the car starts right up after giving it a jump then thats were I would start. It has been my experience that aftermarket alarm systems can sometimes cause this problem. As was previously recommended, I would disconnect power to the aftermarket alarm and see if the problem disappears.

Back