• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Carbon Fiber, Kevlar, even Wood grain Finishes for Interior and Exterior Parts

I am currently seeing if anyone is interested in refinishing there dashes, air box cover, rear window garnishes, ect... with the following services i have available.
<br>
I currently finishing an NSX Airbox with a glossy finish. Semi Gloss and Satin Finishes will also be available and cost a little less.
<br>
This is a propriety/permanent finish and is not like an applied vinyl graphic. This process/service is currently contracted by many major firearms and automotive manufactures as I cannot name them as obligated contracts with these manufactures will not allow me too. Currently, a wood grain submittal is being approved by another overseas automotive manufacturer if anyone is interested on wood grain finishes for any of their automobiles.
<br>
Here are a few samples without a finish coating (glossy, semi-gloss, and satin will be available. sorry for the I-Phone pictures.)
<br>
Carbon Fiber Twill weave pattern
picture.php

<br>
Kevlar Twill weave pattern
picture.php

<br>
Carbon Fiber Single weave pattern (called walkie talkie as the pattern has a look of a small walkie talkie)
picture.php

Last edited:
Cost for doing the TWILL WEAVE pattern for the NSX OEM airbox is $90 which includes shipping back to you and all paypal fee's ect...(it's a fraction of the cost for any other airbox or look on the market). I can do many other parts such as dashes, sparkplug covers, ect... and it is cheaper to do more parts at once due to less material waste.

Example if you wanted your spark plug covers done and rear window garnish done it would be cheaper do do all 3 at once versus spark plug covers one week and the rear window garnish another week. Your savings would be about 20%.

001airbox.jpg

002airbox.jpg

003airbox.jpg

There is a small portion that cannot be covered around the clips but will not be seen once the hose are reinstalled.
004airbox.jpg

There is a small portion that cannot be covered but will not be seen once the intake tube is reinstalled.
005airbox.jpg

Last edited:
nice, very nice. . .

Interesting application of an existing process! :cool:

Is there any surface prep' that's necessary? I only ask this, as there may potentially be a great demand for "refinishing" the OEM/stock center-console & (2) door-trim panels which are prone to chipping/scratching/peeling over the years. Also, it'd be an ideal time for those w/ JDM NSX nav' pods to have the opening surface perimeter & vent trim-area matched to the center-console.

If you can source a near identical surface-finish for those components that's very similar to the OEM/stock surface-finish, that would be great. I believe there are (3) different ones, '91-'01 NSX, '99 NSX Zanardi edition, and '02-'05 NSX.

{I *think* there's a difference between the (3) interior trim pieces of the '91-'01 & '02-'05 models... :confused:}

The aforementioned OEM/stock interior trim pieces have a thin metallic-like foil material over the actual resin/composite pieces. I'm not sure if this surface-finish material needs to be removed for the process being offered in this thread to be fully effective.

Another application for this surface-finish project could be the OEM/stock engine-covers. The original textured surface-finish wears & sloughs off over the years. Also, many NSX owners don't wish to remove nor drastically modify the engine-cover (still keen towards the engine-sound insulation, UV-protection for hoses/plastics, etc'). Would such a surface-treatment process work on the engine-cover (it is resin/plastic under the felt-layer)? Also, would it be immune to engine heat & UV-damage from exposure?

While I'm at it, those w/ the OEM/stock Bose head-unit likely are afflicted eventually w/ worn/discolored buttons (the knobs are replaceable via Acura/Dali/etc'), would a surface-finish as described in this thread work on the preset buttons & (2) flat/silk-screen knob surfaces?

Look fwd to your insights & more info, g'luck w/ this endeavor!

Last edited:
Wow what's the price for CK on the door switches? Also can you do blue carbon Kevlar ?

Re: nice, very nice. . .

Q: Is there any surface prep' that's necessary? I only ask this, as there may potentially be a great demand for "refinishing" the OEM/stock center-console & (2) door-trim panels which are prone to chipping/scratching/peeling over the years. Also, it'd be an ideal time for those w/ JDM NSX nav' pods to have the opening surface perimeter & vent trim-area matched to the center-console.

A: There is some surface prep. Buffing ect to get a smooth and clean surface.

Q: If you can source a near identical surface-finish for those components that's very similar to the OEM/stock surface-finish, that would be great. I believe there are (3) different ones, '91-'01 NSX, '99 NSX Zanardi edition, and '02-'05 NSX.

{I *think* there's a difference between the (3) interior trim pieces of the '91-'01 & '02-'05 models... :confused:}

The aforementioned OEM/stock interior trim pieces have a thin metallic-like foil material over the actual resin/composite pieces. I'm not sure if this surface-finish material needs to be removed for the process being offered in this thread to be fully effective.

A: I think this should be possible. I'll check with one of my techs to see if the surface needs to be refinished such as removing it down to bare plastic (such as removing the top finish to the resin that you mentioned.) If the current OEM finishe has not failed yet I think that you may be able to top coat over it but i will check for sure).

Q: Another application for this surface-finish project could be the OEM/stock engine-covers. The original textured surface-finish wears & sloughs off over the years. Also, many NSX owners don't wish to remove nor drastically modify the engine-cover (still keen towards the engine-sound insulation, UV-protection for hoses/plastics, etc'). Would such a surface-treatment process work on the engine-cover (it is resin/plastic under the felt-layer)? Also, would it be immune to engine heat & UV-damage from exposure?

A: Yes, if you are talking about the Spark Plug covers? If you're asking about the large lid over the engine it would be possible but the flocking would need to be removed to be clean and smoth and the hardware would need to be removed prior to coating. As for the heat and UV damage. It should be immune as some of our main client are firearm manufactures. I can't say their name but there are a few hundred AR-15's being done all the time.

Q: While I'm at it, those w/ the OEM/stock Bose head-unit likely are afflicted eventually w/ worn/discolored buttons (the knobs are replaceable via Acura/Dali/etc'), would a surface-finish as described in this thread work on the preset buttons & (2) flat/silk-screen knob surfaces?

A: Most of the work being done is patterend. We can do mate finishes also but it would be more of a spray coating versus a dipped process as shown above.

Last edited:
how does it handle heat??

UV and Heat will be fine. These coatings are being used on assult rifles and hunting rifles so heat should be no problem. I'll review the specifications on max heat ratings. Currently this application is done on many cars on todays road vehicals for our clients can't name the manufactures but here's a clue. FxxD, Subxxx, Ect. UV has not been an issue over the past years.

Last edited:
Wow what's the price for CK on the door switches? Also can you do blue carbon Kevlar ?

Can you explain more on door switches? you talking about the actual switch or the bezel around the switches on the door? I can give you a quote once i know how much surface is being done.

If you can give me a color code of your NSX if that's the blue you want I can give you a few samples of blue kevlar/carbon. From the airbox image above the way the coating works is the base coat is black and there is a silver pattern on top of the base coat giving it the carbon look. The yellow kevlar above is actually a yellow base coat with the silver pattern from the carbon look air box i have shown above. We also have a black pattern that if you applied over a yellow base coat it would look like carbon/kevlar or if applied over a blue base coat then it would look like blue kevlar with a black carbon weave (similar to image below).

1452_613_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
Can you explain more on door switches? you talking about the actual switch or the bezel around the switches on the door? I can give you a quote once i know how much surface is being done.

If you can give me a color code of your NSX if that's the blue you want I can give you a few samples of blue kevlar/carbon. From the airbox image above the way the coating works is the base coat is black and there is a silver pattern on top of the base coat giving it the carbon look. The yellow kevlar above is actually a yellow base coat with the silver pattern from the carbon look air box i have shown above. We also have a black pattern that if you applied over a yellow base coat it would look like carbon/kevlar or if applied over a blue base coat then it would look like blue kevlar with a black carbon weave (similar to image below).

1452_613_thumb.jpg

Yes I was referring to the bezel around the switches. Also the color your showing is exactly what I'm looking for the blue kevlar. My color code is B510p Long Beach blue pearl. Thanks

Yes I was referring to the bezel around the switches. Also the color your showing is exactly what I'm looking for the blue kevlar. My color code is B510p Long Beach blue pearl. Thanks

I will also be making you a sample of 100% real blue carbon kevlar overlay too so you can compare the two. If you want that option versus the faux look. Cost will be more for the expense of carbon kevlar.

I will also be making you a sample of 100% real blue carbon kevlar overlay too so you can compare the two. If you want that option versus the faux look. Cost will be more for the expense of carbon kevlar.

Sounds great. Do you think they would match so I could do overlay on the door bezels and then do the real thing on the center console?

If your doing a faux door and real center. The cost savings would be minimal. Your saving money using the faux look by not using carbon Kevlar. If you do use carbon Kevlar for the center you might as well do all of it in carbon kevlar as the waste material could probally cover both door pieces.

Ok. Let me know a cost for both when calculated. Thanks!

Any updates?

CarbonSamples.jpg

Any updates?

I'm still waiting on clear coating the real Kevlar in blue. I'm also waiting for a reverse pattern that has less silver and only black and the color of your choice.

Currenly, I'm refinishing the gauge bezel, injector covers, plug covers, and alternator pieces.

I'm still waiting on clear coating the real Kevlar in blue. I'm also waiting for a reverse pattern that has less silver and only black and the color of your choice.

Currenly, I'm refinishing the gauge bezel, injector covers, plug covers, and alternator pieces.

The silver looks kinda cool and would match the silver in the car.

Wow cool idea Demi! I don't recall anyone ever mentioning to do those before:eek:

Wow cool idea Demi! I don't recall anyone ever mentioning to do those before:eek:

I'm planning on re-doing the leather on my seats so I will need to do something about the color of mine. I may have to try wrapping them myself if there's no other solution.

I'm planning on re-doing the leather on my seats so I will need to do something about the color of mine. I may have to try wrapping them myself if there's no other solution.

This is not a hard quote but i think about $45-55. If you could give me the dimensions that will make it easier as the cost is based on SQFT material cost. I'll let you know once i get the Gauge Bezel, Spark Plug Covers, Injector Covers, and alternator pieces back sometime this week.

Thanks,
Joseph

The silver looks kinda cool and would match the silver in the car.

BTW the red, blue, and yellow are not Factory NSX colors. Just what was on the shelf. Waiting on a better pattern to be sent for a true carbon kevlar like the real swatch i posted above.

This is not a hard quote but i think about $45-55. If you could give me the dimensions that will make it easier as the cost is based on SQFT material cost. I'll let you know once i get the Gauge Bezel, Spark Plug Covers, Injector Covers, and alternator pieces back sometime this week.

Thanks,
Joseph

Sounds good..keep us posted!
thumbsup1.gif

Measurements: 8" L x 4" W

Last edited:
BTW the red, blue, and yellow are not Factory NSX colors. Just what was on the shelf. Waiting on a better pattern to be sent for a true carbon kevlar like the real swatch i posted above.

Great I'm in no rush ,but still can't wait ..lol My main concern is after buying a yellow/gold CK center console is fit. Because of that I'm leaning more towards what your overlay product will look like.

Great I'm in no rush ,but still can't wait ..lol My main concern is after buying a yellow/gold CK center console is fit. Because of that I'm leaning more towards what your overlay product will look like.

I agree the oem fitment is the best and a thin overlay does not affect the fitment at all, at least it did not on my interior parts I wrapped on my car.

Back