• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Caught up on High-Mileage Maintenance

Peace of mind for many more years!

I had the back end up on jack stands for about three weeks, while I took my time and caught up on some scheduled love for my car. At 112k for my 94, I replaced with new OEM parts:

• Timing belt
  • Water pump
  • Thermostat
  • Coolant hoses (all 23)
  • Fuel filter
  • Spark plugs
  • Alternator belt
  • A/C belt
  • Valve cover gaskets
  • Lower timing cover
  • Oil / filter and the figure "8" gasket on the oil cooler
  • Honda Coolant (obviously didn't re-use the old stuff!)
  • Oil pan gasket (actually did this a few thousand miles ago)
I also took the opportunity to clean up a bit on the engine and suspension bits, clearing away old gunked-up mud and oil. I must say, even though I took my time and followed the shop manual, I was paranoid when I fired up the engine for the first time. Didn't want to find out the hard way that I had messed up my timing. Thankfully it all worked out, and it purred like a kitten on the first attempt. Didn't even have to charge the battery!

It was such a relief to get it all done, and not damage any parts, didn't have any mystery parts leftover, no leaks whatsoever. I even ordered a couple of new bolts that I discovered were missing when I was working on it. The coolant hoses were not that tough, I just took my time and carefully cut them off with a razor blade. The tip (I think Larry's tip) to use a bit of silicone grease when installing the new ones helped out big time. All in all, a successful venture and I saved a lot of money doing it myself. Peace of mind for the next 6 years at least!

Last edited:
Congratulations, I am pleased to see the pictures because I will do the same in one month, I also replaced a lot of probes and sensors (my NSX has 168000 km), speed sensor, water temperature, pressure oil, thermostat, all joints and all hoses, oil pan (damaged), crankshaft pulley, all belts and valve adjustment, I also replaced my suspension (Koni / Tein) and anti-roll bars, many work but then life will be good for 7 years:smile:

Sorry to disappoint. The pictures are not that good. I was more focused on doing the work than taking photos :redface:

IMG_0596.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

I couldn't tell by looking at the old thermostat that it was stuck open or anything, but with the new thermostat the car warms up a lot faster :biggrin:

I couldn't tell by looking at the old thermostat that it was stuck open or anything, but with the new thermostat the car warms up a lot faster :biggrin:

Yup! I had the thermostat fail on mine - the rubber o-ring mushroomed off of the moving plate. Its a common failure. I replaced it with a non-Honda thermostat for increased reliability and have had quick warm-ups ever since.

One question. I see you removed the rear hatch air intake. Unless I missed that, I didn't see that as a step in the manual. Did it result in any better clearance when removing & reinstalling the rear valve cover?

Yup! I had the thermostat fail on mine - the rubber o-ring mushroomed off of the moving plate. Its a common failure. I replaced it with a non-Honda thermostat for increased reliability and have had quick warm-ups ever since.

One question. I see you removed the rear hatch air intake. Unless I missed that, I didn't see that as a step in the manual. Did it result in any better clearance when removing & reinstalling the rear valve cover?

Removing the vent piece may not have given me any more clearance with the rear valve cover, but it seemed to give me a bit more room for my arms and hands to work around. It probably wasn't necessary but it was easy to do and it did seem to open up the area a bit more.

Congratulations on your good work, you have not had much difficulty to replace the belt / tensioner / water pump without removing the engine of the car? space is rather small for the hands, one more question, you have not replaced the crankshaft damper pulley? thank you for your pictures:smile:

Last edited:
Congratulations on your good work, you have not had much difficulty to replace the belt / tensioner / water pump without removing the engine of the car? space is rather small for the hands, one more question, you have not replaced the crankshaft damper pulley? thank you for your pictures:smile:

I actually did not encounter much problem with replacing the parts, even though it does get a little tight against the wall near the rear. But it is only about 2 bolts or so that are a little hard to get to because of how close the engine is to the wall. All it takes is a little patience. Truthfully, the hardest part for me to re-install was the rear timing belt cover. I had a hard time getting it back in place once the new belt was installed, but eventually I figured it out, and it took a little bit of bending to get it in place. Also, I think it helps that I have small hands :)

No I did not replace the crankshaft pulley. Call me cheap, but I did not want to spend the money. I did however install the pulley shield just in case it fails.

Very good idea, I already bought the new crankshaft pulley and I also purchased the protection of SOS, and I am more reassured:smile:

For the record, 112k miles is not high. I would say, broken in instead. :biggrin:

Also, I did not see cam plugs on your list. You were so close to them but didn't change them. I hope they last 10 more years for you.

Looking at all those hoses made my hands hurt all over again. I know the feeling of not having to do that crap again for another 10 (I'm lazy) years.

Great job!!

Back