• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CEL is on in my 91'

i don't remember much resistance when pulling the coils out. i put the car back together for a cars and coffee event this morning.

i did clean up the K&N filter and intake tube yesterday also, and noticed the throttle body was dirty but i can't seem to find any pics of your TB write up, that you did years ago.

Last edited:
I've nothing to offer as far as help with your problems but it's encouraging to see you sticking to the problem.
No whining, doing homework, asking solid questions, listening to good advice, going step by step to get to the bottom of it.
You'll become a knowledgeable owner in no time and able to help others down the line.
Good stuff.

I've nothing to offer as far as help with your problems but it's encouraging to see you sticking to the problem.
No whining, doing homework, asking solid questions, listening to good advice, going step by step to get to the bottom of it.
You'll become a knowledgeable owner in no time and able to help others down the line.
Good stuff.

+1 encouraging and useful comments are much more productive than innuendos one. Keep up the good work!

Good stuff.

+1 encouraging and useful comments are much more productive than innuendos one. Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much, i very much plan on being a helpful online member, i'm new to NSX's but not to cars!

a little update on my situation. i replaced the worse looking of the 3 rear coils, with no affect in the hesistaion i am getting, but i did pull the jumped fuel pump resister i had installed and i haven't gotten the CEL back on, which is good and strange at the same time, because my stuttering hasn't changed.

after that didn't work, this weekend, i removed the Throttle Body and cleaned it up. it did not help my problem either, and my idle is actually rougher now. i will look into adjusting it.

this is a really strange problem that is bugging me. i guess i will just order 2 more coils, so all the rear coil packs are new. i just hate playing parts darts.

i did read another members thread of having the same problem. after emailing him, it was resolved with new CPS sensor??? i will start researching this next, just figured i would post my results.

I think you mean TPS, throttle position sensor:)

I am not sure if we even have a crank position sensor, but i didn't end up researching it yet, he did say cps though in his message.

but on a different note, i ordered 2 more coils that day and installed them this morning. the hesitation went away! car feels great! thanks for every ones help!

Last edited:
Ok so i am back at trying to figure this issue out. i've tried a few things already this season, swapped out the ecu, i've replaced the K&N open filter with a stock style airbox setup, and also removed the oem cats and repalced them with test pipes. hesitation still occurs after warming up... its driving me nuts to the point the car is not enjoyable, when driving at low speeds. i need to figure this out... :(

i have a new fuel pump sitting here that i bought on ebay for $150, i was just hoping to confirm it was the pump before replacing it. i really appreciate your input, i read your entire thread. its pushing me to install the new pump. to bad i just filled the tank today...

Update: i installed a new main relay and the old Dali chipped ecu, ran great for 30 min then it started all over again. seems like this poblem occurs when the car is warmed up.

Update: i installed a new main relay and the old Dali chipped ecu, ran great for 30 min then oit started all over again. seems like this poblem occurs when the car is warmed up.
This may be a stupid check but have you checked your battery terminal connectors? Mine used to warm up, expand, then not clamp tightly and cause all kinds of weird things. Worth a quick check.

Update: i installed a new main relay and the old Dali chipped ecu, ran great for 30 min then it started all over again. seems like this poblem occurs when the car is warmed up.

I wish I could pinpoint the problem for you.
You've been putting a lot of work into your problem.
Tenacity will find the solution so don't give up.

I've been reading the shop manual on Fuel and Emissions.
I didn't realize there was so much information on troubleshooting and testing in this section.
For example I didn't know the ECU has a back-up circuit to allow you to drive the car home in the event of some sensor failures

Starting on page 11-16 there are examples of poor running conditions and the factories suggested plan of attack.
Following that is a step by step diagnostic procedure that covers every element of the fuel and ignition system.
Have you had a chance to review this section to see if it might help?

are you still getting a CEL, or are we now just dealing with hesitation at warm-up?

Have you tried replacing the O2 sensor, since this was the initial problem/trouble code??

thanks for the input everyone, i really appreciate it!

today i decided to look into the TCS light that came on after the problem started. code 3- 6. which is the TPS. so i checked it with my ohm meter and i couldn't get a reading, it was kinda of tricky to do so in the tight area. so i decided to disconnect the TPS plug to confirm or deny that it was working. what you know, the car has never driven so good! i swear it feels like it has 60hp more, and it does not sputter or hesitate, its a little sluggish down low but nothing compared to what it was before, almost not noticeable. what is going on here??? Ive never enjoyed the car so much as i just did for the last 2 hours. can't wait for someone to chime in here....

Turbophein,
I'm going thru the same situation with my 91 but have zero lights/codes, so no where to start the trouble shooting process. I am considering having SOS perform the 5mm overbore w/TPS recalibrate service. I haven't tried disconnecting the TPS plug. Will do tonight and let you know if I get similar results.
John

I have also got code 2 for the rear o2 sensor, ive already done everything discussed in this thread and then some. No hesitation (until after the CEL is thrown). Last thing I did was an ECU reset. The lamp hasn't come back on yet, but i've put less than 100 miles on it, so I will find out later.

Please keep us posted on your progress, as this seems to affect a handful of NSX owners.

I ran yesterday with the TSP plug disconnected. Only differences were CEL and TCS illuminated. I'm hopeful a new TPS will fix.

i've had no luck sorting out the problem but i have been absolutely loving my car! Its a blast to drive with the TPS disconnected and it pulls very nice now. hoping larry can chime in, or maybe start a new thread with the TPS miracle i have gotten lol....

a little crude but i'm going to do a little test now. going to plug the tps back in, warm up the car, and get the problem going again. Then i am going to tape my cell phone to the back window for a short ride to video and check my fuel pressure gauge while under load. i can't find any of my go pro attachments. this will rule out any fuel issue.

- - - Updated - - -

ok so fuel pressure was good. dipping to 39psi the lowest in between shifts and on decel, holding 41-50 psi. here is the video i just made. fuel shouldn't be the issue.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LGX8hebwe2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back