• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ceramic brake dilemma

doesn't Billy (stuntman) have a whole thread devoted to 18 inch front wheels because he feels that all performance tires in 17 inch are going away and there are many more choices in 18 inch????:confused:

Yeah I saw that last night doc and posted on it. Unfortunately a thread is not a solution, we all wish for certain things and I certainly value Billy's thread and input... But it sound like it will be near impossible to fit a 225/40/18 on the front. At least not without jacking the car up sky high.

Dave, what else can you really do??? Upgrade the size of the wheels and tires or sell the BBK. You asking Prime member what should you do? LOL:confused:

I thought you was the Mr. Know It All?! :tongue:

Damn Dave,

Sounds like it is time to go wide body. The DF Fenders are only what...6mm'ish wider? That size tire should be able to fit, but you would have to raise it up like you said. If you go wide body, you can play on. It looks like the Kite Garage is the cheapest, but looks stock...I know you are somewhat of a purist! LOL :)

I think it is time to sell the brakes, or as everyone else said...go wide body!!

Front Fenders are 20mm wider with the quarters being 25mm and like me said.....looks stock!

http://homepage3.nifty.com/garage-kite/part.earo.htm#%83%8F%83C%83h%83t%83%8D%83%93%83g%83t%83F%83%93%83_%81[

Last edited:
Damn Dave,

Sounds like it is time to go wide body. The DF Fenders are only what...6mm'ish wider? That size tire should be able to fit, but you would have to raise it up like you said. If you go wide body, you can play on. It looks like the Kite Garage is the cheapest, but looks stock...I know you are somewhat of a purist! LOL :)

I think it is time to sell the brakes, or as everyone else said...go wide body!!

Front Fenders are 20mm wider with the quarters being 25mm and like me said.....looks stock!

http://homepage3.nifty.com/garage-kite/part.earo.htm#%83%8F%83C%83h%83t%83%8D%83%93%83g%83t%83F%83%93%83_%81[

Ummm... Sounds a bit drastic and heavy, countering my goals of light weight. But anyway... Where is the wide body? Is that white one a wide body? Looks stock!

- - - Updated - - -

Dave, what else can you really do??? Upgrade the size of the wheels and tires or sell the BBK. You asking Prime member what should you do? LOL:confused:

I thought you was the Mr. Know It All?! :tongue:

I Have fully strayed away from 18/19 tire talk because I had no interest because of the track. So my knowledge was lacking. I was asking in this thread.

This is it

Front Fender
DSCF41331-1.jpg

Quarter Panel
DSCF4113.jpg

Side Scoop (If you like the look of an NSX-R GT)
DSCF4139.jpg

Side Skirt
DSCF8116.jpg

Dave, I'm the 18/19 king so just send those bad boys my way :D

Problem solved! Shitty either way, hopefully you can find a 17/18 setup with more clearance or a work around. 18/19 are not track oriented with available proper fitting tire sizes!

I wonder how much room there is under the stock fender liner. I've never really paid to much attention to it when mine were off of how much room if any there is on the top, and in the front/sides. I know many have trimmed their fender liner, or cut and even trimmed the front ducts.

I wonder because you could have a kevlar liner produced for stock applications with deeper pockets to run tires, make that out of some flexible epoxy and you have a win situation.

Luckily my fenders were just taken off the car to be replaced with downforce ones. There looks to be about 1-1.5" before you will hit the headlight bucket frames. I think you can actually cut these without any harm if you have 02 lights because there is nothing but a deep pocket to hold the flip ups back there. You'd still have to run a wide fender though to make this worth it and keep an eye on the back side as well. This pic is a 215/35/18 and I think you could get away with 1" larger OD if you were willing to cut the headlight frame and run wide fenders. Also, the DF wide fenders say they are only 5mm wider but they look more like 10-15mm in person. The Conposite parts are definitely heavier than the aluminum, which feel like they are made of air. But I mean like 4lbs vs maybe 6lbs. Here are some photos.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400533850.071509.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400533864.920839.jpg
beny6ure.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400533929.654238.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400533910.323250.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400533910.323250.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Nero you're giving me hope. How hard is it to remove a fender? I'm not buyond cutting a useless headlamp housing that doesn't even matter on an 02. I already used that giant pocket to mount my shock canisters

0e5b7ea29a2e8e5ec66157e89d52d988_zpsccfff59d.jpg

Man if I can do 225/40/18 the possibilities would be endless with tires.

Those downforce fenders do look much wider! Awesome photo

Love that canister placement, so clean! If you look at my second pic you can see the fender liner with the fan piece is torn away/missing and you can see the back side of the headlight bucket. I tried to take the pic dead on to minimize the perspective as these photos were specifically for this purpose. Wish I had a measuring tape with me so I could have included it but I can get that number if you need it (roughly 1.5"). Just take a look around in your fender liner and start with an inch bigger to see if you think you can get away with it. Turn the wheel all the way too as that's when it will hit the headlight bucket. Check back with Chris to see what exactly that size tire hits too, it may hit on the backside when you turn the wheel the other way and he may know.

There is a little perspective on that pic of the df fenders but I tried to set them up at the same angle. Here is another from the front. It's definitely wider than 5mm which is the same I've seen on CarolineNSX's car in person when comparing it to mine. I'd venture it's as much as 15mm wider.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400535413.702217.jpg

Despite this potential solution I think in your case you should find a way to make it work with 17/18 wheels rather than run 18/18 or 18/19. 18/18 would be the best for performance in your scenario because you get the minimum sizes wheel that will fit your brakes in front and rear, and since your wheels are black they will disappear visually and not have the same visual illusion problem of the typical 18/18. But you will still have a heavier wheel in front than you had before, but it won't be on your drive wheels so acceleration won't suffer and you'll get the benefit of wider rubber in front which will improve the handling.

EDIT:
I got the wrong downforce fenders, these are the wider version so that's why they look much wider than stock. Sorry for the confusion, I wanted to post this to clear that up.

Last edited:
How hard is it to pull off the fender? I may have a project for the weekend.

I think you just have to take off the front bumper first and maybe the hood, the doors I think you just open . I could not find the page in the service manual anywhere in the body section on how to do it though so I'm not sure. I am just going by where the mounting locations are on the fender. Body shop did it in a few hours after the bumper was off so it can't be that hard.

You can get the fender off by leaving the front bumper on... Side skirt has to come off, fender liner off, there are bolts on the top (underhood area), inside the front bumper facing forward, under the side skirt, and one in the door area as well. It's not a Major project, but takes a bit of time. Make sure you mark where it was for when you put back on, fitment can be tricky to get the gaps back to perfect.

Ok got it. Thanks Chris.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I just ordered fenders from downforce. I'm sure no matter what I will need these. This NSX will have cost me $200,000 soon. Ughhh....

I might get flamed for asking this but I am just throwing ideas out there. Are there any race tire companies or tire companies based in the US that could do a run of "custom" compound tires on existing sizes? Am I the only one that thinks it's odd we can get special ceramic brakes and superchargers, but can't get custom tires? :confused:

Dave: Group buy on R-compound in 18/19 NSX sizing.

You might not want to wait but FXMD is making a wider OEM-appearance flared fender kit for this exact problem and that will clear the 18/19 larger tire sizes. This would be your solution if you're willing to wait.

I went with an 18x8.5 +51 RSii. It should clear yours radially and then space it as necessary for spoke clearance. With some front camber you might be able to make it fit under the DF fender with some shaving of the outer fender lip.

Last edited:
You might not want to wait but FXMD is making a wider OEM-appearance flared fender kit for this exact problem and that will clear the 18/19 larger tire sizes. This would be your solution if you're willing to wait.

I went with an 18x8.5 +51 RSii. It should clear yours radially and then space it as necessary for spoke clearance. With some front camber you might be able to make it fit under the DF fender with some shaving of the outer fender lip.

Billy some questions:

1) any idea on how long? I am without a functional car right now.

2) is this fender giving MORE clearance than the downforce? If so, where? Is it just width or it is also more height.

3) what is the full setup you are planning? 18x8.5 RSII sounds quite like a wide wheel are you planning on the 225/40/18 and trying to stretch?

4) what is your plan for the rear?

1 - too long for what you need. Couple months probably.

2 - DF truly is only a 6-7mm wider than stock. The FX one is shooting for 15mm

3 - 18x8.5 +51 spaced for the spokes to clear the caliper (+40 offset has less spoke clearance than +51 with a 11mm spacer) to stretch the tire so the sidewall is not vertical

4 - 19x10 275/35-19 +35 -fit under stock body no problem but spaced 15mm for the FXMD wide fender flare (I dont want to call it a 'widebody')

Last edited:
Thomas said the downforce is 10mm. You didn't tell me what you plan up front. Am I correct in the 225/40? Will that stretch not have enough adverse effects? I will need to swap my wheels and I really like my RSII. So I need your guidance a bit here on what to upgrade to. I'm having a hard time wondering why +40 has less clearance than +51 with 11mm spacer... What are your calipers?

He told me it was ~7mm and its advertised as 6.25mm on SOS's website. After extensive talks with RYU, the numbers are averaging out to ~7mm wider than stock.

To many people's disagreement, I'm trying 225/40-18 and 275/35-19, which will work with TCS. The 225 on a 8.5 is still well within my personal tire-wheel ratio range. I'm thinking a 8" might be a better choice but I think an 8.5 will give slightly more clearance to be conservative for me when i'm going this route.

I too am going with RSiis and a +51 with an 11mm spacer gives you more caliper-spoke clearance than a +40 because the spokes on the +40 curve in to give a more concave look at the expense of caliper clearance.

I'm running the huge PFC forged monobloc multi-pad caliper (same architecture as Super GT NSX) and it's probably wider than your WP. Going with the +51 and spacing as necessary will be more conservative and help to keep the tire under your DF fender.

Who cares about TCS? Especially you, why would you care? I know we are rehashing some stuff that could just as well be on your other wheel thread but what made you decide 18/19 over 18/18? Looks? I really hate spacers. Especially after my last experience with them freezing on my hats and me having to torch them off. PITA. Maybe I should wait. I'd hate to do this fender thing twice.

A lot of people care about TCS. No, not me, but it can affect ABS too.

18/19 for looks and for proper F-R diameters for ABS.

What brand spacers were you using? You need to use high quality properly engineered spacers. I've had good ones on my BMW for 30,000 miles with no problem. We also run huge ones on the FXMD car.

Without a ton of work, or trying the exact wheel on before you buy it, spacers would probably be the way to go.

Back