• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ceramic coated headers

Would inconel be a metal the aerospace industry uses? Just asking. ;)

FWIW, most big header manufacturers offer ceramic coating for their headers and many offer multiple types as well. And as the previous poster has noted, it's trickled down to the NSX community too.

Found this article on the topic of inconel(http://files.aws.org/wj/2006/12/wj200612/wj1206-24.pdf) for headers, man you have good insight and just finished an hour long conversation with my engine builder, seems he has know about this for a few years and was suprised I didn't know! Well no excuse but my head hasn't back into cars at this level until this year when we (family)decided it was time for Daddy to start up his hobby again, I have been doing a more important job (Daddy) which I've never done before, so after a six year hiatus. I'm back and getting bench racing help from my new found comarades in the nsx forum.:biggrin:

Last edited:
I can only imagine if it really make a big different, or any difference at all, the manufactures of the headers would have made it an option and make some extra bucks.

Good point, but I imagine that if Honda put heat shields on the OEM exhaust, they must be there for a reason. No one sees them and they cost money, so if they were worthless, I doubt Honda would have installed them in the first place and thereby reduced their profit margin.

I also added thermal material on the top of my top speed headers under the oil sump, to reduce heating up the engine oil sump. The headers are ceramic coated (inside and out), but they still radiate a lot of heat under the oil pan.

I was advised *not* to wrap completely around any headers, as this leads to header metal failure over time (due to excessive heat retained in metal, not moisture). Hence my thermal material is only between headers and oil pan area, held to headers with tie wire.

I did the same thing for the same reason.

I read the following: ceramic coating the inside of the header reduces heat transfer from the exhaust gasses into the metal and ceramic coating the outside of the header reduces heat radiation to the CV joints, oil pan, etc. Only wrapping the header on the outside reduces heat radiation to other components but the pipes inside will get hotter than they otherwise would have. That can lead to reduced header life and the hose clamps used to fasten the ends of the wrap can cause stresses on the header since they heat up and therefore expand less than the pipes beneath the wrap.

And since I read all that in the internet, it must be true! In any case, that was my reasoning to have my headers ceramic coated inside and out and to clamp the additional oil pan heat shield to the front header only very loosely.

Just a thought: Would it make sense to coat OEM headers in- and outside to get wrid of the heat shields?

Another question: Is it possible/wise to coat a used header?

for those of us that like wrapping the headers, here are few ideas that i found work decently:
-wet the wrap prior to wrapping as it will shrink and prevent sagging/loosening
-do not use clamps but safety wire

Just a thought: Would it make sense to coat OEM headers in- and outside to get wrid of the heat shields?

Another question: Is it possible/wise to coat a used header?

as long as the item is chemically cleaned, you can coat anything you like.

whats the best place to have headers ceramic coated? I was looking at Jethot's prices..... not too bad.

Back