• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

"Certified Used" - Worth it ?

Looking at an NSX whose factory warranty expires next June ('07) the (Acura) dealer tells me it is NOT a "certified used" Acura. Huh ?

He goes on to tell me it's another $2,400 to "certify" it.

"OK, so what does the certification get me ?"

"5 years, 62K miles bumper to bumper and 7 years 100K miles engine and drivetrain......."

"OK, so that means, for my $2,400, at the end of the manufacturer's warrant I get an additional 1 year/12K miles bumper-to-bumper and an additional 3 years, 50K miles engine and drivetrain, right ?"

Yup !

Worth it ??? :redface:

NSX-GUY said:
Looking at an NSX whose factory warranty expires next June ('07) the (Acura) dealer tells me it is NOT a "certified used" Acura. Huh ?

He goes on to tell me it's another $2,400 to "certify" it.

"OK, so what does the certification get me ?"

"5 years, 62K miles bumper to bumper and 7 years 100K miles engine and drivetrain......."

"OK, so that means, for my $2,400, at the end of the manufacturer's warrant I get an additional 1 year/12K miles bumper-to-bumper and an additional 3 years, 50K miles engine and drivetrain, right ?"

Yup !

The dealer's cost is not $2400, that's retail price.

NSX-GUY said:
Any idea what the dealer's "cost" is ? (to Acura ?) :rolleyes: :wink:

$995 for the warranty portion and the cost to "certify" the car depends on the shape the car is in. It might need tires, brakes, next scheduled service needs to be done, and who knows what else?:wink:

Save your cash, your gonna need it for the supercharger:biggrin:

NSX-GUY said:
Well, those are the terms of the certification. Just as you described it.

If you don't want the certification, then don't get it and you won't have to pay for it. It's nice that you have the option and can go either way.

It's also nice that the car comes with a portion of the original warranty, so if there are any problems with it at the time you buy it, you're covered.

It is worth the money!!! There are many cheap fixes for the NSX, but if you're speaker pops, it will be nice to have dealer put in a brand new set!!!

If you can get the Certification for around $1000 bucks, that is not much considering the car you're looking at is going for more than 50K.

Vancehu said:
There are many cheap fixes for the NSX, but if you're speaker pops, it will be nice to have dealer put in a brand new set!!!
If your speaker pops, Briank can fix it for a whole lot less than the cost of the certification.

Vancehu said:
If you can get the Certification for around $1000 bucks, that is not much
I interpreted The Kid's post above to mean that $995 is what the dealer pays Acura (corporate) for each certified car they sell. (Acura then pays for any covered repairs incurred by the certified car, by reimbursing whatever dealership performs the repairs.) If a dealership must pay $995 to Acura and must incur the labor for the xxx-point inspection (and any parts and labor for repairs) needed for the certification, it's pretty unlikely you would be able to get the car certified by paying only a grand, unless the dealership is really desperate to make the sale (and/or is making a huge profit on it).

Back