• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CF Parts: Carbon Fiber vs. Carbon Glass

Two different materials and a high-level explanation probably won't be needed here.

Carbon is carbon. Glass is glass (silica) Carbon fiber is a weave of long strands of relatively pure carbon.

Carbon glass or carbon/glass is a hybrid mix of carbon fiber and glass fiber (fiberglass).

Carbon/glass is less expensive as you might expect. The performance of this hybrid will change in accordance with the percentage and location of the materials. Sometimes the glass is simply used as a center core filler in order to save money. But fiberglass is considerably weaker than CF.

Kevlar is another common material that is co-woven with carbon fiber. It has certain abrasion resistant qualities that is useful - although it's not as "strong" as CF (lower modulus) either.

For low weight and high-strength not much beats CF.

-Jim

Ahhhh, I thought carbon glass was still carbon fiber part... but with a different finish/coating than their more expensive bretheren.

From a visual standpoint, do real carbon fiber parts have a superior appearance?

Some left of Carbon Fiber from the engine cover I'm building :)

f9e03e65.jpg

Sig,

Regarding looks, it depends on what you're after.

Carbon fiber gives you that black woven sheen appearance that many consider cool. If you're going to paint the surface then it doesn't matter.

If you're talking about surface finish and smoothness, that's more a function of the molding process and gelcoat (if any) used.

For example the 04 Z06 hood is a carbon fiber outer shell with a inner support of carbon/glass bonded to the shell. In this case, it's painted, but the hood is lighter than a plain fiberglass sheet molded part.

Syonara,

One trick I use is to spray the CF cloth with just a bit of clear varnish or acrylic (i.e. Krylon from an art store). It helps to hold weave together when you cut it and it doesn't seem to affect the wetting and formability too much.

-Jim

clayne said:
Thought the carbon/kevlar hybrids also had superior thermal capabilities, as well...

Yes, they do. Most Kevlar mixes are used in scuff or very high heat areas, but as Jimbo mentions, they do not have the same structural properties. Is that important for most aftermarket parts, not really:D

Back