• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Changing demographics of NSX owners?

WOW, lot of young guys here (20's), and quite well spoken :smile:

I'm probalby near the oldest in the Prime family at 62 and I've owned my '93 for 13 years. I don't think age is a factor when it come to a person's passion for cars... perhaps just the type and generation of cars that are loved are different, but the NSX is one of the exceptions!

-Wick

38 ownwd for 1.5 yrs
and
btw: this has been discussed a few times already

93, 26 & 2 years. I believe I am the youngest in my area.

I actually went into porsche to buy a C2 Cab, but the dealer wouldn't take me seriously being a young military male. Considered a Z06 but they were like lice on a stray dog, then a Viper but owners told me "Long road trip & Viper" are phrases that don't go together very well. Ferrari 348 but one look at the cheese grater on the rear lights and that was enough. Still wanted something special and happened to come across a pic of a nsx on the web. Sealed the deal, best of all worlds AND reliability. I was sold. I considered alot of different types of vehicles but I had good reason for each to turn those down in the end.

I am 49 and have owned my 97 NSX for almost 1 1/2 years. I'll probably own it for a very long time.

I don't care how old/young the NSX owners are but I admit I dislike the way some younger owners carry themselves here. It is bad to write poorly no matter what car you own. And yes I think it is a shame what some people do to their cars.

I have some ideas why the NSX is attractive to younger buyers:

- the NSX is affordable, especially NA1 cars. Same price range as other interesting but less exotic cars. I think the NSX is a legitimate alternative to a new 350Z or RX8 or similar car. It is a statement that a 10 year old NSX is something people would happily look at as an alternative to a new sports car.
- it is Japanese. I simply believe young car aficionados aren't enamored of German cars like some older buyers. It also isn't a Corvette. Many Corvettes are owned by older people - probably because if the Vette's very long history as an American sports car.
- the NSX is modifiable. Very few people mod Porsches. For such a limited production car there are many add-ons available for the NSX.

Hello,

I'm 58, and will have had my NSX for 2 years this April. It's a red non-modded 92 with about 85k on the clock. Bought it with all the ususal problems fixed and new tires too. The absolute best car I have ever owned.

And, I have owned some cool cars in the past; 6 P-cars, a 59 and a 69 Corvette (the 69 was a 427/390hp) coupla Mustangs and Austin Healeys too. A 68 Saab Sonnett and a Saab 93 2-stroker. A Land Rover and a MB kid-hauler wagon. My first car was a 57 Chevy with a 283 3sp Hurst on the floor. Current daily driver is a Volvo XC; my 3rd Volvo.

The only car I could trade the NSX for would be the 59 Corvette. I bought it in 1970 in North Hollywood for $750.00 cash (but, it needed tires and I put in a new clutch plate too). It's demise was wretched. The left rear wheel bearing gave up at interstate speed in August that same year. The whole rear axel came out of the carrier and went into a ditch. Then the brake hub hit the pavement and the sparks started a small fire from the 90 weight leaking out. I almost hit a guard rail near Sterling, Colorado. After putting out the fire I put my thumb in the air for a ride. The gas station near I-80 had a tow truck and the tow charge almost broke me. Soon, the local gear-heads came out to see the 59 Vette that had erkked up on the interstate. I sold it to one of them for $450.00 and a ride back to Nebraska. Classes stared at UNL the next week and all I had left of the Corvette is this story.

Last edited:
I'm 33 and have had my 94 NSX for 9 months, after searching for 18 months. It's VERY tough to find a NSX which is fully documented, mostly stock, has low mileage, and has had 2 or less owners.

I don't identify with the tuner culture associated with the car, but don't fault those that choose to modify their cars. I've seen some very impressive tuned NSX's and respect the talent it takes to do so.

I would trade my NSX for an R8, but that's about it.

I'm 29 purchased my nsx 2 years ago. wanted one since 1995 but waited until I could pay cash to buy one.

This thread makes me feel better about my generation. I had no idea that there were so many owners here in my age group, let alone so many who really care about and respect their cars.

Nick

Airedale3992 --> Nice Vette story!!

My demographics, to answer the original question:
52, owned 3 NSXs for total of 8 years.

I'm 25 and I just finished law school. The law firm that recruited me said they would throw in any car I wanted as a hiring bonus, so they bought me an '05 NSX-T.

Ok, it's time for a real old guy to chime in. I will be 70 this year and have owned my NSX for 9 years. I've always been a car guy and my '91 was a retirement gift to myself. Regarding all the young NSX enthusiasts on the board, I enjoy reading their contributions and vicariously share their enthusiasm for upgrades, both aesthetic and functional (even though I've kept mine stock). I like making my daily drive to Starbucks and our gym in style and mostly save my pedal-to-the-metal urges for when I autocross my MINI Cooper S. But I do have a dream once in awhile where I send my car to one of the tuners with a check for 20K and urge them to have their way with it. As it says in my sign-off, not all old farts drive too slow!

I guess, the younger and older NSX owners made a smart decision to purchase the 91-95+ NSX. I'm sure they could have easily purchased a brand new car like the 350z and be like everyone else. Instead, chosen a classic rare car with a timeless body and engineering.

I think it's great to have new owners and young owners of the NSX group, because it revives the spirit and gets the new and the older (meaning age group and/or length of ownership) owners out for runs and get togethers.

Just my .02.

Owner since Aug 07.

Member since May 2006
Owner since September 2006
55 When I bught my 95 Red/Tan
I'm the third Owner

I was told by the 2nd Owner (who lived in Bakersfield, owned the car for about a year plus and I guess is between 25-30) that the original owner lived in Saint Luis, MO. was in his early 60's when he bought the car and sold her in his early 70's.

I'm suspect I'll be the last Owner, unless I can afford to buy a newer one up to 2001 (I prefer the pop-up lights and the rectangular looking grill openings).

Last edited:
Tipping the scale the other direction. I'm 54, have owned my 91 almost a year. Couldn't have afforded it when they first came out, but since it's in my price range and I'm not getting any younger.... It's one of those "I always wanted one, couldn't have bought it back then as it wasn't practical with a family, college expenses for the kids came first, etc."

My daily driver's an RSX Type S which isn't a typical car for someone my age, but I don't drive it like an old man either. When it came time to replace the Integra, I just wasn't ready to jump to the TL.

And my other non-practical car is my Miata.

I guess I'm just not ready for a Buick. :biggrin:

I'm 45 and have had the car since July of '06. I have been a automobile enthusiast since I was a kid. I think Hot Wheels had something to do with it.:smile:

Tipping the scale the other direction. I'm 54, have owned my 91 almost a year. Couldn't have afforded it when they first came out, but since it's in my price range and I'm not getting any younger.... It's one of those "I always wanted one, couldn't have bought it back then as it wasn't practical with a family, college expenses for the kids came first, etc."

Same for me.........except I turned 50 just last year.

Interesting how this thread goes.

37 years old, I'm in my 7th year of ownership and I'm the 3rd owner of the car.

And today I felt just like the day I've bought it cause I've driven her the first time after the long winter break (3.5 months).

Soon to be 48, bought the '95 T about a year and a half ago. 16K mi later and still loving every minute behind the wheel!

I couldn't image owning a car like this in my early 20's.... my right foot was way too immature! So hats off to you younger guys who are able to get into one. Of course, now you'll never be satisfied with another car. :biggrin:

Back