• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

changing to 6-spd

I believe both Dali Racing and SOS sell 6-speed trannies. They aren't cheap and realistically you ought to be able to sell your '95 and buy a '97 for close to the purchase & installation of the 6-speed, plus you get the bonus 20 hp.

But on the minus side, for the extra 20 h.p. you have to deal with the extra weight associated with the Targa model, and you have to deal with OBDII if you want to do FI at a later date. The extra 20 h.p. may not be worth it. IMHO the 6 speed, and its gearing, is the main reason why the later model NSX's accelerate faster.

All 95's were NSX-T's, so a '97 would not be a significantly heavier car. In addition to the 20hp, the 1997 got quite a number of upgrades, including bigger brakes and some revisions to the on-board electronics. Good point about the OBD I. That may be important if the intent is to do major engine mods.

I have a six speed in my 91 and I love the car. It was in the car when I bought it due to the snap ring in the 5-speed.

I think the total cost for the previous owner was 8-10k. Also remember the switch to the single plate clutch on your shopping list.

This is one of the best upgrades you can have on an early car.

I had to build my own Reverse LO as well. CT wants $600!

i upgraded my 5spds to 6spds a year ago. i found a decent deal and hard to resist...

honestly, i didnt "notice" a huge difference in performance.

If anything, i noticed more different in light weight flywheel and clutch.. My 6spds came with CT light weight flywheel and new CT clutch.. i do like the "heavier" CT clutch... but light weight flywheel took me a while to get used to it.

The number one reason i "upgraded" it, is because i feel without 6th gear, it is like something is missing... i "felt" an exotic sports car should have the 6th gear.

in short, at least for me.. having 6th gear was for bragging right..

;)

-jjc.

According to Bob Butler's analysis, swapping for a six-speed will improve 1/4 mile acceleration time by 0.11 second.

IMO, not worth the money. You would be much better off selling your car and buying a newer one with the six-speed in it.

Back