• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check Engine Light - does this sound right?

Hi all, hoping to find someone who has been thru this. Car is a '98, seems to run perfect, but the Check Engine Light came on, so took it into the dealer. They "reset the code" and said hopefully it wouldn't come back on (and charged for 1 hr).

The light came right back on, and now they need a full day to find the problem, they need to go thru 5 or 6 solenoids to find the problem.

Does this sound right? I thought the computer produced a code telling exactly why the light was coming on. Any help? thanks in advance.

Normally the "CODE" is very helpfull in trouble shooting. As is always asked, what code are you getting. Take your car to an auto parts store and ask them to retreive the code for you. Most do it for free then let us know.

If I paid an hour of labor, I would expect them to tell me exactly the codes they pulled and why they think they wouldn't come back. They should also be able to explain what the current code they are troubleshooting is. Otherwise, I think I'd find somewhere else. Of course, once you have the code, there's a lot of good help here. :smile:

It is saying it thinks there is a leak in the fuel tank and the fuel tank vapor control system. Normally this could be as simple as a loose fuel cap. Have you had any work done on your car recently? A connection to a sol. valve may be off or a hose may be off, damaged or pinched.

Briank said:
It is saying it thinks there is a leak in the fuel tank and the fuel tank vapor control system. Normally this could be as simple as a loose fuel cap. Have you had any work done on your car recently? A connection to a sol. valve may be off or a hose may be off, damaged or pinched.

Brian, thanks for the input. I've had this car 3 years and not a single thing has ever gone wrong w/ it. First thing I did was check the gas cap, filled it up, re-tightened the cap. The dealer had checked the cap as well.

So, I guess I'm just hoping theres some option besides "a full days labor" to find that solenoid?

Thought I'd bump this one w/ the result. Was told up front it would take "a full day" to check all the solenoids. But the Acura tech suspected it might just be a bad gas cap. Bingo! Slight leak around the seal of the cap. New cap, no more light, and the car is good as new.

So anyone whose computer pulls codes 1456 and 1457, try a new gas cap before digging into any solenoids!

That's so funny. I just got on here and was going to suggest a new cap. Sorry I've been missing for so long.

For future reference, buy an OBDII reader and you can check the codes yourself, they aren't expensive and can be purchased at almost any auto parts store. Then give us the code and we'll send you on a pretty accurate path to the problem, and if we only have ideas about the problems, you can reset it yourself and see if it comes back, or at least know where the mechanic should be looking to repair the problem.

Glad the car is back to 100 percent!

OK, I spoke too soon, the light came right back on AGAIN. The next step according to the dealer is the "smoke test", where they pump smoke all thru the fuel system and try to find a leak.

This is becoming positively Ferrari-like (and not in the good way!) :rolleyes:

I had a check engine light problem recently. I got error codes 1456 and 1410. I brought the car to the dealer (my car is under warranty). The service advisor told me that I need a new air pump. I had to wait a week for the air pump. Not sure if this helps you but this was my experience.

good luck
Norman

My light came on recently and it turned out to be the o2 sensor going bad....I don't know if this helps, I just wanted to offer a suggestion. Good luck

Help - Code 1456EVAP Leak - known dealer recall issue

Light was coming on on my '03. Check engine light illuminated. Diagnosis above. Sunnyside replaced the Fuel Filler Pipe and Fuel Filler cap Kit "recall" part number 17660-SZ3-A50.

You might try reminding the dealership this is a know recall issue and it should be covered free of charge. Tech told me it took over 2 hours to do; Acura allows an hour (?)

It is also an issue with the Honda RidgeLine:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=131130#post131130

Honda must have some bad protoplasm in the system...

Best,
Ivanj
PS
Two days after they changed out the kit, I filled up the car, CAREFULLY tightened the cap with multiple clicks, an the F'ing check engine light comes on again. Could it be a different problem????

Final chapter (I hope): the light went back out for no apparent reason, and here's hoping it doesn't come back. What an odd thing that was.....

<i>You might try reminding the dealership this is a know recall issue and it should be covered free of charge.</i>

Really? Well too late now, but if it comes on again I will look into this. Thanks.

Mine came back on after 1 month. I am bringing my car to the dealer AGAIN ! this sucks !

They replaced the air pump last month, could it be something stupid like the gas cap ?

Back