• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check engine light on- mechanic says code is problem with vtec?

I have a 96 nsx that has been sitting for a long time because of a title dispute. I have the car covered and i have it started and driven around my condo complex monthly to keep it charged and we go to the gas station once every 2-3 months and put some fresh gas and stabilizer in it and drive it late at night on the interstate for a little while.
I have been injured for almost 2 years and i cannot get in the car driver's seat due to a crushed right heel and ankle so a friend of mine helps me by doing the driving. The other day when he started it and drove it down the street the "check engine" light came on and i had a mechanic friend come by and check the code and he said it was something like " check the VTEC SOLENOID VALVE". Has anyone else ever had this happen and what was the problem and what all did it involve as far as fixing it (parts,labor, cost)?
I would appreciate any help as i am unable to get around and physically will not be able to drive( if you want to call it that) the car for another 9- 12 months.
Besides that, i will have paid off the car in 7 more payments and the guy that sold me the car still hasn't sent me the title since june of 2007 so i cannot register the car and enjoy the car that i bought 4.5 years ago and have made 53 of 60 payments of $499.66 a month and insurance of $174.21 a month.plus i put $8000 down and paid $1600 to ship it. The grand total for my misery is $50,031.60 and counting! And i am sure it is depreciating quite a bit, especially now that a new one is coming out!
So does anyone know what a "check vtec" code amounts to when the check engine light comes on? Thanks so very much?

Last edited:
I have a 96 nsx that has been sitting for a long time because of a title dispute. I have the car covered and i have it started and driven around my condo complex monthly to keep it charged and we go to the gas station once every 2-3 months and put some fresh gas and stabilizer in it and drive it late at night on the interstate for a little while.
I have been injured for almost 2 years and i cannot get in the car driver's seat due to a crushed right heel and ankle so a friend of mine helps me by doing the driving. The other day when he started it and drove it down the street the "check engine" light came on and i had a mechanic friend come by and check the code and he said it was something like " check the VTEC SOLENOID VALVE". Has anyone else ever had this happen and what was the problem and what all did it involve as far as fixing it (parts,labor, cost)?
I would appreciate any help as i am unable to get around and physically will not be able to drive( if you want to call it that) the car for another 9- 12 months.
Besides that, i will have paid off the car in 7 more payments and the guy that sold me the car still hasn't sent me the title since june of 2007 so i cannot register the car and enjoy the car that i bought 4.5 years ago and have made 53 of 60 payments of $499.66 a month and insurance of $174.21 a month.plus i put $8000 down and paid $1600 to ship it. The grand total for my misery is $50,031.60 and counting! And i am sure it is depreciating quite a bit, especially now that a new one is coming out!
So does anyone know what a "check vtec" code amounts to when the check engine light comes on? Thanks so very much?

I'm pretty certain you don't recieve the title of a car you financed until you finish paying for the car. The company which you have financed that car through should be in possession of the title and it will be transfered to you once you're done with the payments.

I don't remember to well but I'm pretty certain you just need to bring the Bill of Sale for registration and additional paperwork that the dealer/person gave you. I could be wrong though. I have no clue about the vtec solenoid.

Last edited:
Try rockin' a search but the first thing that popped up for me was this (below link). Look at Larry's reply. He is the master so I would start with his suggestion then work back to what others say.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126617

As for the pay off if you are making payments to a bank or loan agency they should have the title NOT the prevous owner. No bank in their right mind would loan you money without the title as collateral. This ensures their recourse if there is ever a failure to pay. Just doesn't make sense for the original owner to have the title. He should have already been paid off and title transferred. With all that said there are procedures you can take to have title secured as long as you can show the transaction occurred. People lose the titles to their cars and such...so there there is a way to reissue title.

Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery. No one should be deprived of their NSX for that long:biggrin:

Nick

Pull the wiring connectors (single wire) off both solenoids, clean them and put them back on. The VTEC solenoids do not usually have problems on these cars, but the electrical connectors on older cars are very well documented problem causers (especially in engine bays that are subjected to weather and heat). Good Luck!

Did you check your engine oil level? Just stating this as my GSR had the check engine light come on when I revved the engine and it came back with a VTEC code. My oil level was below the minimum and VTEC needs oil pressure to function properly. Once topped up and the code cleared, I didn't encounter this again.

Back