• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check Engine Light On

Started up my 2000 this morning (first cold morning of the year) and the yellow check engine light remained on. owners manual indicated it is emissions control. Does anybody have any clues as to what sensor this might be?

------------------

I assumed you were referring to the service manual, since (I don't think) each of the codes is explained in the owner's manual.

There's a DIY in the FAQ here about how to pull the trouble codes from the ECU to explain the check engine light. In the Fuel section of the service manual (the '91 version is also in the FAQ here), it tells how to pull the code(s) (in less detail than the DIY, but how to interpret the blinks as a number) (page 11-18, or page 194 of the .pdf file), a brief explanation of each code, and a reference to the diagnostic procedure to follow for each one (on page 11-20, or 196).

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 30 October 2002).]

thank you for the info.... when i jumper the connector to read out the code, how do i interpret what code number it is? also, is it safe to assume i can use the codes in the faq 1991 manual for my 2000?

Originally posted by nsxmo:
when i jumper the connector to read out the code, how do i interpret what code number it is?

See the instructions at the bottom of page 11-18, or page 194 of the .pdf file.

Originally posted by nsxmo:
is it safe to assume i can use the codes in the faq 1991 manual for my 2000?

I believe that any code in the '91 manual has not changed since then, and the diagnostic procedure is probably the same. However, there may have been new codes added since 1991. If you want to be absolutely sure - and especially if you plan to work on your own car - then you should buy a copy of the service manual for your year of car, which you can do here.

The ECU on a 2000 model year car monitors a lot more systems than a 1991. For example if you don't tighten your gas cap on a 2000 nsx it will turn on the check engine light, on a 1991 it will not. In 1996 the whole auto industry went to whats called OBD 11 (on board diagnostics 2) which standardized most of the codes between all the manufactures. The newer a car gets the more systems that are monitored. If your car has less than 50,000 miles on it the dealer should check it under warranty for you. It is easier for them to hook up a scan tool to your DLC connector and read the codes that way. Just FYI.

Bruce www.pettittsauto.com

This is still "under construction" but should help. You must have Adobe Acrobat 5.x to view it. http://www.nsxprime.com/codes.pdf

This link is only temporary. A more complete version of this document will replace the existing FAQ entry soon and this preliminary version will be removed.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 30 October 2002).]

Thank you so much for sharing the information. I jumpered the connector and it read out a code 66. That is a HO2 heater sensor. I priced it out ($280) and reset the ECU. So far, the light is not back on, but now i know what to do. Dan ([email protected])

Back