• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Check Engine light - what's this code?

Hi everyone, I got a check engine light friday night, right before going for an emissions test saturday morning. Long story on the emissions, see my post under "Dali Chip."

In any event, the car was running a stock chip, CAI, headers and exhaust, and DID pass Mass emissions. I pulled the codes from the ECU today:

_ _ _ . . = 32
_ _ _ _ . . = 42

then the 42 repeated a few times. I checked and double checked and came up with these same codes.

I couldn't find a reference (on Prime or elsewhere) for the 32, but the 42 is "Rear HO2S Heater" or "Rear primary HO2S heater circuit malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)."

Interestingly, the battery had been disconnected for a while only last weekend when I installed the stock chip, and I've only seen one CE light (I assume all codes would clear), so I don't know if maybe the 32 is simply the computer saying: "OK, get ready, here's your trouble code..."

Questions:
What exactly is the Rear HO2S heater? Why does it malfunction? Can it effect emissions? Should I replace it?

Any help is appreciated.
TIA, Scott

code 32: no signal engine speed, can be caused by:

ECU
TCS computer
bad wire harness
A/T

Check to insure you seated the chip with the pin1 at the correct local in the ZIF, if thats cool pull the clock fuse and keep an eye on it.besides the CE did your TCS light come on until you shut the car off and cycled the ignition?

Best Regards David

"besides the CE did your TCS light come on until you shut the car off and cycled the ignition?"

No, but I wonder if shutting off the TCS in the middle of the dyno-run could have triggered it? I'm assuming that the first code displayed (in the case 32) was the most recent error detected, and that would make sense since the TCS was deactivated after the CE light the previous night. Just a thought...
Clock fuse? Good. That (which fuse) was my next question :)
Thanks for the info.

Back