• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chrome or Chrome Powdercoat???

Hey All,

I was looking into getting my 2002 rims chromed, but I wasnt sure which one was better to do regular chrome plating or chrome powercoat. If anyone knows about these processes, please tell me the pros and cons of both. I read on the prime site that poweder coating tends to chip and peel towards the edges...is this accurate?

Thanks

nsxtar said:
Hey All,

I was looking into getting my 2002 rims chromed, but I wasnt sure which one was better to do regular chrome plating or chrome powercoat. If anyone knows about these processes, please tell me the pros and cons of both. I read on the prime site that poweder coating tends to chip and peel towards the edges...is this accurate?

Thanks

After having wheels in traditional chrome for many years and currently using the powdercoating, I can comment on the traditional chroming process and the new age powdercoating chrome look.

Traditional chrome: Flakes and peals if subjected to salt water and or chemicals. Finish is only shiny on the outer surfaces. Looks pretty good for the first 2 years, after that it slowly starts loosing its luster without proper maintenance. Pricing is around $125 per wheel, depending on size.
1-2 year warranty

Powdercoat chrome: Awesome imitation of chrome. Chrome like finish coverage on every exposed surface, including the barrel. Black Chrome available. Pricing is around $200 per wheel, depending on size.
5 year warranty (Goodrich Technology)

What you are looking for is a patented process called PermaStar.

For more info on PermaStar powdercoating of wheels, check out Pacific Rims

Or check out SEMA

Good luck in your search,
John :biggrin:

Back