• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Chuckwalla 1/9/14: First time out on Yokohama A005's

Coz

Legendary Member
First time out on Yokohama A005's and getting a feel for them.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/87qPFRI6BQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2.02 Lap Warming up the A005's, 2nd time out on them and the Session was Done Due to Yellow & then Emergency Equipment on Track Flag next lap.
I see a sub 2 minute lap next time out with these tires at CW once I build trust and confidence in them :)

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/86319171" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/86319171">2.02 Lap Warming up A005's, Getting the feel of them and Session was Done Due to Yellow & then Emergency Equipment on Track Flag.

Last edited:
I like the tire a lot.

Running 2 sets of wheels now, NT-01's on one and the A005's on another.

I suspect I will end up 3 to 6 seconds faster on them vs the NT's depending on the track.
I figure at CW and INDE I should gain 5+ seconds over all. Shorter tracks probably 2-3 seconds.
WHP East next month will be a good comparison since we were there in January and I ran a 1.03 on the NT's .

The problem with the NT's is putting the power down. Between the boost lag and then the NT's liking to lose grip and spin I lose a lot of time getting off the corners.
The A005's do much better. I gained at least 10-20 mph end of straights speed alone at CW plus mid corner grip.

I'm still leaving a lot of time on the table but that will come down once I build some confidence in them.
I've only been out on them 3 times. Still working on cold/hot pressures, temps, and still have to look at alignment settings some more as I keep pushing them harder and harder.

Last edited:
Thanks Ravi....sub 2 minute lap coming at CW next time out :)

You were a major help getting Nick's car back on track !
Can't thank you enough for helping NSX brothers out !

Is this a tire you can drive to and from the track on like the nto1 or ra1?

No Doc...Its a full racing slick.
I suppose you could, but it's life span would sure be shorter than it is already.

Coz I share the same goal :)

Nick has been helping me out continuously so why not lend a hand.

Plus I was bored and that transmission wasn't going to tear itself out and down!

No Doc...Its a full racing slick.
I suppose you could, but it's life span would sure be shorter than it is already.

nice.....that must be fun.

nice.....that must be fun.

Having run Nt-01's for the last 5 years, it's a new experience running the A005's for sure. The grip is amazing.

Nice. Is Chuckwalla your local track? I'm headed to Chuckwalla this weekend to run the Time Attack group with the Porsche Owners Club. I went to Chuckwalla a few weeks ago for the first time and had a blast. We ran CCW. Super fun track.

Hi Ryan,
Chuckwalla is one of the tracks on the NASA-AZ schedule every year. Sort of local to us here in AZ.
We just did a cross over event there with NASA-So-Cal. Was hoping to see you out there.
Our local tracks are Wildhorse Pass, East, West and Main. INDE in Wilcox as well.
Chuckwalla in the CCW configuration is a lot of fun, very smooth flowing track. CW, I'm not so fond of, just doesn't flow well for me.

I saw you out at Autoclub Speedway with NASA-So-Cal last time I was out there, you were running but I didn't get a chance to meet you because I was busy with Pace Car driving duties helping out.
I've watched you drive at Autoclub, you look great out there and run some great times, very impressive. I've never been on Autoclub yet other than drive the pace car.

You should try to come out to the May crossover event with NASA-So-Cal and NASA-AZ thats going to be held at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch May 3-4.
We'll have another cross over event July 12-13 at Willow Springs. That will be our last cross over event in California for this year.
Would be great to finally meet you if you can make it out to one of them.

Good luck and have fun this weekend !

Nice. Is Chuckwalla your local track? I'm headed to Chuckwalla this weekend to run the Time Attack group with the Porsche Owners Club. I went to Chuckwalla a few weeks ago for the first time and had a blast. We ran CCW. Super fun track.

Back