• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clarkson returns his Ford GT

xsn said:
You need to read more closely, or perhaps the difference is lost in translation? He never said he does not take advantage of being a motor journalist. He said he does not profit from it, e.g. flipping cars for a profit he is able to obtain as a result of who he is.
Mmmh, maybe really a translation problem for me. So what's the difference between taking advantage and taking profit? As being a part time motor journalist myself in the past I can tell you stories about gifts under your pillow (sometimes even on your pillow if you know what I mean) in your hotel room when a car company presents a new model, there are even official special rebates for journalists when they buy a car here (up to 20% of the sticker price). Advantage or profit?

If Clarkson gets a DB 9 for free as a loaner - advantage or profit? He does save his money, right?

NSX-Racer said:
If Clarkson gets a DB 9 for free as a loaner - advantage or profit? He does save his money, right?

A free loaner car is a perk.

Flipping a hard-to-get car for more than you paid is a profit.

I don't think taking the alarm out woudl even be an option. Giving how extensive the system is that he describes, I woul dassume it's built into the ignition. As in the car needs to see the alarm system and the key to start.

Sounds like the guy who wired up Clarkson's GT also worked on my fiancee's Windstar. Not to start a pissing battle on Ford but soon after the warranty expired it developed myriad electrical gremlins costing $1200 to fix: inop power door locks, failed backup sensor system and a dome light with a mind of its own. Paying that much coin to fix little crap that shouldn't break in the first place is really irritating. That's the last Ford she buys, I guarantee it.

Perk is slang for "perquisite":

per·qui·site Pronunciation Key (pûrkw-zt)
n.

1. A payment or profit received in addition to a regular wage or salary, especially a benefit expected as one's due.
2. A tip; a gratuity.
3. Something claimed as an exclusive right: “Politics was the perquisite of the upper class” (Richard B. Sewall).

perquisite

n 1: an incidental benefit awarded for certain types of employment (especially if it is regarded as a right); "a limousine is one of the fringe benefits of the job" [syn: fringe benefit, perk] 2: a right reserved exclusively by a particular person or group (especially a hereditary or official right); "suffrage was the prerogative of white adult males" [syn: prerogative, privilege, exclusive right]

Source: dictionary.com

The next day, on the way back to the garage, I received a call on the hands-free phone from the tracker company. “Your car’s been stolen, sir,” said the man. “I’m sure it hasn’t,” I said, “because I’m in it.”

I find that quite funny because I can picture him saying it.

Thanks Russ for the info. That leads me to the question if getting a "perk" as a motor journalist is anyway better than getting a profit - I dislike both because it's some kind of corruption no matter what you call it and may lead (intentionely or not) to biased informations for the customer (reader, TV watcher, listener).

Therefor I refused any of this "perk" or profit offers in the last 10 or more years (after I started to really think it over).

In this case the perks seem to include being able to return a new car and obtaining a full refund from the manufacturer. I'm curious whether Ford extends that privilege to all its other customers, or just to its Ford GT customers, or just to Jeremy Clarkson.

Sometimes the problems do not come from the new cars but from the mechanics at the dealership itself. My friend who drove a Ford wagon (I don't know what the name is but its a Ford) and one who drove a Mazda always have a never-ending problem with their cars. From what I understand the problems are to do with the incapable mechanics in the dealerships.

To conclude the problem does not always come from the cars if not it will not sell in other countries and people will not buy it but rather the dealership.

I could say that the Honda dealership in my country is afraid to even touch my NSX as they are not really knowledgable so in the end I have to find a Ferrari/Lambo mechanic to get my car fixed.

I didn’t even mind when it arrived at my house one month ago inside a truck which had “On Time” written down the side. As we know from America’s arrival into the second world war, their concept of “on time” differs slightly from ours

This is not one of the wiser statements from a journalist.....perhaps he would like to be speaking German instead :mad:

I would side with Clarkson on this one. If I'm paying $100k+ for a car, it needs to work. Not just certain parts but all of it. Maybe most people would tolerate it but not me. And after waiting 25 years to own a car like the GT(40), I would be very dissapointed if it malfunctioned like it did. To each his own though.

Conor

Shkrmvr said:
This is not one of the wiser statements from a journalist.....perhaps he would like to be speaking German instead :mad:

lol.gif

I could say that the Honda dealership in my country is afraid to even touch my NSX as they are not really knowledgable so in the end I have to find a Ferrari/Lambo mechanic to get my car fixed.[/QUOTE]

I called my local Honda Dealership to schedule an oil change. You know, just to keep it dealer serviced. (no Acura dealer in town) The clerk said, "Now that was an '01 MDX, right?". Enough said.

NeoNSX said:
Clarkson is negative towards japanese cars in general - especially Nissan's. (racist :p ) However, in one of his Special DVD's (the one with "Outrageous" in the title? i'd have to check) he and three other drivers try to determine the best car against a Porsche, Skyline, NSX, and some other models. It's a less than scientific test, but when driving the NSX Clarkson actually remarks to the camera "i'm having so much fun in this... i think i'll do another lap". :eek: The NSX makes it to the final group of best cars too. I'm not making this up -- i was shocked watching this.

Interesting. I'll have to look for that one. It is also on his "Clarkson's Top 100" video, but it's pretty high in the list, somewhere around #75 if I remember correctly. I guess he doesn't hate all Japanese cars, as the Prelude was also on the list. It came in somewhere around #25 just for being a great looking car. I agree with him on that, but it's not nearly as good looking as the NSX...

I think he's completely ok in returning his GT. They have been plagued with numerous serious failures including rear suspension parts that Ford is replacing at alot of money per car. I would NOT tolerate this kind of idiocy that Ford can't put a security system in a car they'll get over $150,000 each for, but another company can in a $30,000 car. Ford had the chance to actually stand out and build an amzing machine, when seems all they've really done is restyle a beautiful design from 40 years ago, drop in a fast engine and surround it with poor unreliable engineering.

I would never stand for my $150,000 to buy me complete crap. It's a shame too, cuz I'd love to own this car someday, and say it was a great car, but they need to go back and sweat the details... because details are what separates average cars from amazing cars.

In the latest Top Gear, Clarkson is unable to drive for six months due to 2 slipped discs in his back. Maybe that's why he returned the GT... maybe that's what caused his back to go? :D

Back