• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Classic NSX insurance.

Good Afternoon. Looking to change insurance companies. I have Hagerty now. Grundy told me they do not insure the NSX anymore. Which sounds strange because I have seen threads on Prime that people have said they have Grundy. They were posts from back in 2016. Has Grundy changed. I have a1991. If anyone out there can help I would appreciate it. Thanks,

Mike

That is strange. They told me they do not insure NSX's anymore that they are not collectable.

Is may be a stupid question, but did you explicitly state which year? There is a chance they maybe assumed it was the new generation NSX? There are several owners that use Grundy and my policy is due for renewal in May and I have not received any kind of communication stating that they are going to stop covering the car. I have a '91 so I'd be shocked if they didn't consider a 30yr old sports car as collectible. But then again, I'm not in the insurance field.

That is strange. They told me they do not insure NSX's anymore that they are not collectable.

that is the opposite of what is happening for the original (old) nsx

I have a stated value with Grundy as well. I was with Hagerty but they were very expensive compared to Grundy.

We have both of our (NA1) NSX's insured through Grundy, much better pricing than Hagerty.

Can you folks post some prices so we know about what these types of agreed policies cost?

[this coming from someone who was always too cheap to buy track insurance].

insurance

Is may be a stupid question, but did you explicitly state which year? There is a chance they maybe assumed it was the new generation NSX? There are several owners that use Grundy and my policy is due for renewal in May and I have not received any kind of communication stating that they are going to stop covering the car. I have a '91 so I'd be shocked if they didn't consider a 30yr old sports car as collectible. But then again, I'm not in the insurance field.
yes I did. The person I talked to was wrong.

Insurance

Can you folks post some prices so we know about what these types of agreed policies cost?

[this coming from someone who was always too cheap to buy track insurance].
Here you go. Grundy about $80 month for $75000 in coverage. American collectors $140 a month for $69,900 in coverage Hagerty $151 for 65,000, $159 for $70,000, $167 per month for $75,000.

as always the biggest comparison factor rather than just price are the use restrictions....also of course rates vary by demographics/region...ymmv

Insurance

Also, yes Grundy is a lot cheaper, however they put way to many restrictions on when and where you can drive the car. For example if I want to take it out for a drive to say go to Home Depot to pick up a light bulb or something Grundy will not cover the car if I get into an accident. Everything with them is either a pleasure drive, car meet, car show or to a friends house. No other errands can be done using the car. Seems like an argument waiting to happen if I am involved in an accident.

that's why I have full unrestricted (agreed value) coverage...except I remove collision over winter.

Not just use restrictions, but driving record, deductible, and location plays a big part with insurance cost. I have several cars insured threw Grundy so I get discounts with a multi car policy. I was shopping around for insurance for my SLC and I had an accident a few years ago with my SQ5 totaled it out with a deer. It was supposed to be “no fault” but it didn’t show that way in the computer. So my rate a year went up $1200 from what they quoted me. I sent them a copy of the accident report showing it was a deer and “no fault” and they dropped the price back down for me.

I have no restrictions on my policy other then I’m not covered for track days. I take collision off in the winter as well because they sit in a heated garage all winter.

Last edited:
Try American Modern with an agreed value policy. I have the NSX and GTR with a full with them. Well worth the price of admission.

Last edited:
Also, yes Grundy is a lot cheaper, however they put way to many restrictions on when and where you can drive the car. For example if I want to take it out for a drive to say go to Home Depot to pick up a light bulb or something Grundy will not cover the car if I get into an accident. Everything with them is either a pleasure drive, car meet, car show or to a friends house. No other errands can be done using the car. Seems like an argument waiting to happen if I am involved in an accident.

I used to have Grundy for many of my cars. They said you could not "use" the car for errands but when I asked if i was out for a drive to meet friends for lunch could I make a quick stop. They said yes. They also told me I could drive the car to work a few times a months, but not for daily use which was fine with me. I liked that there was no mileage restriction as I would sometimes take the car on weekend trips.

Now the big positive with Grundy. When I had an incident with my NSX they sent an adjuster who looked at the car, along with the specialty collision center and deemed the frame damage was not safe to repair. I sent them the title and they sent me a check with for the agreed amount. The only negative was that for three years after they wouldn't cover me when I got a replacement car for the NSX.

Grundy for my NSX as well. Just checked the Hagerty Valuation on my car and it has gone up quite a bit. Ended up bumping my value up. I used the Hagerty tool to buy my car in 2014. Considered it a #2 car. It has almost doubled in value since then.

Back