• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clear bra vs repainting as needed

I'm trying to decide whether to clear bra my new NSX or just leave it alone and plan on repainting the front end whenever rock chips get too bad. What do you guys think?

I got a quote to do XPel Ultimate on the front part of hood, bumper and mirrors and it was over $1K! That's seems crazy just for plastic film. If I want to add rocker panels, edge of wheel wells, side rear bumper, etc, it will be north of $1500 closer to $2K. Seems like for that kind of price, I could just put it in the bank and repaint when I get enough chips.

Has anyone here gone through the same dilemma? What would you do and why? Any advice would be appreciated!

Depends in what shape the surface is right now and if it's worth protecting in the first place.

I have Xpel clear bra on another car and I really like the sense of security from chips, etc...
The pricing is about right (maybe 10%-20% higher than here in the SouthEast).

I am probably going to do the NSX soon...after the paint cures and before much damage occurs.

Last edited:
When I bought my NSX it had a few stone chips in various places. I touched it up as best I could but Imola Orange Pearl is damn near impossible to match so I had Xpel do the clear bra on mine so at least there will be no added chips to the paint. I've had it for two years and no problems so far. And like Tom said, the piece of mind that you don't have to worry about stones is worth every penny. On the way to last years NSXPO, I hit a tire carcass and it left a tire marrk on the front of the car. But, the bra protected the paint and all I needed to do was wipe off the mark with some detailer. Plus, unless you bring it up most people don't even know you have a bra on the car if you have the full hood and front fenders covered.

The deciding factor is the present condition of your car. If it's pristine or has a minimum number of chips the clear bra is a great way to preserve the front. If it already has numerous chips, scratches, etc then I would drive the car until such a time it needed a re-spray. I have the Xpel clear bra and could not be happier.

The deciding factor is the present condition of your car. If it's pristine or has a minimum number of chips the clear bra is a great way to preserve the front. If it already has numerous chips, scratches, etc then I would drive the car until such a time it needed a re-spray. I have the Xpel clear bra and could not be happier.

Agreed, as unblemished as possible under the clear bra.

Thanks for the advice so far guys...

Right now, my front bumper is almost perfect. There are probably 2-3 tiny chips about 1mm in diameter and that's it. But the lower part around the grill area has quite a few more. Should I do all of it or just the bumper part?

I wasn't planning on doing the entire hood because that costs WAY more. The NSX has a natural seam line between the bumper and the hood so I thought that would be a good place to end the bra. What do you all think? Is the hood itself very susceptible to chips? What other areas should I do?

Cost me $1k to do the entire front of my NSX.

What blows is that while it protects the paint against rock chips, nothing is protecting the film against scratches (people rubbing their dirty paws on it, etc.)

The Xpel is self healing. A scratch will last about 20 minutes or less if you pour warm water on it. Yes it costs a bit more than other clear bras. But, the way I look at it, this is my dream car and only the best will do. The price of owning an exotic. I know several people with cars much more expensive than mine who have had their entire car covered.

Clear Bra

I'm trying to decide whether to clear bra my new NSX or just leave it alone and plan on repainting the front end whenever rock chips get too bad. What do you guys think?

I got a quote to do XPel Ultimate on the front part of hood, bumper and mirrors and it was over $1K! That's seems crazy just for plastic film. If I want to add rocker panels, edge of wheel wells, side rear bumper, etc, it will be north of $1500 closer to $2K. Seems like for that kind of price, I could just put it in the bank and repaint when I get enough chips.

Has anyone here gone through the same dilemma? What would you do and why? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hello,

Prices for installations vary based on labor rates and installer experience but you can usually expect a general range.

Partial Front End) 18-24" up the hood and fenders, front bumper, headlights and mirrors. $750-1,000.

Full Front End) Entire hood, front fenders, front bumper, headlights and mirrors. $1,650-1,895.

A lot of people get extra protection on the NSX however and end up covering the A-Pillars, leading edge of paint on the roof, door cups and rocker panels. This will increase the price.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here, or PM us. We will also be at NSXPO again this year! If you didn't make it last year check out our coverage of the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riX8WNSo-rU

Photo Thread

IMG_5324.jpg
Both Imola's are protected with XPEL on the full front ends + some extra coverage.

Hello,

Prices for installations vary based on labor rates and installer experience but you can usually expect a general range.

Partial Front End) 18-24" up the hood and fenders, front bumper, headlights and mirrors. $750-1,000.

Full Front End) Entire hood, front fenders, front bumper, headlights and mirrors. $1,650-1,895.

A lot of people get extra protection on the NSX however and end up covering the A-Pillars, leading edge of paint on the roof, door cups and rocker panels. This will increase the price.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here, or PM us. We will also be at NSXPO again this year! If you didn't make it last year check out our coverage of the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riX8WNSo-rU

Photo Thread

View attachment 114387
Both Imola's are protected with XPEL on the full front ends + some extra coverage.

Wow... didn't know XPEL is a member here. Since you asked, yes I have a few more questions. Does XPEL come pre-cut and shaped for the NSX, or does the installer have to custom cut everything? If so, you have precut ones for the rocker panels, a pillars, and all the obscure areas as well? Or just the main frontal areas?

I'm just wondering why install is so expensive. The material itself can't be that costly, so that means the bulk of the cost is installation. At the prices quoted, it seems like you can pay for a repaint job at a quality place for the same cost.

The question is do you really want your car re-painted? Besides not being original paint, matching can be a bitch, even by skilled painters and rarely if ever is it as perfect as the original finish unless you do a full re-spray of the entire car.

My paint is still in pretty good shape so I'd rather go xpel to preserve it than try to trust a new finish in the hands of someone else.

What do you all think? Is the hood itself very susceptible to chips? What other areas should I do?
Oh my gosh yes! Rock chips all over the hood.
If you're going to spend the money on XPEL, I would say you should install it up the hood and fenders at least 18''-24'' (as XPEL recommends in his post above).

Oh my gosh yes! Rock chips all over the hood.
If you're going to spend the money on XPEL, I would say you should install it up the hood and fenders at least 18''-24'' (as XPEL recommends in his post above).

Agreed!
Also (although I have pop-up headlights on my NSX), I have protected the expensive exposed headlights on the car I Xpel'd.

Computeron, there are some additional details if your considering a clear bra. You will need to strip the wax/ polish off the car (Dawn dish soap works very well) and deliver you car with the paint surface free of swirls. So either you do the compounding or you have a detailer do the work. You will also want to have any chips filled with factory touch up prior to deliver, some places will do this for you at additional cost. If the surface blemishes aren't removed or filled marring will appear as white spots due to the airspace between the film and the paint.

Computeron, there are some additional details if your considering a clear bra. You will need to strip the wax/ polish off the car (Dawn dish soap works very well) and deliver you car with the paint surface free of swirls. So either you do the compounding or you have a detailer do the work. You will also want to have any chips filled with factory touch up prior to deliver, some places will do this for you at additional cost. If the surface blemishes aren't removed or filled marring will appear as white spots due to the airspace between the film and the paint.

Wow... wasn't aware of that. I surely hope the high cost of installation includes all of this prep work. I will ask to be sure. Thanks!

Ok guys... a little follow-up. I had XPEL Ultimate done to entire front of my car all the way up the hood and complete side fenders as well as front bumper and lights. It turned out great... HOWEVER, I have a couple of questions for those who have had complete front XPEL done as well.

There is a little vertical curved area next to the front inner edge of both headlights (2002+ model) that didn't get covered because the shop said that is too much of a curve to manage with the XPEL. Is that normal? Do any of you with 2002+ and XPEL have these same bare areas?

Also, there is no coverage inside of the Acura logo in front. The XPEL does a circle around the Acura emblem. Nothing inside the Acura ring. Is this normal as well. I know the odds are slim, but seems like I can get chips in these two small areas.

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not 02+ up front, but here is what I know.
My (very reputable) shop said they can cover anything, it's just a matter of time&cost vs risk. If the film can't be stretched around a shape or curve they can cut pieces to fit it. Luckily my '91 has a solid front logo.

Personally I erred on the side of caution since I had just had the exterior resprayed. Also, before I had my car covered the shop owner and I did a thorough walkaround of the NSX to detail exactly what would not be covered and why. Then we did the same thing afterwards where he walked me through the trouble spots and explained how he worked around the challenging areas.

I know that there are films that people apply to the 02 headlights, I believe they are the same as window tint film, you might want to check with Bluebat on the forum or he might chime in, I inquired recently and he stated that he offers this product for the headlights; In regards to the emblem on the front bumper, I imagine they could have removed this and reinstalled, they might of chosen to just make a cut out to prevent any paint damage that could of occurred from removal.

I know that there are films that people apply to the 02 headlights, I believe they are the same as window tint film, you might want to check with Bluebat on the forum or he might chime in, I inquired recently and he stated that he offers this product for the headlights; In regards to the emblem on the front bumper, I imagine they could have removed this and reinstalled, they might of chosen to just make a cut out to prevent any paint damage that could of occurred from removal.

The area by the headlights I am talking about is not on the headlights themselves, those are covered completely. It's the painted curved metal area right at the inside front edge of the headlights that curve up. I don't have a picture right now, but I can post one later.

As for the emblem, I don't really want them removing the emblem and risking damage to it. I was just hoping they would have cut out some small pieces and applied them to the small painted areas inside the logo.

For both of these cases, the shop owner was basically saying this is normal and there is minimal risk to chips in these areas. Not having ever had any clear film installed before, I just went with it. But it still kind of bothers me that after paying over $2K for full frontal coverage, I don't truly have 100% coverage. Just wondering how others that might have had 02+ cars with XPEL installed dealt with these issues.

Last edited:
Ok guys... a little follow-up. I had XPEL Ultimate done to entire front of my car all the way up the hood and complete side fenders as well as front bumper and lights. It turned out great... HOWEVER, I have a couple of questions for those who have had complete front XPEL done as well.

There is a little vertical curved area next to the front inner edge of both headlights (2002+ model) that didn't get covered because the shop said that is too much of a curve to manage with the XPEL. Is that normal? Do any of you with 2002+ and XPEL have these same bare areas?

Also, there is no coverage inside of the Acura logo in front. The XPEL does a circle around the Acura emblem. Nothing inside the Acura ring. Is this normal as well. I know the odds are slim, but seems like I can get chips in these two small areas.

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks!

Computron,

The shop was correct. Due to the severe radius/curve/edge in that spot, covering it with film is extremely difficult.

As far as the emblem goes, some shops will remove the emblem, install the film, and then replace the emblem over the film so that the whole area is protected.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Back