• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

CLK-GTR 7.3

Has anyone here ever imported a car like this? From talking to the seller in Geneva Switzerland he said that once you buy the car someone comes from HWA-AMG comes to teach the local MB dealer how to work on the car. I was looking at this and the Mclaren F1 and the F1 has to go to New Jersey for all of the maintenance from what BMW says. So what car do you think is better the clk-grt 7.2 it's a 2002 with 720 HP or the McLaren F1? Has anyone been in either of these cars? The person who does the EPA conversions for the CLK and F1 said that F1 is a better car and he knew of 2 for sale and the conversion for the clk was about 125,000 plus it would take 6 months, here is the link for the car being sold, they also said a tech would come out every year to do updates on the car as well as supply race tires and a race exhaust if I wanted to track the car. http://www.carclassic.com/html/DD90.htm

In my opinion there isn't any comparison between the clk-gtr and the McLaren F1. The McLaren is superior in every category including looks. I also believe the McLaren will continue to increase in value, I have my doubts about the gtr increasing.

I looked into purchasing a McLaren a few years ago and at that time US legal ones were about 1.5M. You might be able to save some money by finding a eurospec model and converting it to U.S. but in the long run I think you would be better off trying to find an original U.S. version.

If you get the McLaren, try to get it in Silver it is much better looking then the other colors.

As far as someone coming out once a year and doing updates and providing race tires and exhaust, it sounds like they have way too much mark up on the car to be able to provide this after the sale.

Thanks for the info. Like I said the person in CA that does the DOT stuff said he likes the F1 better as well. I do not think this is going to be a quick process but I am going to get started on it. I will let you know when and if I can get one.

Thanks for your time
Ryan

after driving both the CLK-GTR and McLaren F1 (and McLaren F1 LM) in Need For Speed 6 Hot Pursuit 2 for PC, here are my expert opinions about the CLK-GTR:

* Superior handling

* Better acceleration and capable of reaching higher top speeds,

* This car has been beaten by an ugly stick! YUCK!!! The McLaren is easily more appealing in looks; 2nd to an NSX
wink.gif

* my conclusions, being based on a computer game, are probably not very valid. but hopefully someone finds this amusing.
smile.gif

Originally posted by prov4re:
Get the Clk Gtr its got every other car beat it can Fly!

That's the scary part. MB didn't quite figure out the aero part, whereas the McLaren actually won LeMans...

Originally posted by prov4re:
Get the Clk Gtr its got every other car beat it can Fly!

Yeah and it can do spins in the air while it's flying too!

I saw that race in real-time and couldn't believe my eyes when "the incident" took place... Simply amazing.

Thats the second Clk to do it. You should see the video from the first one were the car ended up in the woods.

*lol* it's happened more than once??? Hahaha... no wonder they offer frequent flyer points when u drive the CLK-GTR!!!
smile.gif

...is there any video clip on the net showing this other spectacular flip.

I'm actually starting to like the CLK-GTR because of it's crashes! *lol*

Originally posted by NeoNSX:
8000RPM: are you refering to this video clip of the <A HREF="http://marc.merlins.org/Cars/Videos/Accidents/Flying_Porsche.mpeg">Flying CLK-GTR</a> ???

Are you sure that's a CLK that flipped? Looks like a Porsche...

Anyway, I was referring to the incident where the CLK flew and ended up outside the track in the woods.

Truly frightening and spectacular at the same time.

Back