• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch problem

Hi everyone,

I was driving my nsx today. I was in first gear and bring it up to redline (8000rpm), step on the clutch and and it won't go into 2nd gear. I finally got it in with a little force. Now the clutch doesn't pop up all the way. It feels like the hydrolic is not working b/c the clutch pressure feels really hard like the ones on the Porsche.

So I pull over and try to mess around with the shifting. With the engine running the car will not shift in gear (any gear)while it's in nuetral but when the engine is off it's fine. So I have to shift in first while the engine is off then start the engine and launch from there. The cluch seem hard but it still work, not as good as before. Launch in first is really rough now. Anyone know what the problem is?

Had a similar problem a few weeks ago.

Turns out clutch fluid was REALLY low (we suspect a slow leak in the master or slave cylinder, perhaps one of the gaskets)...

Added fluid and pumped the pedal about a dozen times, and it recovered.

Car's been fine so far.

Milano,
I agree with cojones.

I had a similar problem with my 94 recently after the install of a new clutch. I had a difficult time engaging the car into a gear (especially 1st or reverse). I could put it in gear but it was very notchy and especially difficult from a stop. The shifting otherwise, once the car got rolling, was just fine. As it turns out, after having work done on the clutch, we discovered that the clutch slave cylinder was leaking/faulty. After replacing the slave cylinder and bleeding the clutch fluid, the car shifts just fine again.

Was the clutch "sticky" near the floor (pushing it in all the way?)
Another idea, possibly adjustment of the clutch pedal?

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

------------------
94 Red/Black

My clutch master cylinder went out two weeks ago, shorty after experiencing a sticky clutch pedal at the top(pushed in all the way). The fun part was having the fluid slowly leak out on the way home from Michigan. The further I went, the harder it was to shift, until it lost all pressure and the pedal went soft.

------------------

Thanks for the info. I'm taking my car to the dealer tomorrow. Hope the clutch wouldn't play games on me while I'm on the highway. I'll just leave it in second gear just to be save. I hope it's not the syncro in the gears because I just put about $6k worth of goodies on the car and it's about two weeks since I put it back on the road. Don't want to spend any more or my gf will be jealous
smile.gif
If that is the problem too bad she just have to deal with it.

Definitely sounds like a clutch master cyl to me. I've seen them get notchy and not very long after that go out totally. Also, on most occasions, the slave cyl will go very soon after the master cyl. But if the pedal hit the floor and then came back up, it's probably the master cyl.
Barn Man....

what is the service interval on the clutch cylinders ?? I think my master has some leaks.

I've also heard of higher-mile newer cars going through these (at least 2x for a ~100K mile 95).

Is the fix typically cylinder replacement or is an overhaul sufficient?

Clutch problems....

Barn Man said:
Definitely sounds like a clutch master cyl to me. I've seen them get notchy and not very long after that go out totally. Also, on most occasions, the slave cyl will go very soon after the master cyl. But if the pedal hit the floor and then came back up, it's probably the master cyl.
Barn Man....

Well I just had an awesome time last night/this morning tring to find a flatbed truck to pick me up and tow me back home 35 miles. With no service available for hours, I tried to put the car in gear by pumping the clutch (that went mushy all of a sudden). The car sliped into first with a little force and minor grinding where I was able to drive. I tried to push the clutch in for second and was able to get it into second however the pedal stayed on the floor; I had to pull the clutch from the floor with my foot. My guess is that the clutch master cylinder went out. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong and how much does parts cost?

TIA,

I had a similar problem in May at Wakins Glen when I down shifted for a corner and the clutch never came back up. In my case it was the slave cyclinder that had literally blown apart. The master was $155 and the slave $120 from Niello. Unfortunately I had also messed up the clutch release fork which meant the trans had to come down, which meant time for a new clutch...

- Todd

Back