• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch replace/repair?

Started to feel a "lightness" in the clutch feel this morning,which became quickly more pronounced.Managed to get back home but only just,before the clutch peddle was able to be pushed all the way to the floor with no pressure left at all on the "feel"?
Car had given no indication of trouble upuntil now.Any ideas as to what to expect from my mechanic?Car is a 91 with 40k and an almost immaculate history.

Sounds like you probably have a loss of hydraulic pressure, most likely a bad/leaking cylinder. Repair is not too expensive (relatively speaking!)

I had a similar problem a while back. Pedal became soft and gears would not engage. It turned out the car was low on fluid in the clutch. Check your clutch fluid reservoir - even a seemingly small loss will cause problems. The cause of the loss in my car was a bad slave cylinder.

Hope that helps.

I don't disagree with the diagnosis posted by others here. However, NSX clutches vary in lifespan, typically lasting anywhere from 30K miles to 100K miles. It's possible that when they diagnose yours and open it up, they may find that it's close to needing replacement; if so, it runs around $2K (OEM or aftermarket). Just something to be aware of.

Back