• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

clutch, timing belt and water pump

just wanted to check before i do this but would it be easier or save time to pull the entire engine/trans assembly to accomplish both the clutch and TB/WP service, or would you do each individually anyway? im not sure if im saving myself any time pulling it out completely. if its a little extra time then i dont mind might give me a chance to replace some hoses.

Very extreme. Follow the posted DIY in the wiki section. I did mine in my garage over two weeks... very easy to do except the crank shaft bolt.

Pulling the engine needs around 5 hours out and around 8 hours in with two experienced guys. Hard to tell if it worth it.

thats kinda borderline it seems about 5 hours for the clutch, and 6-8 hours for the tbelt and water pump with a valve adjustment. i guess ill just keep it in. i know once i got the engine out i would just want to build it anyway.

I have done both the TB service and a clutch replacement/tranny rebuild.

The ONLY thing that I can see that would be better with the whole engine tranny package out is doing the valve adjustment on the rear head, and it only took me 45 min to do the complete valve adjustment. Now that is with the valve covers already off for doing the timing belt service. The hoses can easily be changed with each of the individual services. The thing is, with the engine in the car you can easily get to the top and bottom. You are going to be dealing with quite a bit of weight with the whole package too.

I do all of my work in my garage with a floor jack and four tall jack stands ......by myself. I use a big piece of carpet pad with flat cardboard on top of it to lay on. Really pretty comfortable.

Good Luck, be careful and have fun,

Brad

I have done both the TB service and a clutch replacement/tranny rebuild.

The ONLY thing that I can see that would be better with the whole engine tranny package out is doing the valve adjustment on the rear head, and it only took me 45 min to do the complete valve adjustment. Now that is with the valve covers already off for doing the timing belt service. The hoses can easily be changed with each of the individual services. The thing is, with the engine in the car you can easily get to the top and bottom. You are going to be dealing with quite a bit of weight with the whole package too.

I do all of my work in my garage with a floor jack and four tall jack stands ......by myself. I use a big piece of carpet pad with flat cardboard on top of it to lay on. Really pretty comfortable.

Good Luck, be careful and have fun,

Brad

Listen to Brad:)

Hi Brad, I hope all is well. Stateside soon??

Regards,
LarryB

i just have some low jack stands now, what tall jack stands would you guys recommend for the engine removal which i will be doing next winter regardless. i heard you need 23" but im not sure.

You will need 21-22" to get the trans out from under the car for the clutch change. That is a little higher then typical jack stands. Nothing you can't resolve with a few 2x4's:)

Regards,
LarryB

I also was considering taking out my engine and trans for the TB and WP service...but decided that once I had the engine out it was most likely not going to go back into the car without a full extensive rebuild...the likes of which my wallet isn't ready for yet :cool:. In car TB and water pump change out it is!

GL with your project

You will need 21-22" to get the trans out from under the car for the clutch change.

Ah, my bad, I misunderstood... I meant you wouldn't need 23" for TB/WP. Mea culpa.

I did see an interesting set-up in another recent thread where the ubiquitous Harbor Freight Engine Hoist was used not to lift the engine out of the NSX, but to lift the NSX off the engine. I had never thought of that, and regret not nabbing the hoist for $99 when it was on sale, if this is a valid and repeatable methodology. Only question is the chassis grab points; I'm assuming the rear tie downs at this point.

Posted here but enclosed link to the main thread was broken.

Last edited:
When dong TB/WP and clutch at the same time, I personally like to take the engine out.

This is also because I have found that most cars will need gaskets, seals and hoses too so might as well do it at once. On the other hand if oyu really only want to do the TB/WP then it could be faster to do it in the car.

I can get the engine out and back in almost under the book time for TB/WP...

Back