• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutch vs Auto

With the talk about clutch wear and expense of replacing etc, for someone that doesn't track their car and simply enjoys riding around in it, I wonder if it would make more sense to have an automatic ???

Clutches can go at pretty much anytime. What would be the difference in the automatic ?

If you MASH the gas pedal in the automatic does it cause any more wear on the tranny than it would on the manual ?

Clutches can't go at any time; on the NSX, they typically last 35-60K miles when driven very hard, and otherwise, can last up to 90-100K miles. You won't find many owners who have replaced an NSX clutch more than once. Automatic transmissions require maintenance and can fail, too.

However, I think you're missing the point if you get an automatic instead of a clutch just to avoid the cost replacing it. The driving experience of a manual transmission car is very different from that of an automatic. Most people prefer to drive a manual (91 percent of NSX buyers). But some people prefer the automatic, for various reasons.

Try driving both, and get whichever one you prefer - not for fear of maintaining it, but just whichever one you enjoy driving more.

NSX-GUY said:
Clutches can go at pretty much anytime. What would be the difference in the automatic ?

If you MASH the gas pedal in the automatic does it cause any more wear on the tranny than it would on the manual ?

This all depends on your driving style.

Auto's also have less power.

(I personally think that in this type of car it's a sin not to have a manual...if you want comfort/easy driving, there are a ton of other cars out there that will probably be more enjoyable....of course, this is just my opinion)

NSX-GUY said:
With the talk about clutch wear and expense of replacing etc, for someone that doesn't track their car and simply enjoys riding around in it, I wonder if it would make more sense to have an automatic ???

A manual transmission just feels better to me; I am in control of the car's rpm, shift points and down shifts; its just more fun. I appreciate an automatic in heavy traffic but I try to avoid that when driving the NSX.

DrVolkl said:

(I personally think that in this type of car it's a sin not to have a manual...

I agree 1000% My car had a clutch replaced at 60,000. And I think the guy drove the car pretty hard. I don't drive like that.... the car has 116,000 on it now and the clutch is fine. I won't have to replace it for a looooong time.
Go with the stick!

I have an auto (we bought it because it had extreme low mileage) although I enjoy driving it around (usually stick to D2) just so that I can keep higher RPMs. Manual would be much more fun though. Another reason why we got it is because my mom drives it too. Just get it for whatever you like better.

People see cars differently.

Some people would like to string up anyone who drives anykind of sportscar with an auto... others just don't mind it.

It depends on your attitude with cars, and if you can live with less HP and the lack of driver interaction... if you can - get an NSX! I'm sure even an autoNSX is still a fabulous car.

The NSX (any sports car for that matter!) is meant to be "driven" not "steered." JMO. My father is getting up there (if he heard me say that he would kick my A) and argues that a person can't shift as fast as the advanced automatic's today. May be true, but I'm certainly having more fun with the 5spd (I have a 94). Good luck, owning any NSX is highly recommended.

NSX-GUY said:

My original clutch lasted 130,000 miles. I already have 40,000 on the new one that was installed last June. Some people just don't how to drive.

Hugh said:
My original clutch lasted 130,000 miles. I already have 40,000 on the new one that was installed last June. Some people just don't how to drive.

I agree. Most people seem to really ride their clutches or do high rpm launches.

NSX-GUY said:
What would be the difference in the automatic ?

Regardless of year the automatic has only a 3.0L de-tuned to 252HP. Do not get the auto unless you absolutely have to. If you're looking for performance it's not a good alternative.

15 - 20 years ago I owned a Lotus Esprit with a 5 spd. Was a great car, cornered on a dime. Shift, floor it, shift floor it etc.
Had it for 5 or 6 years
Nothing like it.

These days in reality, the automatic fits my lifestyle.
I specifically tracked down an automatic.
Heck because so many don't go this way, it was even a couple grand cheaper.
Drive around the city, I suspect you'd be hard pressed to really exercise a 5 spd. (ok, there are exceptions, and yes it would be fun, I don't doubt that, I"ve been there)
Think about the cell phone you are prolly going to be carying, maybe a coke,(ok no cup holder ->oops)

All these things are minor.
The car is a fantastic car, and deserves a 5 or 6 spd.
But in todays day to day, I personally find the auto does me just fine.

Think about a track, want to race the guy beside you at a light, even just a little bit, the 5 spd might be your way to go.

I bought a NSX because I wanted a very nice car.
I didn't buy a racecar.

A NSX with a auto, is still a NSX, don't be ashamed of going this way.
Tis a very nice ride!
:)

ody said:
15 - 20 years ago I owned a Lotus Esprit with a 5 spd. Was a great car, cornered on a dime. Shift, floor it, shift floor it etc.
Had it for 5 or 6 years
Nothing like it.

I had a new 1986 Turbo Esprit that literally fell apart after one year and 40,000 miles. Not to mention the endless replacement of defective intake manifolds that failed and cracked causing coolant leaks.

automatics are for OLD people aren't they.

ahahhaha. I think a bottle of Geritol comes with each Auto NSX. :)

Hugh:

My Lotus Esprit was a couple years older than yours.
And I was in the same boat.
I spent as much on maintance as I did on actually purchasing the car.
Was a nice ride, just not built to Honda specs. :)
Sold it because I just didn't have the time to keep replacing motor mounts and such all the time. And don't even get me started on the electronics.

Complete engine removal / rebuild. Couple times actually.
Now to be fair, it was not in that bad of condition. I was being a bit finiky.
Good garage project.

Sorry bout the off topic follow-up reply, just wanted to add my $0.02 worth.

Why all the narrow-minded intolerance towards those with automatics? Sure, a lot more people like manuals (including myself). But there are plenty of reasons why some people prefer automatics - everything from their relative ease in stop-and-go traffic, to people who have physical limitations that make a manual difficult to use, to people who have to share a car with another family member who doesn't know how to use a stick and doesn't want to learn, just to name three. And some people just plain like it better, just like some people like red cars and others prefer black or white or blue. Surely we can have a little more empathy around here than has been shown in some of these disrespectful posts...

NSX-GUY said:

If you are considering automatic because of concerns for clutch wear and not for the convenience of automatic. I would recommend manual.

One of the local NSX owner (aka Prince W) I know have 160k+ on his original clutch, still going strong. I am on original clutch as well. Once it slips I will just replace it with RPS and not worry about it for another 5~10 years.

everything else is expensive too, so why cut yourself short getting an auto? for those few times you really do want to romp on it, you're gonna be pissed you got an auto.

just pretend like it never came in auto and then make your decision :smile:

Mine was a jab at him for fun. I have his old NSX. :) (it is a manual transmission :biggrin: )

nsxtasy said:
Why all the narrow-minded intolerance towards those with automatics? Sure, a lot more people like manuals (including myself). But there are plenty of reasons why some people prefer automatics - everything from their relative ease in stop-and-go traffic, to people who have physical limitations that make a manual difficult to use, to people who have to share a car with another family member who doesn't know how to use a stick and doesn't want to learn, just to name three. And some people just plain like it better, just like some people like red cars and others prefer black or white or blue. Surely we can have a little more empathy around here than has been shown in some of these disrespectful posts...

NSX-GUY said:

If you can afford the NSX you can afford the clutch expense:confused: Besides the manual gets better gas milage which will help pay for it.

DrVolkl said:

I personally think that in this type of car it's a sin not to have a manual...

Agreed...would love to have the manual-I have an auto- only available(to purchase) was the auto NSX here in our country. Even with an auto its still a blast to drive... imagine if its a manual:cool:

Thanks for the suggestion Scot but I already HAVE the Geritol. :biggrin:

nsxstasy is right - there are any number of reasons for getting an automatic.

It just so happens that I AM OLLLLLLLLD and with some physical problems now. I have a herniated disk which, while causing NO pain at all, is affecting my legs and balance a bit. So, getting in and out of the NSX is problematic anyway but a problem I'm willing to cope with. An operation, no doubt coming in a couple of months, should alleviate ALL(?) of this.

Meanwhile, I have found, and am considering, BUYING an NSX that's a bit older than the '05 I leased a year ago (and Scotty took over) and using it as my ONLY car as opposed to having 2 cars. I've found an '02, and an '03 that may fit what I'm looking for.

Problem is, for ME, that I "stretch" my comfort level for buying a car I don't really need. Insuring it is no worse than any other high performance vehicleso in my car buying decision that's pretty much a wash. However, I don't want to pay (too much) more than I have to to maintain the car, one of the major reasons I do not consider a Porsche Turbo (been there, done that). The relatively low expense for maintaining an "exotic", is, after all, (just) one of the reasons for buying an NSX in the first place..

With reasonable driving habits (read not "tracking" the car) I've found out (here of course) I can get nearly 15K or more miles out of a set of tires. THAT I can live with (4K I can not). One set of $800-$1,000 tires per year I can handle. 3 or 4 sets I can NOT. :eek:

I actually much prefer a manual myself and find absolutely no problem driving in traffic with one. I've told many people (wondering how I can deal with a manual in heavy traffic), that after getting used to it, you don't even realize you're shifting and using the clutch.

But if I have to replace a clutch at $3500 every couple of years or so, THAT is unacceptable. Especially given I hardly ever even rev the car near its redline and almost never do any drag-racing type shifting.

So we each have our tolerance for expense of buying the car, insuring it and maintaining it. Where each of us draws the line (if we need to) is just a bit different, no ?

As usual, thanks for all the input guys (even Hugh :biggrin: ) :wink:

Back