• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Clutches

KGP

Legendary Member
Opinions on clutches for high torque/hp NSX applications. Share your thoughts and experiences please.

AJKS said:
This is the next clutch I will try. I have heard good things about them. Stage 3-5 sound mean:D
Cant wait till the Powergrip 2 goes out.....again:)

here is the link

http://www.specclutch.com/specMain.html

In looking at their website, I only see Stage I and II available for the early year NSX's. Do you know if they have any plans on making the higher stage clutches for the early year cars?

Hi Gene,

I have an Exede (sp?) carbon metalic disk clutch with a Jun ultralight fly.

I like it (once it broke in) but it is not exactly as smooth 100% as stock. I drove Dave D's NSX lightly to the quicky mart and I realized how smooth stock really is.

Took some getting used to but now it is a lot of fun and it hooks up well. Also - should last much longer then stock.

Let me know and I would be happy to give you a ride and let you drive it so you could see how you like it.

Also - I HATED IT until 400 miles or so and it finally broke in for me - FYI.

Sig said:
Matteni-
Do you have the "chatter" that others have complained of?

If you don't adjust your technique a little then you will have some chatter. It takes a little more technique because it hooks up so well. Thing is - if you are getting buttery smooth starts from a stop every time - you are probably slipping the clutch too much. I also can't help but wonder how much of the difference is the 7lb Jun flywheel that I have. I think it is a very sporty package that can (with a little practice) become almost as smooth as stock. If you had a 1 to 100 scale and 1 was a straight gear race car with no syncros/clutch and 100 was a new Honda Accord I would put a new 97+ NSX single plate clutch at a 70, a new double disk clutch in a 91-96 NSX at a 75, and a broken in Exede with Jun fly at a 50. I would also put the stage II comptech clutch at a 35 (due to pedal effort).

Bottom line for me is better acceleration (lower weight, rotational mass, and much better hook up during aggressive shifting). My wife does not complain - which is a good indicator of how I have master the new technique. Also - it was MUCH worse the first 3-4 months.

matteni said:
Hi Gene,

I have an Exede ...Let me know and I would be happy to give you a ride and let you drive it so you could see how you like it.
Nick, thanks for the offer. I really started the thread because another thread morphed into a high hp/tq clutch discussion and felt it would be better off with it's own thread in the FI forum.

I already made my clutch decision some weeks back, and once I get the car back I will be happy to report back. I already have driven a car with the Excedy, and liked the way it hooked up. Didn't like the chatter noise it made though. I'm going with a Spec stage two kevlar clutch. Supposedly it has no Excedy type chatter, and is rated at 520 tq. We shall see. ;)

Please do report back on your opinion of your clutch. I have the same question as far as a high hp and tourqe clutch solution.

Does anyone know of the highest reported torque numbers on a street car? What kind of clutch are they using?

I have been using the Clutch Masters stage 4, I have put 17,000 miles of high HP and high torque without any sign of slipage, also I had a Clutch Masters stage 3 in the car before that with the Bell twin turbo kit, I broke seven turbo's in the 15-17,000 miles but the clutch was in perfect condition. The Clutch Masters clutches also have the peddle fill of a stock clutch.

Gerry Johnson said:
I have been using the Clutch Masters stage 4, I have put 17,000 miles of high HP and high torque without any sign of slipage, also I had a Clutch Masters stage 3 in the car before that with the Bell twin turbo kit, I broke seven turbo's in the 15-17,000 miles but the clutch was in perfect condition. The Clutch Masters clutches also have the peddle fill of a stock clutch.

Hi Gerry,

I haven't heard much about the clutchmaster clutch.

What is the difference between stage 3 and stage 4?

Why did you switch if the stage 3 was in perfect condition?

Is this a single disk or twin disk clutch?

What is the disk material made out of?

Thanks...

You can contact Brad at AutoLogic. I believe he deals with ClutchMasters and has had a custom clutch made for his car. I got a feel of his clutch and I really liked it. Feels nothing like the CTPG2, yet not like the stock either. Just right IMHO.
Regards
- Z

Sig said:
What is considered a competitive price for the Clutchmasters Stage 4 Clutch for the early year NSX"s?

Does anyone have any new info on this clutch and the approximate price?

Not to start an old thread back up... But I used the "Search" button.:) And this is where it brought me:) Anyways, I just ordered the Clutch masters Stage 4. I will keep everyone informed on the holding capacities as soon as we put it to the test. As soon as we are happy with the performance of it, I will post our price on it...

BTW, any of you high HP/torque guys have any new feedback on your clutch experiences?

Clutches are like underwear.....boxers, briefs, crotchless, :tongue: thongs, low-riders, high-riders, etc. Everyone has a preference.

While I am not in Gene's FX league, my 435 FWHP (dyno sheet was posted on PRIME, based on an assumed 12% drivetrain loss, resulting in 383 un-tuned RWHP.....wonder what it is now with an "ideal" AFR curve :eek: ) has been transmitting this power through a factory Honda clutch for over 27k miles. When I had the tranny rebuilt last year, we pulled the clutch and there were virtually no blue spots on the steel surfaces. Also, only approximately 50% of the wear surface thickness was gone.

Elite said:
Not to start an old thread back up... But I used the "Search" button.:) And this is where it brought me:) Anyways, I just ordered the Clutch masters Stage 4. I will keep everyone informed on the holding capacities as soon as we put it to the test. As soon as we are happy with the performance of it, I will post our price on it...

BTW, any of you high HP/torque guys have any new feedback on your clutch experiences?

This particular clutch will hold good power.... in excess of 500 rwhp on my car at least. However, it is a bit finicky to get it properly adjusted to minimize chatter while retaining smooth throws in between gears.

Yeah, Kevin's (ktan) car we did, made 420 whp on the the stock clutch. And I know he is not nice to it:). Although I think its finally giving up. If everything goes as planned, I should be well beyond what Gene's car was putting down when he had it last(assumming he was in the 550-650whp range). So I am really asking what he, or anyone in that power range may be using...

... We just replied at the same time... Thanks for the reply Sig.

Good to know. Thanks again. Makes my brain feel better about the decision:) Any GJ customers out there with any input?

I have a Stage3 in mine now but it was for low boost, it was fine for 340RWHP. I am upgrading to Stage4 real soon here with my new GJ Sleeve motor, that is what GJ uses himself as well as TurboNSX (Brian) and possibly any of the following others: LEN3.8, NSXLover (Rob in Maryland); and also Gary Whipple. Len & Gary and myself will be actually driving them soon, I know TurboNSX told me the Stage 4 is like an on\off switch, takes a little getting use to but it grips like glue.

I'm running a Tilton 3 plate Carbon-Carbon clutch. The spec sheet that came with it indicated it was tested to over 1000 ft/lbs. It's as smooth as stock. However, if you've ever heard a JGTC car leave the pits you'll know what I mean when I say it can be a bit noisy. I've got plenty of pictures of the clutch and installation on my website www.mscperformance.com

Yeah, to be honest the Tilton was my first choice. But with the cost of the whole buildup adding up... The Tilton just got out of the budget range... I probably will go that route in the future as things progress... So, other than a decent amount of chatter, you say it drives like stock... pedal pressure and engagement? Not that I care really, I am quite used to on/off clutches... Just curious. And I suppose the overall weight is lighter than the stock setup. Any Idea of how much lighter?

Elite said:
Yeah, to be honest the Tilton was my first choice. But with the cost of the whole buildup adding up... The Tilton just got out of the budget range... I probably will go that route in the future as things progress... So, other than a decent amount of chatter, you say it drives like stock... pedal pressure and engagement? Not that I care really, I am quite used to on/off clutches... Just curious. And I suppose the overall weight is lighter than the stock setup. Any Idea of how much lighter?

No chatter at all, just the the distinct sound of carbon on carbon. Pressure is a bit higher and engagement is similar considering the weight (13 lbs total clutch AND flywheel). Certainly not as touchy as my wife's stock S2000.

Back