• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Come on Acura, MORE POWER!!!

I just got the July 2003 issue of Road and Track (great 1000+ mile review on the Enzo BTW) and the magazine falls open to page 43 with a picture of a 300+ bhp Ford Focus. Now come on, I don't care anymore about the great balance of power and handling, blah, blah, blah... I'm tired of having to watch out for Lancers, WRXs, and now Ford Focuses!!! Come on Acura, step to the plate and deliver more horsepower!

Thanks, I feel better now.

Ken, just give Gerry J. a call.

It's much quicker than waiting for Acura to do something (which is analogous to waiting for the Cubs to win the World Series...)

Nitrous
Turbo
Supercharger

All solutions for under 9K that will make your NSX fast as any other.

I have been doing some research on FI. In a short time from now within 3 months you will see 2-3 times the current FI options in kit forms.

I have said it once, I will say it again.
It does not matter that a car has 200 or 400 HP. What does matter is performance.
2002 NSX test
0-60 4.4
1/4 mile 12.8
175 top end

Do you see a 300 hp Focus doing that?
Would you want to do 175 in a Ford Focus?
Spend a few bucks and make your NSX do what you want it to. I did!

2002 NSX test
0-60 4.4
1/4 mile 12.8
175 top end

Where are you getting those numbers from? The only test I have seen was in Road and Track and that was 0-60 in 5.0.

NetViper said:
Where are you getting those numbers from? The only test I have seen was in Road and Track and that was 0-60 in 5.0.

Net Viper
I found the numbers in an EVO issue.
I also have seen MPG's from Japan Video Mag, with a 2002 NSX R running a Skyline GTR. The NSX R ran 12.78 (just a weight reduction and 4.235 gears). My 2002 is in the 12's by the way 11's with nitrous. I will be posting some times with slips in the next few weeks.

Road and Track IMO sometimes is way off base. My un modified 91 ran 13.2 bone stock, my 92 with 4.235 hears, RM exhaust and headers ran 13.0's in 1/4 all day long. You do have to drive the NSX like you stole it to get these times.

AJKS said:
Nitrous
Turbo
Supercharger
All solutions for under 9K that will make your NSX fast as any other.

That's exactly what I'm talking about, I get a bunch of sissy Fords and Subarus that I have to keep up with by spending a "reasonable" $9K! Acura should have an answer for these cars of the present like the one they had in 1991!

Ok
I will call Honda up and tell them we will pay 100+K for a car that has more power.

Lets see
91-96 25k-40K+9k=34k-49k

97-03 45k-85k+9k=54k-94k

So will you pay the 100+grand fo a new one?

My other point is HP dose not = speed......

AJKS said:

My other point is HP dose not = speed......

How are you defining speed? If you are talking about 1/4 mile.. i would say HP is a rather LARGE part. Considering a 5000 pound Merc Sedan can WHIPE out an NSX in the 1/4 mile (or a ferrari 550 for that matter)... i would say we could all use a little more raw HP.

Every car has its own limits.

Honda won't be giving the current generation NSX any more power because it was aimed at the 300hp range. Other cars in the market nowadays that has 280+hp are mostly FIed. The only other V6 3.2 NA engine that produces more power is the E46 M3 but don't forget that's quite many years since the C32B was introduced. With engine components upgrades for the NSX including high compression pistons, cam gears, flywheel, and a high strength timing belt, I'm sure the power would be relatively close to the M3. That's about as good as an NSX can get.

Turbos and Superchargers are not, IMHO, the answer to keep up with today's super cars. While SCs are harmful to the engine and Turbos basically changed the overall characteristics of the NSX. This generation NSX is "complete" in Honda's eyes and they wrapped up the project by introducing the NSX-R (the first one was Type-R).

Keep in mind the NSX is only a V6, the fact that it's naturally aspirated and can still make 0-60 in under 5 secs, that's the main selling point.

More power from NSX Motor

Well I'm sitting here looking at the July 2003 Super Street page 88 where they feature the AEM drag car - a Civic ProStock chassis with a front mounted 3.0 NSX motor pumping out around 1300hp via turbos and 12000rpm.

Not that we're ever going to see a factory car do this, but it should make us all feel a little better about bumping ours to 4-5-600hp and wondering if they'll blow up.

-ed
www.nsxbuilder.com

NA all the way

I'm with Ken -- I want to see more baseline, NA power before doo-dads like superchargers and NOS are added.

My dream NSX engine would be a 400 hp NA V8 that redlines at 9000 RPM.

Question,

While the Subaru Sti and Mitsu Lancer are pretty quick off the line (due to awd & a clutch-killing launch), doesn't the Nsx beat them once things start rolling? I think I read in car and driver that the street start for these cars(5-60) can be a second off from their respective best 0-60 numbers.

I would too love to see the Nsx with some big numbers just to shut up critics who NEVER drove an Nsx.

I think the NSX is pretty much done as of 2003, no? I had heard that there is no 04 model, so it may have been relegated to history.

If there *is* an 04, it had better be the next gen and have at least 400hp (dont really care how they make it).

The 4.4 0-60 had to have been an NSX-R. The R may be "just" weight reduction and gearing, but it is a lot quicker than the NSX-T. Still, though, the NSX-R isn't quick enough.

For me, getting the 03 was bittersweet. I have to admit that it does bug me that the Viper is cheaper and so much quicker it's ridiculous. Any forthcoming NSX is going to have to be solidly in the 11's in the 1/4 and below 4 0-60 to be taken seriously.

The fact that the NSX performs well price/dollar against the 911 won't cut it because the 911 is generally considered over-priced *and* floats the Porsche brand.

The "way quicker than it originally seemed" Evolution VIII and the forthcoming WRX STi are pushing the American cars to do things like produce the 5 second to 60, $20k Neon and this new 300hp Focus. That's definitely heating things up.

At least the ridiculous 12 second 1/4 mile AUTOMATIC trans Benzes are more expensive than the NSX.

The FI mod route is interesting, but on top of a new NSX, it makes the car a near 100k proposition. At this point, I havent seen enough empirical evidence (time slips) to really convince me that the FI is worth it. I have an auto for personal reasons, so my situation is really hopeless (although Mercedes, BMW, Corvette and Porsche all feel that auto and high performance can go together), but even on the 6-speed, is FI really enough? Is it at least putting the NSX in Corvette Z06 territory? I hear mixed things...

To me it wouldn't matter if the car can go any faster. I love them for the way they look and handle, and to me thats the bottem line! I am there for the cosmetic's. Remember when you all bought yours. It wasn't how fast it went ( maybe for a few ) but for the rest of you, it was the look that got you all excited. Just remeber that. NSX FOREVER!!!!:) :) :) :)

spookyp said:
I think the NSX is pretty much done as of 2003, no? I had heard that there is no 04 model, so it may have been relegated to history.

I too am starting to think that 2003 is the last year of our NSX. Who will buy a new NSX when Acura's own sedans, RL and TLS, will be putting out the same or more HP? The upcoming base TL is coming with 260hp, and the TLS should be at least 290hp. The new RL will probable be 300hp.

People that can only judge which car is better than another by figures on paper aren't worth talking to.

Sure there are plenty of cars with quicker 0-60 times. A car can be geared to do a 0-60 time really well. The Subaru's and EVO's of this world are rally cars, this is what they do, it's the type of racing they do.

The NSX 2nd gear is really high, we all know that. It affects the 0-60 time. Ask these people what there 2litre turbo powered cars do 0-80 or 0-100. For that matter what about 30-70 through the gears?

30-70 through gears, in the NSX is very quick. Having a discussion one day with a Porsche fan who showed me his 911 had better 0-60, 0-80 times than the NSX. I showed the better 30-70 times in the NSX. When your on the road, drop down into 2nd at 50mph accelerate up to 100mph (only needing to change at 80), show me another similar that can keep up.

I'm gone, before these guys get their turbos spinning!

Don't get started on how these things handle. On track the 4WD cars understeer so much, they can barely turn.

The NSX is all about experience. It's a fact that 996 TT and 360s are faster cars but after sitting in them, they don't compare to the NSX. The reason is because they are not as low to the ground as ours, the center of gravity is the ultimate feeling. I feel much faster in the NSX than any others. The only other experience that's comparable (despite McLaren F1 and F40, 50, Enzo) is the Murcielago. However, the biggest turn off is definitely the 4WD.

NsxJoy, I would not agree that the 911TT and F360 do not feel as fast as the NSX. They are both in my TOP3 list of the fastest experience (as a passenger) I EVER had on ANY car! I still remember when a ex-911 CUP racer and instructor drove me on the "new" 911TT in March 2000. SCARY FAST! The same happened in the several drives that my co-worker took with me on his Modena.
The only other car that feeled so fast is the DAX RUSH that I was mentioning yesterday in the Comparison forum. AWESOME!

spookyp
"Any forthcoming NSX is going to have to be solidly in the 11's in the 1/4 and below 4 0-60 to be taken seriously.".

Below 4? That is Enzo, Zonda and Porsche GT territory! :eek: I would say that a nice "real and consistent" (not a single instance taken by some magazine) 4.2/4.3 would be very very good!

gheba_nsx said:
spookyp

Below 4? That is Enzo, Zonda and Porsche GT territory! :eek: I would say that a nice "real and consistent" (not a single instance taken by some magazine) 4.2/4.3 would be very very good!

Unfortunately it is also Viper SRT10 territory and is bound to be corvette C6-Z06 territory as well... :confused:

If the new NSX can't match the Viper, it will need to be cheaper. And let's not pretend that the Viper, WRX and Evolution are straight line cars. These cars are matching or beating the NSX at the track as well. Looks are great, but you have to be able to back it up... For the last of the first gen it's not a big deal, but the next gen Needs to step it up in a big way.

I try hard to ignore "Trader" but I'll bite on this one... The Viper SRT-10 will destroy the 911TT, in every measurable way, is more exotic and costs 40K less. That's what you should be worrying about...

That is true... the Viper... but I do not consider am oner 8 liter engine the competition. That is crude and low tech. Mileage is terrible.

If you want some nice example of NA engines with a lot of torque, state-of-the-art-ones that should inspire the NSX, here they are! :d

Look at the torque! :eek:
V12 60° 5998cc (Ferrari Enzo): 657 Nm at 5'500 rpm
V12 65° 6064cc (BMW - Mc Laren F1): 650 Nm at 5'600
V12 60° 6192cc (Lambo Murcielago): 650Nm at 5'400
V12 60° 7010 (Mercedes AMG - Pagani C12S): 750Nm at 4'100 WHAT IS THIS? CRAZY! :D

gheba_nsx said:
If you want some nice example of NA engines with a lot of torque, state-of-the-art-ones that should inspire the NSX, here they are! :d

Look at the torque! :eek:
V12 60° 5998cc (Ferrari Enzo): 657 Nm at 5'500 rpm
V12 65° 6064cc (BMW - Mc Laren F1): 650 Nm at 5'600
V12 60° 6192cc (Lambo Murcielago): 650Nm at 5'400
V12 60° 7010 (Mercedes AMG - Pagani C12S): 750Nm at 4'100 WHAT IS THIS? CRAZY! :D

No argument here! An engine that can hang with any of those would certainly do the trick!

Back