• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

completed timing belt change

On a creeper under my car in new braunfels texas
:) :) :) Just finished my timing belt/water pump change 20 min. ago. No leaks, no sputters, runs better than before(did valve adj. also and they were all way on the loose side) Thanks for all the great advice from everyone. It is definately a tough job even for a good back yard mech. There is alot of places to make mistakes, I double and triple checked all my work and torque settings. I worked on and off for 7 days. Between family events during turkday weekend and painting some engine parts while they were off. I would say I spent a total of 13 hours on the project, 4 hours for the valve adj.(the most pain in the but part of the whole job; the total time includes poking around time to look at eveyrthing and scratching my head time) All in all a fun project, but a little nerve rattling when you crank the engine for the first time. Thanks again everybody, special thanks to Larry Bastanza for emailing me the step by step write up of his :p

OMG!! are you saying you did it yourself? heck, I can't even find the location of my engine and I've had it for quite sometime now :D IMPRESSSIVE>...good job!!!!

Chris - I knew you would be able to do it, as you are a much braver soul than most. Like Poohbear, I'm wondering where the engine went when I open the hood!:eek:

Did your car sound butter smooth after the valve adjustment? I still think I need another adjustment, but I don't want to spend the money again if it isn't going to make a difference.

Let me know if you want another car to work on - I'll drive up to NB to watch! I'll even supply the beer (and dog food for the new pup!)

Todd

chriswtx said:
Thanks again everybody, special thanks to Larry Bastanza for emailing me the step by step write up of his :p

Would you please post the instructions Larry sent you here or PM them to me. Also, what did you use to hold the harmonic balancer in place to remove the bolt? If you used the tool from Honda, please post the part number. I can't seem to find the number any where.

I plan to do the timing belt soon to and am trying to get prepared.

Thanks

Chris,

Great, Glad it all came together for you. Yes, this is not an oil change!!

I Grok NSX,

Either Chris or I can send it to you, just private me at [email protected] I planned on giving this to Lud for the FAQ, but it is not finished:).

LarryB

I Grok NSX : I am not sure of the part # for the crank pulley holder, but when i did mine I just called the dealer and told them exactly what I needed and the supplied it to me, so you may not even need the number just call the dealer.

Do you still have a copy of the step by step instruccion on replacing the timming belt ?? My car has 140,000 and I have no idea if it has ever been replaced, so I am planning on doing it.

FYI - if you kiss butt to the dealer they will loan it to you for a day or two. BTW it is the exact same tool as the 2 gen ago TL (or Gen I if you will). This is good to know in case they gig NSX owners but somehow feel sorry for 2 gen old TL drivers!

:)

BTW - I watched Barn Man perform this operation on my car in my garage in about 4 hours (valves, tune, timing belt & water pump & hoses) and I would rather cut an entire golf course with finger nail clippers then attempt this on my own!

Timing belt

I've looked through the service manual and the owners manual for my '94 and can only find a note that says Replace timing belt at 90,000 "This is only a recommendation." I can't find reference to the 6/7 year reference. Can someone direct me to it specifically?

I spent around $420 that includes t-belt, alt belt, ac belt, water pump, valve cover seals, spark plug rubber gromets, spark plugs(NGK-BKR7EIX-11 from clubplug.com @ $6.50 each) , tube of honda bond(I used all OEM parts from Acura). If I did it again I would get the valve adjusting tools also to save time.

sanchez2002

Thanks, it apperar to me that the valve adjustment tool can be easily made with a 12 point 10mm socket and a screwdriver modified to the right lenght.

maintanance schedule

LeftLane: Thanks for the note. I see what the NSX cite list says. Neither my owners manual nor the workshop manual say it this way. Just 90,000 with no indication of time. Wonder why the owners manual wouldn't mention time?

Back