• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

comptech exhaust noise?

I have a comptech exhaust with test pipes & dc sports headers.At the end of acceleration or on suddenly letting off the throttle it emits a bzzzzzz/buzzing bee sound.My mechanic said it might be from not having any cats.There is also a small(4 " ) dent in the middle of the cannister on the muffler.I thought maybe this could have something to do with it.Has anyone else experienced this?Is it normal?Insight would be appreciated as this bumblebee sound at the end of such an aggressive note is driving me insane.

The Comptech exhaust is prone to blowing out the center baffle and causing a resonance. The sound is caused by a weld breaking loose and over time the metal weekens and ratles become loader, before mine was repaired it actually had a piece of the baffle seperate and rattle around in the can. Comptech will reweld in a new canister to your old tips and connecting pipes to repair the problem. They will even do it without charging you for a whole new exhaust, but close I think it was something like $600.00 plus shipping.

If it is something you want just call Comptech and talk to someone in tech support.

Best of luck,

Dave

Thats what was happening to my Comptech. I bought it used and installed it. Shortly after installing it, I started hearing sounds like you described. Then all the sudden, the exhaust got really really loud. Turns out the exhaust canister blew! When I looked under the car, there was a big hole in the canister. I didn't like the sound of the CT, so I bought a new Flowmaster muffler and plan on having that put in where the CompTech can is.
Regards
Z

FOYOASS,let me know how that flowmaster replacement goes,please.I was actually thinking of doing the same.I was wondering what kind of sound it would put out.Ever heard that on an NSX before?

I have the DC sport headers too. The early models where pressure fitted meaning mine where not welded together but pressed together where one sleeve fit inside the other.

I always heard this rattling and it drove me nuts so I removed them and lo and behold - they came apart in my hands. I had a custom exhaust shop tig weld them with a bead all the way around where they were pressed together for $100 and problem was solved - allthough it was a major pain in the but to do with only hand tools under small jack stands.

Just another possible answer - let us know what you find.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

I have the same problem with my CT Ex. Under 6k miles on the damn thing!

Mine buzzes at low rpm when moving from a complete stop. The sound is driving me crazy.

------------------
Please visit http://www.nsxparts.com. The best place to buy and sell parts for your NSX.

The Flowmaster provides a very raspy almost V8 like sound. Very aggressive without cats. I noticed a drop in performance when changing from my blown out Comptech unit. I have since moved to a Taitec JGTC.

Back