• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptech Supercharger

Hello all.
Question: What are the symptoms of a slipping belt on a comptech super charger?
I know that they should be tensioned. I am just trying to figure out if other symptoms are caused by a slipping belt.
Would the car feeling down on power be a side effect?
Thanks
Len

Yes, a slipping belt on any supercharger will cause the car to be down on boost (and thus power).

Hey Len, do you see less boost on the gauge? Have you tried the belt twist test yet? You can use mine for comparison, assuming it's not also loose. We need to get together anyway. An as FX says, you may also see more dust from it if slipping.

Loose supercharger belt diagnosed with boost gauge

I had this very problem on my car. The thing that I noticed was loss of boost at high RPM's. The boost was falling from 5 down to 2 above 6k RPMs. Curiously, I could not detect any loss of power using the "seat of my pants". Mark Basch tightened the belt, and voila, no loss of boost! In fact, I now have about 1 lb of boost more than I had before with no loss at higher RPM's. Running 6 - 7 lbs of boost now. This example illustrates the value of a boost gauge. I have never understood why someone would install a supercharger and not have a way to monitor it's performance. The boost gauge made sense to me, and I am glad now that it has proven it's worth in detecting a loss of boost, which turned out to be a loose supercharger belt. Can't do much about the seat of my pants. Guess I need a gauge for that as well.

Again guys thanks. I am going to try all the suggestions.
Steve I will be in touch. I want to get the 9lb kit installed.
I know I can get a leakdown and compression check done.
Just wanted to get some preliminaries out of the way.

I don't have a boost gauge, I have it wire for a gauge, It is also something I plan to get installed.

Steve I am pretty busy this weekend. Lucy's B-day, our anniversary, Youngest daughters birthday. And a funeral to go to.
I want to get together and learn to turn a wrench on this thing.

What effects would vacum leaks have on the car? At idle it hunts sometimes when it's cold.

I want to get the cooler running spark plugs if someone can remember the model #.

Len

Last edited:
Loose SC belt

Fellow Boosters and Boostettes, The procedure for checking the belt tension on a CTSC is the same as on a BBSC. The reason for this is because the alternator is the weak link. The SC and A/C can both take twice or more times the bearing loading of the alternator, but since its the same belt, the altenator loading must be the more respected. Procedure is to check the tension by grabbing the belt at its greatest length between two pulleys that you can reach- i.e. between the alt and a/c on the BBSC, and attempt to twist the belt 90 degrees. Effort is hard to describe, being so subjective, but basically if you can move it 90 degrees without your fingers turning white where the blood runs away from the pressure, its not too tight. If you can move it past 90 degrees without really having to work fairly hard at it, its too loose. A boost gauge is the ultimate. Adjust the belt a turn at a time untill it stops increasing boost, if it seems loose. If you find its too tight, or fear it might be, loosen it a turn and see if boost drops off. If it doesn't, try again and again untill it looses even the least perceptable amount, then tighten it one turn.

Good Luck, and as always, call or e- if you still need help.

Mark Basch

Back