• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptechs Best NSX not near good enough (C&D)

Originally posted by ALLAN:
z18,
first off comparing a countach whose chassis was designed in the early 1970's to a late 1980's early 90's car isnt really fair.

My exact criticism of the Esprit, BTW, and yet this car was OK to compare to the '90s NSX. Now that I think of it, the Esprit may actually have been designed in the late '60s. Man, that thing is sure a better comparison to the NSX than a '94+ JDM MR2. LOL! Also, note that no one commented on the fact that the Esprit, until recently, also derived its power from a 4 cyl. turbo motor, just like... um .... another car.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

Boostedmr2 you may fail to realize this but the first gen MR2 was actually a Lotus design that toyota took over when toyota owned part of Lotus. So your car has alot of history behind, by the way I like the mr2 just never got my hands on one. And no hostility was directed towards you

Originally posted by docjohn:
Fwiw, my na motor 96 flexable flyer targa with r compound tires is similar in speed and lap times to 355 challenge cars on slicks.That is my observation,only the 360 challenge is another level of speed and easily passed me.I don't want to give the Stern analogy away too quickly,think about Howards' brand of humor and ask yourself why it's ok for him to say the things he does.

you must have been racing against some kit cars then with stickers on it if your stock nsx-t and were blowing by 355 challenges. Either that or give me some of the stuff you've been smoking
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
Boostedmr2 you may fail to realize this but the first gen MR2 was actually a Lotus design that toyota took over when toyota owned part of Lotus. So your car has alot of history behind, by the way I like the mr2 just never got my hands on one. And no hostility was directed towards you

Good point, Bill. Another interesting bit of trivia: take a close look at the taillights on any newer (up to '01 model year) Esprit. There's a Toyota logo stamped on them. One of the lingering remnants of that project collaboration.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

[This message has been edited by BoostedMR2 (edited 18 August 2002).]

Okay, this is too long a thread for me to read from start to finish, so please don't mind this post if this has already been discussed.

I'm thinking that the NSX is underpowered just because of the 280hp restriction in japan.

I have a few properties in japan and the locals never have any complaints with the NSX being underpowered, because to them its the max they can get. I mean, some people say its a "gentlemen's agreement" that they impose on themselves, but no matter what, it still has an effect.

Sometimes I think, what if they had no silly agreement to begin with? Would a type R NSX have changes other than lighter parts, better suspension, and aerodynamics? What if this 280hp agreement was a global agreement? Can you imagine what it would feel like to drive a Z06 with 280hp? Or any other high end sports car with only 280 hp?

The NSX is a japanese sports car, not a European or American powerhouse. As far as japanese sports car goes, its still the one of the best.

From the looks of this thread, I know I will be flamed one way or another, but this is just my 2 cents and was not meant to offend in anyway.

------------------
2001 NSX-T
- Bilstein Shocks
- '02 OEM Wheels

well im married also, and my wife loves the nsx. for that matter she loves the diablo and the lotus, and drives them both on a regular basis. if she had to have a least favorite it would be the lotus, due to the fact she has a hard time seeing over the dash pod.

in terms of the lotus chassis being designed in the 60's, i dont care if it was in the 50's. the car's handling is incredible, same goes true for the braking.
in my real world experience, not on the track, it is miles ahead of the nsx in three catagories..1.power 2.handling 3.braking. the nsx excells in 1.seating position 2.shifter feel 3.build quality. the lotus is far more exciting to drive. maybe my opinion will change once the nsx is supercharged/turbocharged and widebodied. but for now, thats how i feel.
the mr2 is a nice car, albeit more for a 16 year old than a 30 year old. i am more into these cars than youd think, i even recieve all the jdm magazines straight from japan.

many of you say that i bash the nsx, and in some ways i do. these are my true opinions of it and similarly classed vehicles, that whether you like them or not, you must atleast admit that someone who is considering the purchase of an nsx, could consider a porsche or lotus a viable alternative. most people considering these cars are not considering 360's 355's or lamborghinis, that is a step beyond. that being said, its also true that someone contemplating purchasing a nsx,porsche or lotus, would not enter a toyota mr2 into that equation. no matter how fast it was, how well it handled etc.

this being said i am now going to take my crappy rolex wearing, nsx bashing ass out for a spin in my crappy diablo. the feeling of blowing those 335's off in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear always brings a smile to my face!

Originally posted by khuezee:

Plus, you get more chicks in the NSX...haha, never had a problem getting chicks either way, but the more the merrier.

Hey Khue, It's no fair you're already getting more 'cherry pies' than you can possibly 'eat', so how about sharing some of your 'wealth' with all of us here (namely moi)??
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Netviper how can you base a car on interior alone? As a matter of fact the 355 surpasses the NSX in that respect as well. Everything is covered in real genuine cowhide not imitation vinyl like the NSX.

Do you see me knocking your timex? My seiko even has a built in calculator. Now thats more bang for the buck.

Originally posted by bill92nsx:
Netviper how can you base a car on interior alone? As a matter of fact the 355 surpasses the NSX in that respect as well. Everything is covered in real genuine cowhide not imitation vinyl like the NSX.

Well, the fact is you do all of your driving from the inside of the car. So, that is why I said I would prefer my NSX. I really wanted to love it, but the fact is, it felt cheap for a 129,000 car. (let the flames begin)

The NSX fits like a glove. It has perfect ergonomics and it is very comfortable over long trips.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

PS.. my timex works 100 meters under water.. can your seiko do that?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 18 August 2002).]

Well, I know a little bit about the Gen1 and Gen2 MR2s. Before I got my NSX the only two "car people" at my department at IBM both drove Mark IIs; James Chung had a nice 1993 hardtop in that grey/blue metallic color, and Winston had a 1995 white T (a rare one (1 of 13, I think, for that year).

I went to MR2 rallies, and brought my '95 Trans Am - aside from a lot of silly hot-rod wannabees wanting me to race them (all of which I politely declined), they were for the most part understanding and accepting.

I got a ride in Winston's car (it was the first Japanese car I had ever sat in), and it was fun, and very different from what I was used to. The turbo whine did get annoying, though. Always sounded like a police siren as it started to spool up.

Then I bought the NSX, having never driven one, and never driven a stick regularly before. Winston drove it from Dallas back to Austin for me. He "taught" me how to drive a stick that night, and it's been my only car since.

I went from Austin to the SE regional MR2 meet in Birmingham with 6 other MR2s from Central Texas. I would have gone again, but he wasn't able to attend, and I didn't want to make the trip on my own. While there I let the event organizer, owner of "The Beast", take it out for a drive - he said that he loved it, and his wife loved it, and his wife wished she could get one. It was more comfortable, she said.

Having said this, hopefully you will get an idea of where I am coming from, I am somewhat familiar with MR2s. I even won an MSD ignition set, that I gave to Winston, when in Birmingham (got a kick out of that!)

Once, before a weekend meet, my car was a mess, so Winston offered to drive it to his place and wash it for me, and I got to take his MR2 when I got off work. His car has a few upgrades, stock internals and mostly stock parts, but the boost has been dialed up a few PSI (want to say 14 or 16, but it's been awhile). Anyway, while coming down the street I had to make a left, in front of rush hour traffic. The feeling as I was about to wreck his car as I realized how little power that engine put out while revved low was amazing - I have never been so afraid before in my life; I knew how much the car meant to him, and I floored it. Luckily, the turbo started to kick in around half way through the intersection, and I made it through. But it was close.

Having driven the MR2, it's a decent car with decent power to weight ratio. It handles pretty well, but it's no Miata (the MR2s near here are pretty active in the autocross group, and I've seen the times). However, for day to day driving, I could not stand the MR2 - the lack of low end torque, IMO, makes this car unsuited for commuting.

So, from my perspective, you can see why I don't drive an MR2. They are fine cars, as are most other cars out there. To compare them to an NSX is fine, but you need to define in what way you are comparing them. Stock vs. stock, I don't see many ways that they can keep up with the NSX (sorry to say). Modified, an MR2 can drastically change it's position, but to be honest, for a car I drive, I don't care so much about 0-60 or dyno pulls, I care about is the car fun to drive, is it reliable, is it comfortable, and am I embarassed taking someone that's not into cars out to lunch in it, etc. For me, that's why the NSX is great - it's fun for me, but to everyone else I know I just drive a Honda, and they don't care one way or the other. It's comfortable, easy to drive, and quick enough to outrun 18 wheelers on the highway and idiots on the local roads.

YMMV, JMO, etc, etc...

Originally posted by burbel:
YMMV, JMO, etc, etc...

Thanks for the thoughtful response, burbel. You have made a step towards re-establishing my former high regard for the NSX community.

I had my car shipped over to Birmingham this past May for the SE2002 meet. In fact, my car was parked in Jim's garage with the Beast prior to my flying in.

Did Jim happen to take you for a ride in his car? I unfortunately never got around to getting a ride in it, but by all accounts it is breathtaking.

Incidentally, Jim is a perfect example of a kindred spirit. I'm glad you brought him up.

Here is a guy in his fifties who has owned everything from a $500k Porsche to Lamborghinis and Ferraris over the years:

http://www.mr2beast.com/future.htm

... yet his car of choice is a MKII MR2. Maybe he and I are both insane, but you would be hard pressed to meet a more down to earth, knowledgeable and affable guy. I consider him a dear friend.

Suffice it to say, Jim is not your average teenager that owns an MR2, and neither am I. On his site, Jim explains how he spent more than the price of an NSX fixing up his MR2.

More on Jim here: http://www.mr2beast.com/index.htm

I for one applaud Jim and guys like him whether they are tuning MR2s, VWs or BMWs (or even NSXs) but this undertone of complacency and superiority expressed by a few members of this site really stands in sharp contrast to not only Jim's and my enthusiasm for cars, but also level headed NSX guys like burbel.

Thanks for posting, burbel.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

Look David.. I am sure your car is very nice for an MR2. I would probably like it if I drove it, no question. But to me, and to nearly everyone on this board, it would never compete with an NSX. And when I say compete, I do not mean in a straight line or a track. I am talking about everything that comes with owning the car. The emotional relationship NSX owners have for our car is incredible. We love the feel, the performannce, the day to day driveability, the looks, the sounds. For some of us, it just doesn't get much better than this.

So, yes, your car might be fast and nice for you, but for the rest of us, we would rather talk about the NSX than an MR2. After all, you are on an NSX forum. I don't think ANY of us would go on an MR2 Forum and say how much better our cars are. We just like to share our thoughts and opinions.. thats all.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 18 August 2002).]

David,

After giving it some thought, I think I may have misjudged you.

I thought about it and viewed your participation here more in the light of someone just wanted to hang out with us NSX owners.

For example, if we had a NSX run and you were to hang out with us, I would hope that everyone would be gracious and open minded to your enthusiasm.

I would also hope that if someone didn't like your car, or anyone's else's car on the run, that they would keep their thoughts to themselves.

These forums, however, tend to bring out the worst of people and they write things here that they would never dream of saying to someone in person.

Having said that, I think you understand by now that your attempt to DIRECTLY compare your MR2 to an NSX is just destined for antagonistic responses and conflict.

As I said, I looked at your car and it's nicely done and you should be proud of your efforts.

It's so hard to compare vehicles and it's also so easy to get hung up on performance stats. If you've ever been on a track you know that so much depends on the driver.

So much of this bickering is just boring. Some of my friends put down any car that's Japanese, while other friends put down Corvettes, and so on and so on. Heck, I'm rebuilding an old 77 Accord (see link below) and I've even gotten criticism from younger "ricers". It's just so lame.

So, FWIW, and speaking for myself only, welcome to this forum and feel free to hang out with us.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

still jabbering about the mr2? i think austin powers said it best:
"i gotta take a crap, i gotta turtle head pokin out!

i also seem to recall that when the mr2 came out many people critisized its handling. one european magazines cover story was"how toyota spoiled the new mr2"

i also remember many people saying the crx si was a better car even though the mr2 was faster.

i checked out the site with that other mr2, atleast his looks decent. as far as the guy owning porsches,ferrari,lamborghini etc, it looks like the ones he had where from the 60's and early 70's. it also looks like they were from his business, not that he went out, purchasd them for himself to enjoy. i guess if my recollection of a ferrari was a 180hp dino, i too would be impressed by a hopped up mr2.

Originally posted by NetViper:
Look David.. I am sure your car is very nice for an MR2. I would probably like it if I drove it, no question. But to me, and to nearly everyone on this board, it would never compete with an NSX. And when I say compete, I do not mean in a straight line or a track. I am talking about everything that comes with owning the car. The emotional relationship NSX owners have for our car is incredible. We love the feel, the performannce, the day to day driveability, the looks, the sounds. For some of us, it just doesn't get much better than this.

So, yes, your car might be fast and nice for you, but for the rest of us, we would rather talk about the NSX then an MR2. After all, you are on an NSX forum. I don't think ANY of us would go on an MR2 Forum and say how much better our cars are. We just like to share our thoughts and opinions.. thats all.

Doesn't htis sound like the Ferrari owners talking down to the NSX owners. Your car doesn't have soul, it doesn't have the feel, the look, the sound, blah,blah,blah..... Can't you guys understand that Dave is a car enthusiast and his choice of car happens to be an MR2? He has not knocked the NSX in anyway, only tried to compare his car to it. You guys call yourself auto enthusiasts, you should all be ashamed of yourself. Being an auto enthusiast does not mean getting blinded by the marque or make of a car. It means having respect for every single car out ther, some cars fare better than others, some cars tend to strike some chords with their respective owners. Like I have said before, Does owning an NSX make you feel better and sleep better at night, if so then more power to you. Again what it boils down to at the end of the day is whatever puts that grin from ear to ear on your face when you are behind the steering wheel. For some it is the NSX, for others it isn't. But do not trash any other car because you don't personally like. Most people, from what I gather just blab heresay without ever even being or driven the car they are trashing. It makes absolutely no sense. Me personally, I love alot of cars, some more than the NSX and some less, but will not and have not ever trashed anyones car, be a diablo or a riced up civic on the road. I can claim to be an auto enthusiast with an open mind. I will give any car a chance. If it isn't my cup of tea I just pass on it and end it there, rather than gloat over myself saying how mine is better and this is better and that....Anyway to sum it up most of you are acting like the Supra owners that you yourselves detest and you should really be ashamed of yourselves. Saying that bring on the artilery. I am waiting.

PS Your timex can go under water (my seiko can too up to 50 feet) but when are you really under 400meters of water? Really now, comeon
biggrin.gif

Bill,

I consider myself an auto enthusiast. If I met DavidV and he was in his MR2, I would want to check it out and go for a ride. What I wouldnt want is for him to start telling me how much better his car is than my NSX and that I should have bought an MR2 because I could rice it out and make it faster than my NSX for a lot less money. nuff said.

Wow, spend a few days finishing up B-School and return to see we've spiraled totally out of control! After the final leadership seminar, I headed off to Pebble Beach to look at some fabulous cars, both old and new. Sauber Mercedes, Silk Cut Jag, GT-40 and Cadillac Cien (sp?). All VERY nice cars. BTW, the Cadillac photos don't do it justice. If you like older cars, classics, etc., they were there too. Were they better than all the cars previously mentioned? Who knows...

In the end, what we all share is an enthusiasm for cars (and possibly not much else
wink.gif
). It's pretty pointless to argue about which car is best in the abstract because we all care about different things. Price might be a constraint - or exclusivity - or performance - or cachet. But since we all have different decision criteria, we seem to be talking past each other. In any event, let's keep in mind that this is an enthusiast's board so let's keep the discourse civil and look to each car's positives and dispense with the insults.

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 18 August 2002).]

David, thanks for reminding me; I was horrible with names, and I couldn't remember Jim's. My memory is not what is used to be. 8P Unfortunately, I never got a ride in the beast - when I was there it was just there for show; I don't remember if he drove it there or not, but it was in between upgrades. Something akin to the raceaflais as explained on nsxfiles.
smile.gif

I think with cars in general it's easy for folks to have "intelligent" conversations comparing two cars that they don't own against each other; however, adding in a car that one person owns changes it completely. You never want to hear that something is better than what you have. And, like mentioned above, these "anonymous" postings on the Internet tend to be more heated than personal dealings.

As an aside, do you by chance have the MR2DIE4 video from 2000? I think my car was in it. (I got to drive the person making the video around the track so he could record the other cars, and I got to "blow" past all the MR2s on a racetrack.
biggrin.gif
Does that count as a mass kill story?

Also, if anyone in Central Texas owns a Ferrari, I would be glad to settle the FXXX vs. NSX thread by getting a ride or driving your car, since I have never in my life sat in a working Ferrari (the 308 at the auto museum just doesn't count). Lambos too. How's that for being fair???
biggrin.gif

Jimbo, Burbel, bill92NSX, Number 9 and others. Thanks for the show of solidarity. Any of you guys can feel free to send me an email sometime or give me a call and I'd be happy to shoot the breeze, or if possible, go for a drive and talk cars. Beers on me after. :)

"NetViper" that goes for you too. Trust me, I won't talk your ear off about how you should have bought an MR2 and "riced it out" instead of an NSX just as I haven't talked down about anyone's cars on this forum.

We all make our choices and as car enthusiasts, we should be able to respect that. I respect your choosing an NSX and would never criticize your choice. As I said, the NSX was on my own personal short list of cars to buy at one point, and after a bit of soul searching, I chose not to go for it. Trust me, that don’t make me a bad guy or any less of a car enthusiast. I still think the NSX is one of the best cars Japan has ever produced -- bar none -- an get this, a far more innovative and cutting edge design than the MR2.

Burbel, I think I know the scene you are talking about in the film. If you're interested, you can buy a copy at: http://www.clubmr2.com/storez.htm

Guys, this has been a fun way to kill a weekend, but I need to go spend some time with my wife. I'll check back periodically for updates, but it has been an, ahem, involving and insightful exchange, if nothing else.

Oh, and I'll try to make a point of attending the next NSX rally or track day here in NorCal if you guys give me the heads-up on it and don’t mind having me along. I've enjoyed meeting several of you folks at other NSX events including the Basch Boost Demo day in Daly City and Concorso Italiano this past Friday. Maybe an in-person meeting will convince the remaining skeptics that I am not in fact the antichrist.

-- DavidV
biggrin.gif

www.boostedgroup.com

Back