• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Comptechs Best NSX not near good enough (C&D)

I forgot what this thread is about,but I think the nsx does have the BEST stock seats of any sportscar.!So we can sleep at night,hopefuly not at the wheel.

i love domestic violence.
iyla....wasup with insulting the retards..
og i cant stop lol!
i think everyone need to chill about nsx this nsx that ,
if nsx was a bargain and cheap .
then everyone would own one.
that wont make it so special no more.
i think the majority of people would not sell out that much money for a car that wear an acura badge. just my opinion .
nsx is not the best bang for buck car ,
but its the best all around car ...
thats good enough for me .
but if i suddenly become rich ,
i definetly own every special sport car and modify it ....i know you guys would tooo...
but for now my nsx gets me around from point a to point b with a smile.

Originally posted by G-man:
You guys act like you are surprised by their findings... come on. Each and every on eof you who actually own one of these cars and are honest with yourself will have to ultimately come to grips with the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of the NSX.

These tests are often quite unfair, biased and ultimately prove what they set out to prove... and that is that "My Daddy can beat up your Daddy!". These things always end up being a war of words over nothing.

I am reminded that there are more ways to judge a car than 0-60 times, lap times and power to weight ratios. While these numbers are great, they are just that NUMBERS! They don't mean anything. They are just a way to "keep score". Keep in mind that a Corvette will always be a Corvette and nothing more.

Ok, with that said, I have to hold up another shining example of proven NSX inferiority. For those of you with low self-esteme, you may want to stop reading now.
smile.gif

This list turned me on to "Best Motoring" video series where volume 1 was about the superiority of the TypeR NSX. Well, I bought the whole series and if you look at Volume 2, you will see that a stock 2001 BMW M3 runs circles around the various NSXs that they can throw at it as well as a number of other cars. Even a Subaru Legacy beat the NSX!

Face it, the NSX is "NOT fastest, NOT quickest, NOT lightest, NOT shortest stopping, NOT cheapest, NOT most expensive, NOT best looking, NOT ugliest, etc... I could go on forever. It does NOTHING better than any other car in the world, but it does a many of these things as good or better than most and provides it all wrapped up in a package that is fun and easy to drive everyday with the reliability of a Honda Civic. Let's not lose sight of why we like these cars, they are great to drive everday... some of you ONLY have 1 car.
smile.gif

Well, that is my $0.02 worth. Feel free to disagree with me. Feel free to flame me. Or feel free to finally admit to yourself that the NSX may not be the best car in the world... but it just may be the best car in the world... for you!
wink.gif

Gordon
2002 BMW M3

I will have to go home and watch my copy of Best Motoring Vol#2, but it wasn't a Legacy that was trouncing everything was it...wasn't it the Evo VII which beats everything regularly except for the new Porsche TT which barely edged it out in Vol#3? Also, neither the M3, nor anything else ran "circles" around anything. It amazes me how person A can watch or read something and interpret things 100% opposite from person B. If anything, the Best Motoring series shows that cars like the Lancer and other JDM's can compete with the world's best even with their severe horsepower disadvantage.

I do agree with you though that people should buy and then enjoy whatever car they get, and not spend their time and energy bench racing and comparing their car with others.... just drive the damn thing already.

This list turned me on to "Best Motoring" video series where volume 1 was about the superiority of the TypeR NSX. Well, I bought the whole series and if you look at Volume 2, you will see that a stock 2001 BMW M3 runs circles around the various NSXs that they can throw at it as well as a number of other cars. Even a Subaru Legacy beat the NSX!

Not to nitpick, but I'm a big collector of best motoring tapes (oh, if only I could speak Japanese
smile.gif

For the last couple of years, they've typically either used a Type S or Type S Zero when the pit the NSX against other cars.

My recollection after watching, oh, 20+ of these videos is that the Type S typically is mid-pack or a little better. It does well, but not spectacularly well against other typically Japanese or German cars. Personally, I think these are generally decently fair comparisons: The Type S (or, as I like to call it, the Japanese Zanardi
smile.gif
) is not the base model, and neither are most cars they put it up against.

All that said, when they pull out the S-Zero (which they do fairly often) it pretty much smokes everything, unless they pull out Porsche GT3s or Ferraris are something. It REALLY seems a lot faster AND the handling is amazing.

So, anyway, not to nitpick, but the NSX, depending on model, does very well in the Best Motoring track tests which are usually at Suzuka or other Japanese tracks. And the S-Zero is virtually always the winner when pitted against other Japanese cars.

I do want to say that, IMHO, the Best Motoring Videos are truly the best 'tests' for sports car fans and enthusiasts... certainly far better than the typical Road & Track test. 0-60, quarter mile, skidpad, slalom... these are all nifty numbers... but take a bunch of professional race car drivers, put them in obtainable, stock sports cars and race them against each other on world class tracks. To me, these results are what really matter... what really show are the strengths of each car together, in total. I think the only 'flaw' might be any disperate skill levels amongst all the drivers. The only interesting thing about the BM videos is that I can't recall even ONE with a Corvette or Viper... does anyone know of one? They have Japanese cars, German cars, and Italian cars (heh, the Axis powers), but no American. If anyone has a tape with a Corvette or Viper, please let me know the month/year. Thanks.

One of the cooler R&Ts I think from a year or so ago did something similar, and raced most current sports cars on the same track, the same day, and the 360 came in first, and the Z06 second. I found this test far superior to what is usually depicted in these magazines. It's too bad they didn't drive a Zanardi or a Type S Zero
smile.gif

-Z18

I saw a BM video with a Viper RT/10 in it. Can't remember which volume/year, but I DO remember the driver of the car. Naoki Hattori was the name. Fairly good driver, but no match against Gan-San or Tsuchiya IMHO. The Viper didn't fare well in that race when pitted against NSX-R, driven by Gan-San. If I remember correctly the Viper finished 3rd/4th? And guess who won? Go fig.
wink.gif

BTW the track raced was the Tsukuba Circuit.

[This message has been edited by Zanardi 50 (edited 14 August 2002).]

Originally posted by ALLAN:

I'm still not sure whether or not im going to supercharge, turbocharge, nos or what. maybe if i turbo, ill look into building my own kit. not sure if ill go internal or just stay bolt on.

Allan, I think you need to make a High-output NSX to run in this Car and Driver competition next year and smoke the comptech car! Bump up the displacement to 3.5 L, Go twin turbo, 600 HP, brembo's etc. Now that car would do well! The only thing they did not allow in the competition was NOS.

I am axious to see your finished product.

Did you ever get that 993 Turbo you were talking about picking up in your lotus review?

Major Stoner, who the heck is Ed Gein?

What a mess of words! Do they all actually exist in the English language. Where did you learn such a command of the langauge? I would say that you have chosen your drugs very successfully.

[This message has been edited by wildrice (edited 14 August 2002).]

no, i never did get the 993tt i wanted. the seller backed out. i'll get one eventually.

600hp out of the nsx from what ive been told would be real hard to do reliably. look at gerry's nsx, my favorite nsx out there by the way, he's supposed to be 550hp and he got smoked by a z06 with from what i heard, a few minor mods. also, by next years car and driver challenge, the top cars will be even faster. truthfully, id like to have my old porsche to run in it, because in the accelerarion tests, it would destroy all of those cars, easily. handling and braking i dont know about.
maybe i could bring the lambo and hide the nos!

maybe i could bring the lambo and hide the nos!

You know they asked a bunch of ferrari and lambo owners to come out for the test and none showed. Maybe you should bring the lambo anyway and just dont use the NOS!

I didn't hear about Geri's car getting smoked by a Zo6. It would have to be pretty mod'd to beat a car running low 11's in the quarter, i would think.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
If you're biased, you go and find the only magazine article that has all the other cars 0.4 seconds faster 0-60 than most other magazine articles, and the NSX 0.4 seconds slower 0-60 than most other magazine articles.

Heck, I bet if you are looking to diss ANY car, you could find a magazine somewhere that has results that are worse than all the other magazines. But most of us have better things to do than to go into forums for enthusiasts of some other car trying to make fun of owners there by touting the worst test results we can find. And most of us know that it's not only biased - it's dishonest to do so.

Your past posts give me the feeling that you're the magazine bench racer type. And if I'm completely mistaken, then please forgive me. Nonetheless, I read 'scan' and 'article' in gheba's post (although gheba wanted a scan of C&D's article) and threw out the MT article. I even state that it was from a July 93 issue (meaning I am aware that it's w/ a 3.0L NSX).

You say that article is biased, but it tests all those cars in a similar timeframe, similar track conditions, similar weather conditions, etc. I tend to think that's the best type of test you can have.

Anyway, all the magazine numbers you quote seem to vary. Even moreso for the Supra, 300ZX, 3KGT, etc. That should tell you something. There are many factors that may affect the numbers and in the end it's all up to the driver.

And since you're taking a cheap jab at me: I put more credibility on those who actually take their car to the track for a timeslip or go around the roadcourse than those who quote magazine numbers. Those who actually drive their car know that magazine numbers should be taken lightly, especially if there's < 0.5 second difference.

I'm on this forum because I like the NSX. I want an NSX, but can't afford one right now. I've got the brochures, the Kyosho models, and the David Kimble clock -- heck, even ask my g/f what I want next. I made my decision early on to get a 300ZX so I'm going to enjoy it for a few more years. If my actions seem contrary, then it's because I'm not as brand loyal as some. I can see good things in every car.

Some think supraforums.com is a rat-infested place and Supra owners arseholes. In some cases, nsxprime is much the same way (heck, every forum will have the brand-loyal fanatics) -- Supra owners just make it more obvious. Example: if anybody posts anything bad about the NSX, it turns into a lynch mob; how is that mature and different from other forums? And I do find great humour and irony when there's a post about a snobby Ferrari owner that won't give an NSX owner the time of day. Some NSX owners are the same way to the 300ZX, Supra, etc. owners.

You think I'm taunting NSX owners. I think I'm more grounded than you. I'm on many forums - this forum, nsxsc.com, supraforums.com, corvetteforum.com, twinturbo.net, ls1.com, etc. If you've seen any of my [rare] posts from those forums, then you know I'm mostly a lurker and not a troll. Even when something bad is said about the 300ZX, I will usually keep my mouth shut. I know what the 300ZX is capable of and if you think otherwise, then I'm not gonna try and change your mind.

Cheers,

Michael.

BTW, since you're probably reading this, I'll make another comment about another thread where you say the 300ZX and Supra are pigs and are muscle cars. Yes, the 300ZX and Supra are heavy, but the NSX, 300ZX, and Supra ultimately share the same creature comforts, same features, same goal, etc. The NSX accomplishes its goal w/ reduced weight, the other two w/ turbochargers. And what you fail to realize is that the 300ZX and Supra are in fact de-tuned race cars and are not meant to be muscle cars. Both have been rather successful in professional and amateur racing (IMSA, SCCA, etc.).

Unfortunately, you seem to only know/recognize the NSX accolades at best.

------------------
1994 300ZX Twin Turbo

[This message has been edited by mdoan300 (edited 14 August 2002).]

there are 2 guys i know of, who were able to buy a couple of diablo svr race cars. they have been able to convert them for road use. curb weight on these cars is roughly 2900pds. one of these guys sent the motor to lamborghini, were it was completetly redone, and supposedly making 800hp naturally aspirated. now he's adding a 200 shot of nitrous. thats the car i'd like to see in the challange.
i think the other guy is going to run his in the one lap of america race.

I didn't read all the responses so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not.

Did everyone forget the NSX is basically 11 years old? I mean other car companies have updated all their cars since the NSX's introduction back in 91, yet the NSX is still able to compete with the "new kids" I personally hope Honda will make the new NSX out perform or hang with other car manufacturer's sports cars for the next 11 years.

I wonder how well a 2002 NSX with just Comptech I/H/E + 9.0 lbs SC would do in this comptetition vs the 155K NSX they tested. Any opinions? My guess is that it would be pretty damn close and you would come in saving 50K.

[This message has been edited by NetViper (edited 14 August 2002).]

for those of you who think the nsx is the greatest car...
if you had $80k to blow on a car, and you currently didnt own an nsx, would you buy the new nsx?

Originally posted by nicholas421:
if you had $80k to blow on a car, and you currently didnt own an nsx, would you buy the new nsx?

Responding as someone who doesn't think the NSX is the greatest car
biggrin.gif
yes, I would. I might also consider a used NSX as an alternative, one that wasn't available at the time I bought mine.

Originally posted by nicholas421:

Been there, done that... [back in '99, new NSX-Z] And it turned out that the NSX was a much better investment than the stock that was liquidated to acquire it!

[This message has been edited by Number9 (edited 14 August 2002).]

a new one for 80k? never. a used one for 30k?absolutely. 80k these days will buy you a very nice 355gts, sometimes with a few dollars to spare. for significantly less, a 993tt,a later model 348 coupe or convert,94 3.6 porsche turbo,etc.
ultimately, my decision would have to be based on if i needed to drive the car daily, because if i didnt, you could also have a countach, testarossa, and if you had a few bucks more, an early diablo.
btw, while at acura this morning, i looked at 2 2002 nsx's both stickering about 90k. i spoke to the general manager who was questioning me about my lotus. i asked about what the best deal he'd give me on the one on the floor. he said 3k off. i told him about the other dealers giving 15k off and he said" not a chance, buy it from them". so its 87,000 for the nsx.

so its 87,000 for the nsx

...if you insist on buying a 2002 from your dealer.

I rather doubt the $75K story for a 2002. But I bet you could find a new 2001 for that price, or a new 2002 for $85K now, or for $83K if you wait another month or two.

80k for a slightly updated, 11 year old design? if i had that kind of money, i wouldnt waste it on a new NSX, but 30k on a used low mileage one is a great deal. in fact that is about what i paid for mine. i belive the nsx CURRENTLY represents style and exclusivity with decent performance, but for 80k i would expect more in todays market. but if you have money to burn, more powere to you......on another note, 30k will also get you one of these, and it looks pretty exotic, is super rare, and has honda reliability! http://www.k1-styling.sk/default2.htm

You guys act like you are surprised by their findings... come on.

Come on now..

If the test subject had been a stock '02 model, then one would not be as surprised / disappointed with the test results. In fact, one would fully expect the Z06 to post better numbers. However, the test subject was a rolling Comptech parts bin!!

And to have THAT NSX be a full six seconds slower than a stock Z06, it is indeed both surprising and disappointing.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 14 August 2002).]

Each and every on eof you who actually own one of these cars and are honest with yourself will have to ultimately come to grips with the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of the NSX.

I would think that most owners on this board were educated buyers and did their due-diligence prior to purchasing an NSX. And as such most are fully cognizant of both the positive and negative attributes of the NSX.

I doubt many owners made their purchase decisions based on the assumption that the NSX was going to be the greatest performing car ever and that it would dominate all would-be competitors at the track.

BTW, aren't you the one that bought new, lost big, and now fully regret your purchase decision?

I could be wrong, but it appears that you are the one that should've considered the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly before you took the plunge.

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 14 August 2002).]

"...Unlike the Z, the last-gen RX-7 finally did come out as a lighter, track-ready sports car..."

Actually the latest (and therefore last) generation Z car has come out in a version that's a lighter, track-ready sports car.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

I didn't think the new Z "track version" was any lighter. If it is, it is probably not by much. Also, for 36K, I think a used NSX will run circles around it on the track.

I think the new Z is much lighter than the previous generation of ZX.

As far as a NSX running circles around the Z...I guess that remains to be seen. It might be closer than we think.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

Back